Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2009, 08:28 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Bluffton , South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to millcreek08
South Carolina Campground Recommendations

We are planning a trip to SC in late April and looking for recommendations or reviews of campgrounds near Hilton Head or Beaufort, Seabrook Island, and Myrtle Beach. Any insight (positive & negative) that can be provided would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance and safe travels.

Regards ... Ken
millcreek08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Campgrounds

Hi Ken,
I don't think you will find any campgrounds on or near Seabrook Island.
You might be interested in Edisto Beach State Park right on the ocean and a bit further south.

Myrtle Beach should have tons of campgrounds. Use a mapping program like Microsoft Live Search at maps.live.com
zoom in to the area of interest then enter a search for "campgrounds".

Quote:
Originally Posted by millcreek08 View Post
We are planning a trip to SC in late April and looking for recommendations or reviews of campgrounds near Hilton Head or Beaufort, Seabrook Island, and Myrtle Beach. Any insight (positive & negative) that can be provided would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance and safe travels.

Regards ... Ken
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:31 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Nashville , Tennessee
We mostly stay at state and national parks.

Last spring we spent time at Huntington Beach State Park which is just south of Myrtle Beach. We liked it a lot. In that area is also Myrtle Beach State Park which I have been told is nice. We chose Huntington because it is a little more removed from the crowds.

We also spent time at Edisto Beach State Park -- south of Charleston and is very nice -- great beaches. You may also want to check out Jamestown County Park in Charleston -- wonderful and close to the city. They have a web site.

Near Beaufort we stayed at Hunting Island State Park -- also a nice facility with good beaches.

You can check all of these out on line. All of these places are pretty popular so I would recommend reservations.

Hope this helps!
Debbie
dmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:44 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
2003 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 330 hp w/2slides
Shelby , North Carolina
Third vote for Edisto Beach State Park! Great, unspoiled beach, very laid back island atmosphere. Be sure to take the bicycles!
NCMEDIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:17 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Martin , Georgia
Be sure to visit Charleston while you are here.
Dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:07 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
I stayed at Jamestown County Park in Charleston in February.
It's one of the nicest, cleanest and well planned parks. It has a dog park that is a real plus if you have four (4) legged friends along for the trip.

Everyone is very friendly and it's only ten (10) minutes to down town.
WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:27 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ditto on Charleston, Hunting Island and Edisto Beach State Parks. Lots of history, great food and shopping in Charleston---try shrimp & grits, which sounds weird but is scrumptious.

The drive down to Edisto is worth the trip, beautiful low-country roads and a great area for bike riding. There is a decent campground in Hollywood, SC, Lake Aire RV Park--lakeairerv.com, 843-571-1271---we like to spend a night there after Edisto to do laundry and clean the sand out of everything.

The whole area around Beaufort is also beautiful, old homes and history everywhere. The Penn Center on St. Helena Island is the Gullah-Geechee heritage center, very interesting and sobering, with a nominal entrance fee. St. Mary's is beautiful, and you can take the ferry to Cumberland Island from there. Crooked River SP is near St. Mary's, very nice. A Big Wheel RV Park is right on the road to Crooked River, very nice, family-owned, well-maintained and friendly, with a campground-wide potluck every Sunday night! abigwheelrvpark.com--912-576-5386/2404. We have stayed there twice and will return every year.

Be aware of the vicious little no-see-ums down there, they will eat you alive. We found a website with a hair/body soap that has citronella and other oils in it which is supposed to keep you bug free---herbariasoap.com. Prices are reasonable and they have sampler packs---we have purchased a supply but not yet tried the bug ones. (we are home in Illinois, still getting snow and frost, so no skeeters yet)

You will love the low-country, we have been now several times and always just can't wait to get back. Have a great trip!
Old 03-31-2009, 06:28 AM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

We have close friends in Bluffton, South Carolina, and have camped in the Hilton Head area for the past several years. We most often stay at the Hilton Head Harbor RV Resort and Marina. As a matter of fact, we were camped there last week. It's a little bit pricey ($45) but very nice with all of the ammenities. It has 5 point hook-ups. It has concrete parking slabs with very nice trees and shrubbery. It is in the west end of Hilton Head Island right across the bridge from Bluffton. It's a very convenient location. Their website is Hilton Head Harbor. We like Site #4 if it is availabl.

We have also stayed at Thomas' RV Park, Highway 170-A (tel: 843-784-6210, cell: 843-384-5696) on the west side of Bluffton in Hardeeville, South Carolina. This is very close to Savannah, Georgia. It is also 5 point hook-ups and very nice. It is gras and dirt, and has some nice trees. There is no pool or playground, but the price is better at around $30. It's kind of out in the country. We like sites 321 and 333.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:29 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
Anyone recommendations on Pipe Stem Park, WVa

Pipestem Resort State Park - A West Virginia State Park
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:41 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
2003 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 330 hp w/2slides
Shelby , North Carolina
H
Gumfurzy
Can @!6'jS
Tmz
NCMEDIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:05 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Edisto Island , South Carolina
The closest campground to Seabrook Island is probably Oak Plantation Campground just south of Charleston. It is a very popular and highly rated commercial campground.
As for all the recommendations about Edisto, I second them all--we live on Edisto Island, and it is a great place.
Edistobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:05 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Across the river in Savannah is Tybee Island. City owned. I think it's called rivers end.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:31 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlaway View Post
I stayed at Jamestown County Park in Charleston in February.
It's one of the nicest, cleanest and well planned parks. It has a dog park that is a real plus if you have four (4) legged friends along for the trip.

Everyone is very friendly and it's only ten (10) minutes to down town.
You might mean James Island. It is a great spot.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:53 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
James Island County park is very nice, and allows easy access to beautiful, historic Charleston.

I spoke with them this morning, actually, and made a reservation for March. Lovely, paved, clean and well-maintained campground.

They offer steep discounts on weekly rates in January and February, too.

A word of caution, however. The reservation number on their website takes you to a "call center".....where, as is too often the case with call centers, those answering the phone have a thimbleful of infomation on a piece of paper in front of them, and can give poor or bad informtion.

Asking for a W/E site, near the bathouse/laundry, the young lady told me that, if you have a toilet in your unit, "everyone is charged the same price" as a full hookup site, as it is expected you will use their dump station. She could not explain this, just that "everyone is charged the same", if your unit has a toilet, and cited the notifcation on the website of the 14.5% tax. What?? Grrrrr.

She finally gave me the direct number to the campground, where I spoke with the manager, and made my reservation. W\E are charged the same as full hookups, but not the same as pull-thrus, and there is still a 10% discount for Good Sam or seniors.

I was fine with that, but would not have been with the former.

Maggie
Old 11-03-2014, 12:02 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Please don't go to Edisto Beach. Odds are you will like and tell others. It's bad enough that we have to reserve sites 11 months in advance now.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:32 PM   #16
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Interesting that this thread resurfaced after sleeping since April 2009.

Anyway, admittedly a SC newbie by lots of protocol. I beg you to not spend any time looking for let alone camping in any "SC upstate" State Parks, like Oconee (built by CCC) Devils Lake, several other SP's in the area bordering GA on many fine lakes Hartwell, Calhoun Falls, and the lesser known COE camps. Can't forget the hard to find Palmetto Cove sorta near Cleveland SC which is close enough to Travlers Rest which has a pretty neat micro distillery for fans of stump liquor.

Please go to the desert or PNW instead, OK, you can hit the beach camps, we'll be in the upstate.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote