Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Montgomery , Texas
South Texas Campgrounds

I want to spend a week in South Texas, preferably in the S. Padre Island area in December. I would prefer the Texas State Parks system but it doesn't appear that there are any in the area. Can anyone recommend a campground in the area that doesn't squeeze you in like a can of sardines? I've taken a look at the Padre Island KOA and Isla Blanca but I'm just not looking for that kind of environment. Thanks!
Old 11-22-2013, 04:04 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
If you're looking for state park + gulf, Mustang Island SP has campsites. (I don't know if South Padre is higher priority for you, or coastal camping.) Alas, it looks like the most "parking lot" style campsite area I've ever seen at a Texas state park (looking at an aerial photo.)

The National Seashore area on Padre and the county at Port Aransas allow boondocking on some of the beaches themselves. You might not want to do that for a whole week, but you might be able to get some decent separation between you and the next camper!

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Montgomery , Texas
Thanks DKB! I looked at Mustang but it's too far from where I want to be that week. I want to spend the week touring the World Birding Center in Weslaco, Brownsville, Harlingen etc. Any recommendations for parks in those areas?
Old 11-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I got nothin'. I'm sure you've already checked, but according to TPWD there are no RV camping facilities at the 3 parks that are part of the Birding Center. Another challenge you may have is battling Winter Texans for private facilities, too. Good luck to you!

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote