Old 09-08-2019, 12:49 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
If you are on 16 then Buffalo is what you are after. Sheridan would be a bit out of your way. Based on the signs, the folks in Buffalo *really* think that 16 is the right way to go. If I recall their claims about route 16:

1) Shortest route to Yellowstone
2) Least grade route to Yellowstone
3) Fastest route to Yellowstone
4) Most scenic route to Yellowstone
5) Cures baldness ....

I'm sure there were a few more billboards that I missed .....

Bob
Bob is right. There are signs around that say that, and if you're on Hwy 16 Buffalo is more direct. I've been over both routes hundreds of times, and I do think 16 is a little faster, and the grade is less. Highway 14 has some really steep sections. Scenery wise, I think they're about equal. Baldness...hasn't worked for me.

Sheridan is where you want to go if you need a Wally-World run. Both Sheridan and Buffalo have interesting history and plenty to see.

As far as commercial camping, Buffalo has the Indian Campground, Deer Park, and KOA, all of which are well liked. There are also Forest Service campgrounds in the Bighorns, with lots of boondocking opportunities. You can also boondock on BLM east of town. Additionally, there's my driveway.

The only commercial camping I can think of off the top of my head in Sheridan is the KOA. I'm probably missing others.

Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:06 PM   #82
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalweg View Post
Bob is right. There are signs around that say that, and if you're on Hwy 16 Buffalo is more direct. I've been over both routes hundreds of times, and I do think 16 is a little faster, and the grade is less. Highway 14 has some really steep sections. Scenery wise, I think they're about equal. Baldness...hasn't worked for me.

Sheridan is where you want to go if you need a Wally-World run. Both Sheridan and Buffalo have interesting history and plenty to see.

As far as commercial camping, Buffalo has the Indian Campground, Deer Park, and KOA, all of which are well liked. There are also Forest Service campgrounds in the Bighorns, with lots of boondocking opportunities. You can also boondock on BLM east of town. Additionally, there's my driveway.

The only commercial camping I can think of off the top of my head in Sheridan is the KOA. I'm probably missing others.
Hi

Sheridan has Tongue Lake SP (in MT) north of it. Right now everybody seems to be loading up so it should be pretty empty real soon now . Not exactly close to 14 or 16 though. Also not at all close to any form of provisioning.

Bob

uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:18 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Sheridan has Tongue Lake SP (in MT) north of it. Right now everybody seems to be loading up so it should be pretty empty real soon now . Not exactly close to 14 or 16 though. Also not at all close to any form of provisioning.

Bob
That reminded me that there is also Lake DeSmet north of Buffalo.

Things are going to be pretty crazy here over the next few week as hunting seasons open. Every flat spot in the mountains, and every piece of public land east of town that has legal access will have a camper or tent sitting on it. I think that most of the established campgrounds have pretty heavy usage as well.

I don't hunt, but I work in very remote areas. During hunting season I usually wear an orange vest.

Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote