Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2014, 09:59 AM   #1

Lookout, Mt , Tennessee
South Carolina, Georgia coast camping recommendations?

I'm thinking of taking a week off in between Christmas and New Year's and traveling with my wife and daughter to the South Carolina or Georgia coast. Actually would consider anywhere south within a 7 to 8 Hour drive from Chattanooga. Any recommendations on cool places to camp that are close to great restaurants and historical sites. We are foodies and don't do fast food. So anywhere close to town is preferred. I'm hoping the weather will be a little warmer somewhere south.

Thanks!
Tabt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:07 AM   #2
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
There is a muni campground on Tybee Island, which is just east of Savannah. Great history, Ft Pulaski, and i reckon you can find a satisfactory meal in Savannah.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
St. james Island County park near Charleston, SC, Edisto Beach State Park just south of there, A Big Wheel RV Park in St. Marys, GA.

There are others, these are my favorites.

Maggie
Old 12-08-2014, 10:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
On the coast in SC:
Hunting Island SP
Huntington Beach SP
Myrtle Beach SP
Edisto SP
On the coast in GA:
Skidaway SP
Crooked River SP
Old 12-08-2014, 10:16 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We travel to the Savannah/Hilton Head area quite often. We usually camp at Hardeeville RV Park. It is quiet, safe, and very reasonable. The campsites are large and there are five point hook-ups. It is in South Carolina, but only about 7 miles from downtown Savannah. It is about 20 minutes over Bluffton and Hilton Head. Beaufort is about 30 minutes.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:49 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Charleston , South Carolina
James Island County Park in Charleston. Lots of great restaurants in Charleston, especially downtown. Open Table is a great app for reviews and reservations.

Closer to park, Mondo's Delite is really good Italian. Wild Olive is a little further but easy drive and is our favorite. Wonderful stuff. Hominy Grill downtown for local classics. Shrimp and grits, yum.
FollySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:56 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Charleston , South Carolina
Hunting island is really nice but not much closeby. It can be kinda raw in the winter if close to the beach. Recommend back loop in winter. Beaufort is closest town and a beautiful place. Good restaurants there too.
FollySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:09 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Montreal , Quebec
For the last two years we have been going to Skidaway SP. We really like the big oak trees covered in Spanish moss, it has always been quiet each time we went and it is only a short drive to Savannah. each visit is also an occasion to eat great southern food. There is no lack of good restaurants in Montreal where we are from but nothing like this. My favorite places in Savannah are Randy's bbq and Narobia's grits and gravy. It is as much about the food as the experience. If you are looking for something a little more upscale we had a great meal at Husk in Charleston.
Papa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:10 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
The Okefenokee Swamp is really cool and interesting, but it does not meet your "close to town" or "foodie" requirement. There is Stephen Foster SP close by, but I don't recall anything about it good or bad. If you are not familiar the swamp is about half way between Valdosta (GA) and Fernandina Beach (FL).

I would think some of the suggestions close to Charleston or Savannah should do the trick. Another destination might be the Fernandina Beach, although no first hand experience.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:57 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
If you go toward Savannah there is a lot of history in the area. There's some great food, seafood especially!
If you like quiet not too crowded, this time of year I recommend Skidaway Island State Park. It's about 15 -20 minutes from downtown Savannah. There are no full hookup sites. Most RV sites have water, electric, and CATV. The WIFI is only at the check-in office, though available 24 hr/day. There is a gate with a combination lock. If you arrive after hours make sure to call ahead for an entry code.
There could be upper 20's to 30's over night in Savannah during winter, though the days are mild most of the time. If you are looking for warmer weather, take I-75 directly south. There's a lot of good seafood, warmer weather, and historic sites along the gulf coast. But, during the weeks after Christmas, traffic will be at it's worse with all the snowbirds headed south.
Make reservations!!!
Old 12-08-2014, 12:10 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Newport , Rhode Island
We are staying at oak plantation 10 miles outside of Charleston as James island muni was booked. They do have spots available for New Years and they get good reviews .
eliset123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:46 PM   #12

Lookout, Mt , Tennessee
Awesome thanks for the replies!
Tabt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:16 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
ditto on Rivers End Campground on Tybee Island...lots of history and great dining in Savannah
Hunting Island is nice especially if you can get a beach side site..near Hilton Head and Savannah
we've stayed a few days at Rivers End each year for the last three years during the winter and its always been cold..

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:11 PM   #14
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Same for Tybee. Maybe the nicest shower/rest rooms I have ever seen in a campground. It also bills itself as the closest campground to downtown Sav.

Although the Hardeeville CG that Moosetags mentioned sounds really nice as well. May have to check that one out.

One word of caution about the trip down there. I-16 is a very rough ride, or at least we thought so. There are other routes around I-16 if you're so inclined.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:33 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Georgia, South Carolina Coastal Camping

Another idea is the Myrtle Beach area of South Carolina staying at Willow Tree RV resort. This is a beautiful 5 star RV resort just a few miles north of Myrtle Beach in Longs, South Carolina. Fully paved pull in sites that are huge. Beautifully maintained campground that is quiet and peaceful away from all the hub-bub of the strip at Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach Campgrounds - WillowTree RV Resort

It is convenient to historic Brookgreen Gardens, Georgetown, S.C. etc. Myrtle Beach has some nice broadway quality Christmas shows at the Alabama Theatre, and Carolina Opry. Also the newly renovated boardwalk at Myrtle Beach is nice for a stroll down the beach.

There is some great seafood to be had in Calabash, NC just back over the state line from Willowtree in North Carolina. Also excellent seafood in Murrell's Inlet, S.C. Also just a short drive away.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:42 PM   #16
"Sassyfras"

1994 30' Excella
Winston-Salem , North Carolina
Always stop at Skidaway, great park close to Savannah

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 12-14-2014, 11:10 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
If you go toward Savannah there is a lot of history in the area. There's some great food, seafood especially!
If you like quiet not too crowded, this time of year I recommend Skidaway Island State Park. It's about 15 -20 minutes from downtown Savannah. There are no full hookup sites. Most RV sites have water, electric, and CATV.
Make reservations!!!
I'll also recommend Skidaway Island; we stayed there a week ago and they do have a selection of full hookup sites which are enormous in size (located in the centre of the campground). We left Crooked River a few days ago - also one of my favourite campgrounds. Both parks were largely empty.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote