Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-02-2009, 06:53 PM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
South East Tennessee Fly Fishing

Since I am currently back in middle TN for the foreseeable future, I have been giving some thought to heading over to the Cherokee National Forest to do some fly fishing and so forth. I am most familiar with the Hiwassee up above Reliance, but I am thinking it might be fun to check out some of the other streams in the area.

So, anyone with ideas for fishing or camping, I would love to hear them. I prefer forest service campgrounds, or boondocking. Also, if anyone wants to join up for a mini-rally let me know. I'm thinking early to mid August. Thanks in advance.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:58 PM   #2
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Perfessor, I just got back from there a few hours ago. It was 51 degrees outside Brevard, NC this morning. Great stuff. I'm not a fisherman, but the Nantahala and the French Broad rivers are great places to visit. Also look at Cades Cove (hope I spelled that right) Beautiful up there along the border.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Rodney, have you ever fished Gee Creek? It's east of Reliance off 411. I've only driven through the campground and was amazed at at how nice the sites were. No hookups but a table and fire ring. Small pull thru types but big enough for a Tradewind.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:11 PM   #4
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Perfessor, I just got back from there a few hours ago. It was 51 degrees outside Brevard, NC this morning. Great stuff. I'm not a fisherman, but the Nantahala and the French Broad rivers are great places to visit. Also look at Cades Cove (hope I spelled that right) Beautiful up there along the border.
Jim
Sounds like you had a nice trip. You are right about those places being great places to visit. I think I will confine myself to TN south of the National Park this trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
Rodney, have you ever fished Gee Creek? It's east of Reliance off 411. I've only driven through the campground and was amazed at at how nice the sites were. No hookups but a table and fire ring. Small pull thru types but big enough for a Tradewind.
I haven't fished any over there, all my fly fishing to date has been in the Rockies. I used to camp at Gee Creek quite a bit when I was leading river trips on the Hiwassee. Truth be told, my interest in fly fishing stems from watching the fishermen on the river when I used to canoe it.

For what its worth, if you want cheap camping during the week with out full hookups, you can stay at Hiwassee Outfitters for something like $7 a night right by the river. A few sites have 110 hookups availble.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:44 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anniston , Alabama
Tellico Plains TN

We just returned from a week of fishing and canoeing on the Hiwassee River this week. We stay at Black Bear Cove Campground which is located on the river just off 411 near Reliance. They have full hookups plus cable. They also have a new lodge which serves really good food at their Cherokee Dining Room. Check out their menu on the website www.blackbearcove.com.

If you are in the area and looking for the freshest and best vegetables, check out the Delano Farmers Market just off 411. The Menonites grow and sell local produce and fruit there and it's always very fresh. Definitely worth a visit.

We also love camping at Indian Boundary Campground near Tellico Plains, TN. It's a forest svc. campground located on the Cherohala Skyway. The sites are great with lots of privacy. The Tellico River also has great trout fishing.

"It is better to wear out than to rust out"......Wally Byam
happycamper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:32 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Leawood , Kansas
I would recommend Tellico, not sure about camp sites. I did tent camp at Indian Boundary about 40 years ago and remember it being very nice. For the best fly fishing fish North River, a tributary of the Tellico. Mostly native fish. I also recommend basing your camp in the Townsend area, a great jumping off place for fishing the Great Smokies. Little River Outfitters is in Townsend, my opinion the best fly shop east of the Mississippi. I am originally from Cleveland Tn, I try to get back to east Tenn. to fish as often as I can.
flyfishsim is offline   Reply With Quote