Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Columbia Falls , Montana
Southern Idaho Campground Suggestions, Anyone?

Our family is planning a spring break trip from northern Montana (Columbia Falls) to Zion National Park in Utah. We're looking for suggestions for a good half-way point camping spot off of I-15 somewhere between Pocatello and the Utah border? Any sugesstions?

Also, we're thinking of making reservations at Watchman Campground at Zion. Have never been there before... Any advice?

Thanks!
MTsafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:00 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2018 Atlas
Orange Beach , Alabama
Stayed at Zion the weekend after Thanksgiving. Very nice park, but crowded our first day (Thanksgiving vacation campers). The views are magnificent. Watchman has hookups, South does not. This a great place to hike and bike.

We got there from Louisiana by driving up to Trinidad Lake SP Colorado and then westbound on 160 across Wolf Creek Pass and down to Dead Horse Point SP near Moab. It was cold with lows ranging from 9 to 19 at night, but days were mostly sunny and "less cold" highs in the 30's and 40's.

Two pics: rocks at Zion from the campground and some snow on our departure day (Sunday after Thanksgiving) as we headed over to Nevada and Valley of Fire Campground near Las Vegas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zion Campsite resized for upload 25 percent.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	117279   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snow on campsite resized 25 percent.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	117280  

jdthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:12 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Columbia Falls , Montana
Thank you! Great pictures! Hopefully at the end of March the temps will be higher! Did you make reservations at Watchman in advance? Do they have sewer, water and electrical hookups, or just electric?

Also, how do you like your front mounted bike rack? We're planning on having a new hitch mounted on the front of our truck (Ford F250) this year. We've loaded 4 bikes in the back of our truck one too many times!
Old 12-19-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2018 Atlas
Orange Beach , Alabama
I did reserve campsites for our visit but the campground didn't fill while we were there. Watchman has water and electric; there is a dump station just outside of the A loop, and another over by the entrance to South.

I have a 2 inch receiver on the front of our Ford F250 SuperDuty. The bike rack fits there and the bikes ride well up front. Night driving is not the best as the tires restrict the headlamps. This arrangement adds another couple feet to about 43 feet truck and trailer combined.

Attached are a couple more pics. I mentioned earlier about driving over wolf creek pass; my little dog didn't care for the altitude and switchbacks. I would not care to do it in blowing snow or after dark.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JD and Mika driving wolf creek pass resized for upload.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	117352   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zion from Museum Observation Deck.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	117353  

jdthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
If it was me, I would drive 89 from your home.... stay the night in Grand Teton National Park and then 89 south to Zion... stay off the Interstate!

Todd
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:30 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Columbia Falls , Montana
Great idea!