Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2018, 07:13 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I have had back problems off and on for decades. What worked best for me was Shiatsu. But my Shiatsu guy retired and I have not found another one yet. Since I moved to Oregon, I'm still searching for that Shiatsu person to fix me. Chiropractors don't help me and neither does Acupuncture. I recently had another back problem and was prescribed a "TENS" unit and the one I bought from Costco on line also has "EMS" built in. I wonder if it might work better to use a TENS unit instead of a transplant?
A tens unit, while providing some relief, only shocks the muscle. A SCS actually shocks the nerves which blocks the pain signal from making up to the brain. It's kind of like comparing apples to oranges. One caution is you can still over do with an SCS and will not know you are hurting yourself until you the power the unit down. For someone with minor back issues I wouldn't suggest a SCS but for those who have exhausted all other avenues the SCS is a real and viable option.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:36 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973Argosy View Post
A tens unit, while providing some relief, only shocks the muscle. A SCS actually shocks the nerves which blocks the pain signal from making up to the brain. It's kind of like comparing apples to oranges. One caution is you can still over do with an SCS and will not know you are hurting yourself until you the power the unit down. For someone with minor back issues I wouldn't suggest a SCS but for those who have exhausted all other avenues the SCS is a real and viable option.
Hi, Thank You for explaining the difference.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:14 AM   #23
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
For those who have had a SCS, how long was the post-procedure recovery? I will be having one placed in January and will stay with a friend during the trial for one week since I am on my own and they live much closer to the MD than I do but very curious as to “recovery “ time. How soon could you drive? Resume regular activity? I don’t want to impose on friends very long, even the week is 4 days too long but I don’t have other options.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:47 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I just met with my sergeon on Monday to discuss the procedure and recovery. It looks like recovery time is 12 weeks. During that time you won't be able to lift your elbows above your shoulders and no lifting of anything over 8lbs.
This period gives time for your body to start growth around the probes to keep them from moving and time for the incision to heal and staples removed. Hopefully I'll have mine placed in August.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:54 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
It's very interesting how this works. I thought that the electrical would be at the point of the pain, not true at all. It "grabs" the first nerve it kind find so to speak, mine was in the front of my right leg, and sends the electrical pulses there to distract the brain. I was AMAZED during the trial after over a decade in really horrible pain and meds. I had very low expectations of it doing any good.
I didn't know how to act, seriously. I went through hours and hours pain free.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:16 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
It's very interesting how this works. I thought that the electrical would be at the point of the pain, not true at all. It "grabs" the first nerve it kind find so to speak, mine was in the front of my right leg, and sends the electrical pulses there to distract the brain. I was AMAZED during the trial after over a decade in really horrible pain and meds. I had very low expectations of it doing any good.
I didn't know how to act, seriously. I went through hours and hours pain free.
My whole left leg is affected and my right isn't much better. It surprised me to find out the electrodes were actually placed in my thoracic section of the spine not the lumbar section. I was fused l5 to s1 due to breaking l5 vertebrae and had major boney overgrowth after surgery that grew into all sorts nerves. My l5 nerve root was severely damaged leaving me with a limp, constant pain, tingles,weakness and numbness. Always fun trying to explain its numb but hurts like hell. My left leg supports me sometimes and not at others. I was still working when I had the scs implanted. While it did allow me to get back to about 70% full function it did not stop my left leg from failing to support me. Unfortunately I took a spill at work and demolished my left wrist requiring a complete rebuild including donor parts. At that point I made the decision to slow down and stop working. I guess my point is that if you have weakness in the legs an scs will not help that aspect, but it does do an amazing job of controlling the pain.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:31 AM   #27
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Thank you both for sharing your experiences. I totally get the numb but hurts like hell. I honestly cannot remember a time when my back wasn’t hurting. Everything form T11 down is fused and stabilized. Docs are wanting to give SCS a shot but I would need to hire help for ADL’s and with a 3 month recovery period I would be looking at a minimum of $40,000.00 for vetted, qualified, certified home Healthcare aid since I’m on my own now (hubby passed away 2 years ago @ 59) but I will check with my insurance provider to see how much of that they might cover. Guess it’s a matter of pay now or pay later.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:07 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
My whole left leg is affected and my right isn't much better. It surprised me to find out the electrodes were actually placed in my thoracic section of the spine not the lumbar section. I was fused l5 to s1 due to breaking l5 vertebrae and had major boney overgrowth after surgery that grew into all sorts nerves. My l5 nerve root was severely damaged leaving me with a limp, constant pain, tingles,weakness and numbness. Always fun trying to explain its numb but hurts like hell. My left leg supports me sometimes and not at others. I was still working when I had the scs implanted. While it did allow me to get back to about 70% full function it did not stop my left leg from failing to support me. Unfortunately I took a spill at work and demolished my left wrist requiring a complete rebuild including donor parts. At that point I made the decision to slow down and stop working. I guess my point is that if you have weakness in the legs an scs will not help that aspect, but it does do an amazing job of controlling the pain.
Dear GOD, and I thought I had it bad! I hope you have some quality of life having all that misery. Hang in there, at least we know we're not alone in this struggle with chronic pain.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:36 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Mike....we will be thinking of you. Please continue to post updates. It took forever for my Mom's unit to be calibrated correctly and it has given her a better life most of the time. She was in so much pain before. Have they told you when you will be able to get on the road and drive again?
Old 07-19-2018, 08:14 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Hiya Steve. Right now it's in the hands of the insurance company for approval, shouldn't be a problem just takes time. Hopefully I'll have the surgery by the end of August then we will have to see if it needs adjustment. 12 weeks tops I'm hoping. Really want to be in Colorado as soon as possible. We were hoping for September to take off but that's not lookin good. I MISS MY KIDS! Hehehehehe, need to see that little grandson. So, we might do a short trip before CO just to see how it feels, maybe end of Sept or early October? We will just have to see what the doc says. It's really an attitude changer to have this to look forward to. The trial went so well Steve, I can't even put it in words....
i kept feeling like something was missing.......well ya.......the pain was missing. Weird I know but when it's with you 24/7 you come to expect it to be there, the dang thing worked! Ill update the thread, I don't want to bore anyone about this though. But considering the age demographic of our group I thought it was worth posting about this and how it could help others in our traveling adventures.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:18 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Mike - Sounds like you have researched it thoroughly. If you aren't ready to drive it yourself, I will come your way and commandeer the rig to Colorado for you.....LOL
Old 07-19-2018, 08:47 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
You're on! A DRIVER! Can we call you Jeeves?
Old 07-20-2018, 05:47 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Mike....Jeeves works well. Only if I get to wear a drivers hat. Oh, and, I don't do windows.