Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Southeastern Trip in the Fall

Barbara and I plan to spend time this Fall driving up to the Outer Banks region of NC and then returning home (Milton, Florida).

We plan to work our way up and back in the Eastern third of Georgia and the Carolinas. I am seeking information on Federal, State, county and commercial (private) parks to use for the AS. Cost is not the concern. What I really wish to know is the type of facilities (full hook-ups are required), road conditions, your experience, etc. We generally prefer good county roads and US highways, but do also use Interstate Highways.

We will visit Savannah, GA and Charleston SC as two points of interest.

Any and all input will be appreciated.
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I recommend "Sands of Time CG" in Avon on the OBX. It is a small private CG in the middle. Look for the water tank.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Roswell , Georgia
I recommend Skidaway Island State Park, right in Savannah. W/E, but the roads in the campground get a bit muddy. Easy access to historic Savannah and Tybee Island. Skidaway Island State Park | Georgia State Parks
Old 08-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I spent the summer in South Carolina in a focused one state pursuit of camping. It was fantastic. I had always just passed through that state on my way to somewhere else but it has a beauty all its own. Depending on where you will be passing through, there is a really nice camping resort in Hilton Head not far from the Interstate 95. I assume you might travel I-10 and 95 at some point?
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Here is the website for the camping resort I mentioned at Hilton Head:

RV Resort & Yacht Club Owners' Association - Hilton Head Island

All driveways (no leveling) and full hookups, pool, etc. The lots are individually owned and they rent them out. When you go, all you do is book a reservation. When you get there you pick the one you want that is available. The office lets you know. Its Good Sam too. Its not a back to nature site but nice. There are several write-ups on this park online. There are two in the area, this one and one that caters to motorhomes ONLY. This has everything - all hookups, and wifi, etc.

I will mention that we also stayed at an 'off the beaten path' state park for three days - Croft State Park in Spartanburg - very nice. Super woodsy with electric and water and dump station. It is somewhat remote but really nice. We were on a hill with steep sides looking down over a lake through the trees. If you go out that way in SC be sure to see Greenville and stroll the streets especially around Falls Park. It is a waterfall brook in the city at a park's edge. Neat town. Just be aware that the park is somewhat rugged and there are steep hills. Being from FL I was somewhat taken as I pulled the AS down an embankment to the campsite that had boards across a ditch at the bottom. Hey, I made it and there were bigger rigs than mine that had crossed it too. Still, it is an outdoorsman's place for sure.

Our regular stomping ground has become Anastasia State Park, St Augustine - we REALLY like that one, though it may take you further south than you want to go.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
check-out River's End at Tybee Island, GA. The campground is city owned and offers some sites with sewer and cable as well as free Wi-Fi. It's just a couple of blocks walk to the beach. The drive thru downtown Savannah can be a bit tight, but not difficult.
I agree with rodsterinfl regarding Anastasia Park, but the park does not have sewer.
I hear that Ft Clinch State Park (FL) is really nice, but again no sewer. Fernandino Beach does have a ferry to Cumberland Island. The park is also close to St Mary's Ga and the National Park Sevice Ferry to Cumberland Island.
Next month we are going, for several days, to Hunting Island State Park (no sewer) near Beaufort, SC.
You may also want to visit the Okefenokee Swamp while in the area.
Hope you have a great trip!!

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
S.C. ...... it's all good

Hilton Head, Beaufort, Charleston, Georgetown, Myrtle Beach. Some of the best coastal camping anywhere. Mega parks to State parks. Low country cuisine. US Hwy's 17, 21, 321, 378. I's 95, 77, 85.

Come chek us out. Smiling faces, beautiful places.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
I agree with rodsterinfl regarding Anastasia Park, but the park does not have sewer.
True, most of the FL state parks that offer camping do not have full hook up but have a dump station.

Ho there SC camper sandlapper! Yes you have a beautiful state. We found that what everyone told us to see we were lightly impressed with but had some great surprises. We loved the northwest and western area - not much ever shared with us about. We were so impressed with the Spartanburg/Greer/Greenville area that we talked about moving there! Some of the neighborhoods were beautiful and the area landscape was lush. Hilton Head was nice too. Very difficult to find any stores with everything hidden in the trees but could get used to it. Nearly all buildings were the same color! Zoomed around Columbia too for a while. Reminded us of an average southern city. Went by the State Farmers Market.

We always heard kudos for Charleston but were not too fond of it- the crowds, the poo smell was awful in the heat for blocks. The buildings were nice but you can see old buildings in many cities. Perhaps it was just our experience but the disney-like crowds were just too much. The Magnolia Plantation was great.