Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2014, 07:23 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Southern NJ to Disney World maiden voyage

Headed down to Disney world to pick up our new (for us) 1964 28' Ambassador. We are so pumped.

I have a family of 5 and I'd like to make sure we get them as good of a first run in our airstream as possible.

I'm looking for any help with best routes, stops and campgrounds along the way.

I'd think my kids max drive time would be about 3.5-4 hours til they get antsy and need to get out a stretch & run around a bit.

Friend of mine said the blue ridge highway is a nice option, but i'm not even sure where it is or where to pick it up.

Thanks in advance for any help with a fun route for my crew.
gomotomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:01 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Malden , Missouri
I wish I could help you with the trip, but I've got no info. Just wanted to chime in to say, "have fun!" Our fam loves mouseland and picking up an AS--icing on the cake!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
ragin-cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
The BRP is a 469 mile long National Park that starts in Wanesboro, Va and ends at the Great Smokey Mountains NP in NC.
Are you tent camping going south or traveling north with the Airstream and camping then or both?

What an awesome family trip.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:27 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
We are driving down to orlando to pick up the airstream, staying a few days down there, then driving home.

Both there and back we'll have two nights on the road. On the way there, just the family in the truck. On the way back, we'll have the airstream in tow.

Just trying to have a basic plan
Old 09-24-2014, 07:39 AM   #5
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
The Blue Ridge is a great choice but I think it's a bit slow for a 2 day trip. Save it for a dedicated vacation in the mountains. The northern end is Shenendoah Nat. PK. They have several campgrounds in the NP. I think they are all dry camping so be prepared for that. On the Blue Ridge Pky end there are private campgrounds along the way. They do charge a fee to get into the NP but when you exit onto the Blue Ridge Pky there is no more charges. The speed through the NP and Blue Ridge Pky is limited to 45 mph I think so that's why I say it might be a bit slow for your current trip.

Whichever way you choose have a great trip.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:19 AM   #6
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomotomoto View Post
Both there and back we'll have two nights on the road. On the way there, just the family in the truck. On the way back, we'll have the airstream in tow.
By my estimate you are looking at 350 miles per day. That should be easy without the AS but on the way back you may be pushing it. Might be better to plan an extra day on the way back.

And I agree to avoid the Blue Ridge. It's a great ride that I've done a few times, but you won't break any speed records getting to your destination.
SCOTTinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:22 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
The Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Pky is pretty for awhile, but can be tedious too, esp if you have a destination like FL in mind. Very curvy. You may find out too late if any of your kids are prone to car sickness... as I did with my daughter on the "Road to Hana" in Maui.

Consider that as of Nov 1, you will be driving in EST and very short days. Not fun to drive such roads in the dark. Also, most of the leaves will have turned and be mostly down, which makes those curves even more treacherous if you get to be in a hurry. Then there is the likelihood of fog or even snow....

I'd stick to the coast. As I said in the other post, I like the DelMarVa, but it too can get hairy esp if there are NorEaster conditions (remember Sandy?) There are lots of towns and agricultural sites to see (if you like cornfields and chicken farms... it is educational for the kids to understand where McNuggets come from). I also like visiting towns on the "Eastern Shore" like Chestertown and Ocean City... And the skies are full of migrating birds that time of year. The Chesapeake Bay is beautiful and the bridge and tunnel(s) are a great destination for kids to anticipate with places to stop and observe (I have seen schools of dolphins from the bridge).

You bypass Megapolis, and don't have to mess with Charlotte or Atlanta, but if you like 6 lanes of highway each direction, by all means go for it!

Norfolk is also steeped in maritime history so it makes a good destination. Then there is Myrtle Beach, which in the off season should be cheap. Also Savannah. Getting off on US Hwy 17 for a spell is very relaxing and interesting too.

If you do go the Mountain route... Keep it 'tween the ditches and don't straighten out any curves.

Just my two cents worth.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Sounds very exciting. Is this your first airstream and/or travel trailer? Have you seen your new airstream in person? If the answers are yes it could effect the responses you get.......

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:12 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
By my estimate you are looking at 350 miles per day. That should be easy without the AS but on the way back you may be pushing it. Might be better to plan an extra day on the way back.

And I agree to avoid the Blue Ridge. It's a great ride that I've done a few times, but you won't break any speed records getting to your destination.

Great point (in reference to the trip back with the airstream).

How many miles would you recommend per day for a new RV'r?
Old 09-24-2014, 09:41 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomotomoto View Post
Great point (in reference to the trip back with the airstream).

How many miles would you recommend per day for a new RV'r?
Somewhere between 300 and 350 miles a day would be my recommendation, if you want to make progress. You may want to extend things a little and make the trip more of a vacation, then you can take it a little easier.

On my first long trip, we headed south down the I75 from Detroit to Orlando. We had two overnight stops and did about 400 miles each traveling day; we had a target date to achieve and I wanted to make progress, otherwise I might have driven a little less each day. I felt fine with the driving and the kids kept themselves busy in the back with their electronics. We stopped around every 2 to 2.5 hours for a break.

Everyone has their own view, that was just my own experience.

Last year my trip to Plymouth (Mass.) and back through Quebec City and Montreal was done at a slightly slower pace, with an average of around 350 miles each traveling day. The longest run was 417 miles, which wouldn't have been so bad but for the traffic in southern New Hampshire which made the day longer than I'd planned

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote