Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2019, 02:59 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

As far as "how much time?" .... I suspect you could spend a couple of months heading out on various trips from an arbitrary point in the Rapid City area. (yes there are also things to do in town ..... ). A typical recommendation is a week. The gotcha is that there are a lot of other things a few days drive this way or that. Do you spend a month at Custer SP and not go to Yellowstone / Glacier / Grand Teton / Banif / Jasper / Rock Mountain / Theodore Rosevelt / ....?

Bob
We both work, so time is not unlimited. Can't see it all.

We stayed at the lodge in Grand Teton two years ago, and did a day trip to Yellowstone (where we had been before), so don't need to do that again right away.

Theodore Roosevelt is a place I've wanted to see. I'll check that out as a side trip.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:00 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by winfahl View Post
Wall Drug is a must for lunch or dinner, get the hot beef sandwich with extra gravy; best hot beef commercial sandwich anywhere.
Dinosaur park in rapid city, cosmos, badlands are a must. We stayed at a campground in Interior inside the badlands.
The Badlands will be part of this trip.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:01 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaker1011 View Post
The following route to Mt. Rushmore through Custer State Park is spectacular: Take Sylvan Lake Road out of Custer to Sylvan Lake; turn right on Needles Hwy; turn left at Hwy 16 which will take you down through the park; turn left on Iron Mountain Rd. Hope you enjoy the views as much as I did!

Forgot to mention that this route is not recommended for RVs.
I saw that one route through Custer State Park takes you through a very narrow tunnel (too narrow for an Airstream).
Old 08-19-2019, 03:03 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
You must stay in the Badlands, numerous campsites including state. I stayed this spring, think I got there And Left before the big snow above came through (15 May). Absolutely beautiful, looked out over antelope grazing. If you fish, you cannot get to all the lakes and streams in a week, great fishing. I stayed at the Roosters Roost outside of Custer City, about 30m south of a Mt Rushmore.
Big snow in May! That's crazy, from my Southern perspective.

I have a new flyrod I could try out up there ...
Old 08-19-2019, 03:06 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tschupp View Post
We missed Wind Cave due to elevator breakdown but would have seen if available.
I see that Wind Cave National Park is nearby. I had not heard of this park before. Going to read up on that one.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:39 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post
I see that Wind Cave National Park is nearby. I had not heard of this park before. Going to read up on that one.

Don't let Wind Cave's elevator problems dissuade you from visiting. You can combine a wildlife viewing (many times up close and very personal) by doing the Custer State Park Wildlife Loop, then at its bottom, or southern, corner, hopping on County Road 6 which will take you into the eastern side of Wind Cave N.P. Good maps available online from the NPS and Custer Park. Bison abound in these areas. If it fits into your schedule, the Bison roundup in Custer S.P. Sept. 26-28 is very cool to see: https://gfp.sd.gov/buffalo-roundup/
youngpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:25 PM   #67
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Ft. Myers , Florida
Badlands

Just got back from that trip but cane down through Glacier National Park...I know it’s a drive but so worth it!!
rolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:40 PM   #68

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Lincoln , Nebraska
HWY 24 to Devil’s Tower goes through two cowboy towns. Aladdin has a wonderful small cafe and a store with meats direct from the ranch. My family chanced upon Hewitt’s small town parade while we were visiting an antique shop. Rodeos held in the area are a fun adventure. We also happened upon a cattle drive along HWY 24. True Western experiences.
TJ traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:18 PM   #69
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
atlanta , GA
Go check out the wall at the Badlands if you are into Boondocking for a night or 2. Very easy to get in and out. It has the most spectacular views and at dusk you can hear the coyotes howling to each other. It was awesome.

check out our link on RVHive.com

http://www.rvhive.com/boondocking-on...national-park/
kkdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:21 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Warrenton , Virginia
Dinner in Hill City

This isn't a place to se but it's the best place to eat...

In Hill City there is the Alpine Inn and they serve the best steak dinner I have ever had the 9oz Fillet bacon wrapped dinner including salad and baked potato and Texas toast was $13.99. They only have three dinners to choose from but the only one to get is the 9oz. Steak.
They had 24 deserts to choose from.

This steak you can cut with a spoon...no lie they come in from Kansas....I normally don't buy steak dinners on the off chance that it's going to have fat in it, but we ate there three times in a week and I would have eaten there every night if I had known when we arrived.

It's that good I would fly in from Virginia just to eat there

Do not miss it
captainkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:28 PM   #71
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Thanks for this thread! We are going to spend the whole month of September near Rapid City, so this is all valuable advice. I've been to the area a few times years ago, but my husband hasn't. (Someone mentioned the Corn Palace in Mitchell...it is one of those places where you can say, "Yep, I've even been there," which is fun. But I don't recommend making a special trip.)
SnooMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:06 PM   #72
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
St. Louis , Missouri
South Dakota Black Hills

The Crazy Horse monument is astonishing in it’s size, IMHO. It’s privately funded so it is taking a long time to complete. Others have reported much of the form can already be seen now; and it’s scale dwarfs Mount Rushmore. Enjoy your adventure!
Jim Pona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:14 PM   #73

Currently Looking...
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Mesa , Arizona
We were there 25 years ago and folks were saying the same thing. Has there been any progress at all in rear time?
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 07:34 AM   #74
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Omaha , Nebraska
If you go to the Little Bighorn Battlefield also stop by the Bighorn County Museum in Hardin, MT. A real “diamond in the rough”. Amazing buildings an vehicles.
dolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 07:55 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Pona View Post
The Crazy Horse monument is astonishing in it’s size, IMHO. It’s privately funded so it is taking a long time to complete. Others have reported much of the form can already be seen now; and it’s scale dwarfs Mount Rushmore. Enjoy your adventure!
Bigger than Mount Rushmore ... that's something I've got to see.

Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten all about that mountain-art project.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:56 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolson View Post
If you go to the Little Bighorn Battlefield also stop by the Bighorn County Museum in Hardin, MT. A real “diamond in the rough”. Amazing buildings an vehicles.
Vehicles ... what kind?
Old 09-01-2019, 08:49 AM   #77
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Connecticut
Regarding the Corn Palace... "yep, I been there, it's fun, but I wouldn't make a speacial trip." This sums it up!
brundom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:17 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Likeky staying in sheridan or buffalo, then on to the koa at mt rushmore.

Google gives directions via hwy 16 > 385 vs i90 > hwy 14 > 244 or maybe Hwy 85 > 385

Any preferences?
Thx
B
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:32 AM   #79
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Likeky staying in sheridan or buffalo, then on to the koa at mt rushmore.

Google gives directions via hwy 16 > 385 vs i90 > hwy 14 > 244 or maybe Hwy 85 > 385

Any preferences?
Thx
B
If you are on 16 then Buffalo is what you are after. Sheridan would be a bit out of your way. Based on the signs, the folks in Buffalo *really* think that 16 is the right way to go. If I recall their claims about route 16:

1) Shortest route to Yellowstone
2) Least grade route to Yellowstone
3) Fastest route to Yellowstone
4) Most scenic route to Yellowstone
5) Cures baldness ....

I'm sure there were a few more billboards that I missed .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:24 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
If you enjoy history and historic places stop by the DC Booth National Historic Fish Hatchery in Spear Fish, SD. Right next door is the Spear Fish Community Campground, wonderful place especially the six sites along the Spearfish Creek. I volunteered at the hatchery for a summer and they provided a campsite on the river, which the city donates to the Hatchery for volunteers.

There are guided tours, make sure you visit the Fish Rail Car, which is where I volunteered. It's still an active, small hatchery providing Brown and Rainbow trout to Indian Reservations and Ellsworth AFB.

It's one of our favorite areas and places and we've traveled all over.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote