Old 07-03-2018, 07:01 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Spinal Cord Stimulator

I'm looking for any first hand experience from anyone here on the forum that has a spinal cord stimulator implant and if they've had good luck with it on the road. I guess technically you're supposed to turn them off while driving, but that defeats the purpose of having one if long drives hurt your back.

I'm currently doing the trial experiment for a week and am having good pain relief. Wonder what others have experienced with a SCS while traveling. The good the bad. I would really appreciate any input, it's a huge decision to have this implant installed in my body.

Thanks folks.

mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Tucson , AZ
I don't have anything to offer at this point but will follow along to learn more. Also curious as to what your tow vehicle is and how long could you drive before the back pain becomes an issue (before the implant)? I know with me the first day is not much of a problem, it's the successive days that start to be an issue.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:05 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
I am very interested in this issue. My wife is at the stage that she is going to have to have the spinal implant test also. She had back surgery 6 months ago and is having terrible pain.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Hey Brian, thanks for responding. I drive a 310 Classic Motorhome. New flexsteel seats but not near the comfort of today's pickups. Like you, first day isn't too bad if I keep it under 3.5-4 hours. Subsequent days get worse and worse. To a point now that once we reach a destination 2 or 3 days drive, I'm in pretty bad shape. This SCS is kind of a last ditch effort. Currently taking pain meds and would like to reduce those to a minimum. Having good luck after 5 days on this trial unit. Wires inserted through the skin and up along the side of my spine, and the unit taped to my back. The permanent unit would be all internal.

I was thinking maybe somebody in our group here may have one now and could share their experience. Thanks again Brian
Old 07-03-2018, 08:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan guy View Post
I am very interested in this issue. My wife is at the stage that she is going to have to have the spinal implant test also. She had back surgery 6 months ago and is having terrible pain.
Ill make sure to keep you posted on how mine ends up. My pain has gotten to a point where it's debilitating. Making every day life chores challenging let alone the maintenance on our 36 year old Airstream Motorhome. I'm about 12 yrs into this. Apparently the surgeons Ive seen up till now (5) feel the surgery would be too risky. Severe bilateral foraminal stenosis S1-L5.

I guess the stimulators are fairly common after failed back surgery. Please wish your wife the best and make sure she knows she is not alone.....severe chronic pain can be a very lonely place.

Also, if you would, let her know that for the first time in over ten years my first steps out of bed were not total agony. For three days now with this stimulator.

Good luck,

Mike
Old 07-03-2018, 08:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I have zero to offer this thread except empathy... bad knees and hip seem trivial by comparison. Wish all people with this kind of pain to find a solution. Wouldn't it be wonderful if the test unit's paim relief actually let you start healing so well you would not need the permanent one?

Something protagonist said a while back did stick in my mind - that the seat in his Sprinter was so comfortable that he.could drive 900 miles in a bugout situation and not be in pain at the end. Clearly NO change in a seat or mattress can achieve that for anyone with a bad back injury, but still, taking some time to check out alternative supporting seating can be something to try.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2018, 07:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Hey Mike,

My mom has one of these units in her back. She has had mixed results and it has been implanted for about 5 years now. She continued to be in a lot of pain and had to go in for numerous adjustments to the implant, changes in doctors etc.... before finally getting it adjusted right. For now, she seems to be in less pain and is much more mobile. She and my father traveled with a 5th wheel for years. Unfortunately it all came to an end when she had the implant done. They are, however, much older than you are and were slowing down with their outings. Please keep us all updated. Sorry you are going through this.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:07 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Hiya Steve!
So glad to hear from you. Thank you for the info, Ive been reading everything I can get my hands (eyes) on. Readjustment seems to be a common problem with the leads/wires.
I'm in my sixth day of the trial and I gotta say it's been helping. But it definitely would have to be supplemented with some medication. I gotta figure this out because I refuse to stop traveling, just not going to do it. It sucks but it's just another step in the road ya know, it is what it is!

Happy 4th to you and Willie, hugs from Lynn and she sends a big HELLO!
Old 07-04-2018, 08:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
In addition to the "pain clinic Doctor, one might also try a Dr. of physical medicine and physical therapist. They could do an evaluation and suggest a seating system to reduce spinal pressure. There is a cushion called "Roho" $$$ that might help. Research Roho.
Airtandem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:18 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Had a custom motorcycle seat made by a chap that was an ER nurse. He put soft foam where the butt bones touch the seat and stiffer foam for the rest of the backside. Completely stopped the "monkey butt" issue for long rides. I could do 1,000 mile days without backside discomfort.

Suggest really looking into a custom drive's seat.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:04 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Good to hear from you as well Mike...please give Lynn our best and keep us all updated on your progress. If I have to come drive the motorhome myself for you so you can be on the road....give me a shout!! LOL
Old 07-04-2018, 09:28 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Thank you for those suggestions, I'll do some research. The new flex steel seats have been a big help, my old seats were original. One good thing about the stimulator is that it can be surgically removed if need be. Not like fusion and other procedures.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:58 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
In regards to the Roho cushion, with proper documentation, it might be covered by insurance. I used several when dealing with para and quads. No, I was in sales but worked with hospital.
The Roho is,likened to a tray,of eggs that each individual is filled,with air. Why inflated to correct pressure would be like zero gravity. Also allowed for good air circulation to keep cool and dry.
Just a suggestion.
Mike
Airtandem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:39 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
In regards to the Roho cushion, with proper documentation, it might be covered by insurance. I used several when dealing with para and quads. No, I was in sales but worked with hospital.
The Roho is,likened to a tray,of eggs that each individual is filled,with air. Why inflated to correct pressure would be like zero gravity. Also allowed for good air circulation to keep cool and dry.
Just a suggestion.
Mike
Whoa! That sounds great with or without spine issues!