Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
El Paso isn't that bad. One can take the Transmountain Road/375 bypass, for instance, but it's more of a scenic diversion than a time-saver. EP only seems bad because it's a bottleneck on an otherwise fast moving Interstate.

IMO, IH-40 just isn't worth it this time of year. A few hours of winds, alone, make it undesirable by comparison to the southern route.

Everytime I go o New Mexico for business, I take the by-pass around EP.

Saves time and aggravation.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:23 PM   #16

1996 32' Cutter Bus
Petaluma , California
Hey Mr. S! You are a good person to do this. I live 40 miles north of San Francisco and have a vacation/future retirement home in Las Cruces, New Mexico near El Paso. I make the trip 2-4 times per year. I always prefer the I-40 route and take it when possible, but the I-10 route is faster. So I take I-10 most of the time. You can get snow on I-40 in the winter and you can get snow on I-5 on the Grapevine too. Now on the I-10, you can get stuck in a sandstorm anywhere from Deming, NM to Phoenix, AZ in March or April... but not right now. You're not going to run out of fuel at all on either route, but fill up every container you have full of diesel in Quartzite, AZ before you get into California before the price goes up $1.00/gallon. Once in California, do whatever you can to avoid the massive amount of traffic in San Bernadino, Riverside and LA counties. Try to do that part on a Saturday or Sunday morning if possible. If not possible, try to avoid it altogether via Tehachapi or something. Be sure to check weather conditions all along the way. Good luck. You have the potential to do some excellent sightseeing and tourist stuff all along the way if you can do it.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:37 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamB
Hey Mr. S! You are a good person to do this. I live 40 miles north of San Francisco and have a vacation/future retirement home in Las Cruces, New Mexico near El Paso. I make the trip 2-4 times per year. I always prefer the I-40 route and take it when possible, but the I-10 route is faster. So I take I-10 most of the time. You can get snow on I-40 in the winter and you can get snow on I-5 on the Grapevine too. Now on the I-10, you can get stuck in a sandstorm anywhere from Deming, NM to Phoenix, AZ in March or April... but not right now. You're not going to run out of fuel at all on either route, but fill up every container you have full of diesel in Quartzite, AZ before you get into California before the price goes up $1.00/gallon. Once in California, do whatever you can to avoid the massive amount of traffic in San Bernadino, Riverside and LA counties. Try to do that part on a Saturday or Sunday morning if possible. If not possible, try to avoid it altogether via Tehachapi or something. Be sure to check weather conditions all along the way. Good luck. You have the potential to do some excellent sightseeing and tourist stuff all along the way if you can do it.
Thank you very much for that informational post, I really appreciate it!
I've often been known to go out of my way to help people, but this takes it to a whole new level.
It's all for a good cause. I'm just lucky to have people like everyone that's posted information or experiences to help guide me along the way.
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:17 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
We had a white knuckle drive from San Diego on I 10 headed to ABQ one year, about 5 or 6" of snow. That is not likely this year, but keep a close eye on the weather so you can choose the alternative if needed.

The rest is great advice, and, if you can, please update all of us on this fourm: we all care for each other and want to hear how you are doing.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:13 PM   #19
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
el paso

came thru there today about 10 am....headed west ....you would not want to be....but east bound was not that bad.......

just the horrible smell and sights of this horrendous corporate factory dairy abominations....makes you want to avoid all dairy products......
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Since this isn't a vacation road trip, I'd suggest taking the most direct route:

* 101 south to 152 (Gilroy)
* 152 across to I-5 (near Los Banos)
* I-5 south to I-210 Foothills Freeway (north of LA)
* I-210 east to 57 (near San Dimas)
* 57 south to I-10 eastbound
* I-10 east to Texas.

There are more scenic routes, but considering you probably want to minimize the driving/travel time and have easy access to rest stops and diesel fuel, this is the least complicated, shortest route, with minimimum weather worries. Just try to avoid the big cities during rush hour.

If you are interested in campgrounds and scenic stops, please let us know. There are a lot of beautiful and interesting places to stop in the desert southwest.

Good luck...
Old 02-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Ok folks, I got my confirmed flight details today, I'll arrive in San Jose at 2:30 pm on Feb. 16th and this mission will officially be underway.
I'll keep everyone updated along the way. Thanks everyone for your support and information you've given me.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Good luck, and remember if you need help, we're all a quick note away!

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:38 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee
Good luck, and remember if you need help, we're all a quick note away!
Thanks, glad to know I've got helpful people around in case something happens. Hopefully this will be a smooth trip with no hiccups!
Old 02-11-2012, 08:44 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
If there's one thing you can believe about Streamers, believe that if you need help, they will be there! Its truly amazing.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #25
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
One more item that I would seriously consider is a roadside assistance policy, just in case. If you have an issue on the road, not many people here would be able to assist with a 45' 5th wheel. If the owners have a policy now, make sure it is up to date.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:15 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Ok folks I'm Rollin out! Mission is underway!

Old 02-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ! Stay safe!

Old 02-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #28
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Have a safe and fun trip!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote