Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2009, 11:54 AM   #1

2008 19' International CCD
London , Ontario
Talking Southwest Ontario - Maritimes

We found so many of the threads on here very helpful in the planning of our 2008 19 ft International's maiden voyage, that we are sharing our trip here with you now!

We had 2 weeks to play with, and some family stops along the way, and had an amazing time. We love our new home away from home!!! She pulls like a dream and after hitching up in the rain, could do it with our eyes closed.

We left London, Ontario on a Saturday morning, first sleep to be in the Cornwall area at Glengarry Park. Nice park, on a lake, part of the St Lawrence Parks. Tidy and spacious sites, E, W and dump station.

Learned the hard way to always close screen door, many teeny tiny bugs to kill before bed, okay, hundreds!

Drove through the province of Quebec on Sunday to stay at Camping du Quai in Riviere du Loup, QC. This RV park caters to travellers! Very nice owners, bilingual (my french leaves a lot to be misunderstood), pull through sites. This park is across from a Christmas all year round store and castle. Up the street is a whale watching tour that we stopped and did on the return trip-lost count of the whales, there were so many. We saw Belugas, Fin backs, Minkes, grey seals, and a porpoise.

Off to Frederiction area for 3 days with family...The hills of New Brunswick were a learning curve with the manual transmission and pulling, but we did learn how to conquer them and didn't even notice the hills on the way home. We camped in the driveway since we slept so well in the trailer.

Then off to Nova Scotia to see Halifax, Peggy's Cove, Lunenburg and Mahone Bay.

We stayed on HWY 333 at Wayside RV Park and Campground. Close to Peggy's Cove and only 40 mins from Halifax, and a lovely drive to lighthouse areas...stayed 2 nights. Clean park, friendly and helpful staff.

Then headed to PEI via Confederation bridge, stop in Pugwash to see more family.

We stayed at Bayside Campground in PEI. What can I say about our host Leonard? He made us smile, laugh and made new airstreamers feel like old pro's......We had some issues with our battery by this point in the trip, it was over charging and smelled like rotten eggs. Not good, but we got it disconnected and it is being fixed as I type. Didn't let it ruin the maiden voyage....Thanks for being you, Leonard!

We had regular tours of the trailer as Bayside is home to many airstream owners and lovers!

Spent 3 nights and visited Charlottetown, went deep sea fishing, saw Cavendish, tooted around, ate lobsters and mussels....had a great time!

Then for the trip home, 2 nights back in QC so we could see the whales, and back to Glengarry.

Beautiful weather every day, it rained while we slept or on long driving days, not on tourist days, yay!

So thanks for posting your packing lists, to do lists, where to stay lists....it is read, and it is helpful, especially to us newbies!!!

Here is to the next adventure...

B and A
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009 summer 038.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	396.6 KB
ID:	84562   Click image for larger version

Name:	2009 summer 080.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	449.0 KB
ID:	84563  

Brainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:19 PM   #2
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Thanks for the travelogue. Brainy. And welcome to the Forums and to Airstreaming.

Page and I are heading up that way in a couple of weeks. We're probably going to stop at Penn Woods then Niagara Falls and Algonquin Park. Then follow the St L around Gaspe, PEI, and Nova Scotia.

I'm glad you didn't report that finding spots was a problem as we don't generally make plans very far in advance.

See you on the road.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
The handy accountant

1976 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Ontario
Sounds like you had an amazing time. I want to head that way at some point too. \

Welcome to the forums!
"I nostri cuori e le menti appartengono al flusso d'aria"
pageclot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:01 PM   #4

2008 19' International CCD
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
I'm glad you didn't report that finding spots was a problem as we don't generally make plans very far in advance.

Well that's what my current querie is.....to book ahead or not to book ahead. Yes, we did not book ahead for travelling nights, just in case, and were always able to stay where we "planned". But to book the few nights in certain areas or not is a tough one, we usually ended up calling the night before knowing we would actually make it where we were heading...but the time we booked ahead for a certain campground( a month ahead!) we were late due to a family function on the road we did not know about(a stop for a coffee and a visit turned into a family party), so we were a day late but still stayed the amount of nights we booked, and called to inform! I don't know....but more adventures will dictate what we are comfortable with....

Any advice? To book ahead or not when touring a certain region or trying to fit in a few states/provinces on your trip?
Brainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Charlottetown , Canada
Glad you girls made it home safe! (my little high maintenance girls......lol lol lol ) It was nice meeting you both and hopefully we will run into you again somewhere down the road, or your next trip to PEI!

Leonard
WBCCI9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBCCI9898 View Post
Glad you girls made it home safe! (my little high maintenance girls......lol lol lol ) It was nice meeting you both and hopefully we will run into you again somewhere down the road, or your next trip to PEI!

Leonard
Ok Len, you got our attention. Now lets hear the rest of the story!!!! LOL
Old 08-07-2009, 08:00 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Stratford , Prince Edward Island
Send a message via Yahoo to macofpei Send a message via Skype™ to macofpei
It was great to have met you both. Thanks for the advice on welding the door latch -I wasn't sure it could be welded and still be usefull.- I had that done and it works perfect. I doubt it will ever break again.
Mich and I hope to see you again, somewhere, sometime.
Mac--aka--- Shut-up Larry
WBCCI #4782
"Southern Belle"
'03 Classic 30'
'10 Toyota CrewMax
macofpei is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maritimes, nova scotia, pei, quebec