Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...

Old 12-22-2015, 06:58 PM   #29
2015 27' FB International
Castle Pines , Colorado
We got our 2015 International Signature at the end of May this year. The best thing I brought was a small notepad and pen so I could make lists of what we needed, write down measurements of everything and note things to research. Have fun!

2015 International Signature 27FB
2015 Ford F-250 Diesel Platinum Crew Cab
2 90 pound Labrador retrievers
Petzers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:00 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Richardson , Texas
The best item we purchased was a portable 12v fan from the Fantastic Fan (company that makes the ceiling vent/fans). It is quiet, powerful and easy on the power usage. It is essential for moving air when we are sleeping at night, especially when you are not using the A/C or are boondocking.

Henry - "experience is what you get..... right after you need it."
HAschner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:28 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member
2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
I would suggest for your first outing, taking just some basics. A quality dump hose and I believe Paula mentioned Rhino, that's what we use too. I use whatever toilet paper that says it is safe for septic systems(Charmin Ultra soft for us). Wal Mart has most of what you need. We use an electric grill for 99% of our indoor cooking. Almost everything we fix is on the grill and it fits in the overhead compartment easily. It's more long and narrow compared to some so everything you buy, make sure you know where you will store it. We use paper plates, bowls, plastic kniver forks and spoons and cups. We splurge on the coffee maker and use one that grinds the beans and makes the coffee. Look in the RV section at your local Wal Mart and they will likely have everything you need to get started. Coffee cups from home are great. Take some blue rays with you so you can check out and watch a movie if it's too cold to get out at night. We always travel with a full fresh water tank so if we stop at a rest are or pull over somewhere, we have our own facilities to use. After your first few trips you will find things you wish you had or need and you can add as you go. A well stocked fridge is good unless you plan to eat meals out. We have a really small electric heater we take if we just need to knock the chill off. It is strictly a personal preference so we don't overheat the trailer. We don't carry fuels inside the trailer. With the basics, you will enjoy your initial trip and most importantly have fun. If you have water (and a white hose), a sewer hose with hookup(and a rubber donut in case you need it) and cable to hook up your electric and tv cable if you have cable available, you are good to go.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:12 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Kenmore , Washington
For me, a bottle of single malt makes up for any other items I might forget.
MitchR55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:28 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
St Paul , MN
We agree on the water softener and get it right away before your stuff is 'gunked' up. Worth it's weight! Also if you microwave keep the melamine out of it! I have burned up some heavy melamine dishes and you don't need a 'campfire' in your microwave! Whatever you do don't buy any closet organizers until you've been out for a few runs and know just what you will be taking with you. Have fun!
Seemore2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 04:34 AM   #34
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Good wheel chocks-

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 06:23 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member
2008 19' Safari SE
Bandera , Texas
I prefer bourbon, but I agree with the way MitchR55 thinks!
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 06:51 AM   #36
1 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Santa Fe , New Mexico
As a newbie myself, I'd love a copy of your pdf checklist. Thanks!
Danielle, Bob and TuTu (a 2015 23' Flying Cloud)
Danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:37 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
A 12" to 15" pocket level comes in handy leveling the trailer.

Trailers with the 30 pound propane tanks have visual space above the propane tank cover lid so that a level can be mounted on the trailer which can be seen from the drivers seat. We installed it on the 23D but the 40 pound tanks are too tall on the Classic and would hide the attached level.

Having the trailer level assist the refrigerator to operate properly.
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:09 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
We use our Cell phones for level's, there are many apps that you came get and they also will talk to you when level.
David & Nancy Ames
WBCCI # 9403 -- AIR # 95597
2015 FC 25' RB
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:51 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
Things I brought and actually used on our 1st long trip (13,700 mi):
1. Tire changer ramp - worked great and used it our 2nd night out!
2. Torque wrench for lug nut checking
3. Spare hitch pins, clamps, etc for our Equalizer hitch and Milenco mirrors. Basicslly ANY spare small parts that are used / removed and that can be broken or lost. I made a good friend in Nova Scotia when I had a spare clip for his hitch.
4. Head lamp in addition to a flashlight. Keeps hands free for working or going to restrioms in the dark.
5. Pipe thread sealant or tape for propane tank connectors.
6. Small Weber Go Anywhere grill (gas).
7. A quality tire pressure gauge. All the various opinions notwithstanding, most tire failures are due to failure to maintain correct tire pressures.
8. Heavy socks or slippers - trailer floors are cool!
9. Large quick dry camping towels dry much faster than usual cotton towels and take much less space/weight.
10. Rolls of quarters for laundry and shower facilities.
11. Cheap shower cap (free from most hotels) to place over smoke alarm to be used ONLY WHILE ACTUALLY PRESENT AND ACTIVELY COOKING. Regular toast always sets ours off.
12. Bungee to hold power cord in place on pedestal - many are worn and loose.
13. Noncontact tester snd volt meter. See this site: RV Electrical Safety: Part IV €“ Hot Skin | No~Shock~Zone. We found 3 sites in 3 months needing immediate repair for major safety problems.
14. Locks for anything you want to keep and leave connected for a few hours while you are away from your trailer. No one bothers your sewer connection, but everything else is vulnerable. Not all trailering people are as nice as those on this forum.
15. A well stocked (and regularly restocked) first aide kit appropriate to your level of first aide training and with OTC meds relevant to your unique potential medical needs. Insect repellent.
16. Real maps - makes planning the next day much easier than a GPS. AAA is our preferred source.
17. Good trailer breakdown coverage from your preferred vendor, also memberships save money at campgrounds. This is highly individualized, but both are well worth the cost. We did not need the tow coverage, but our traveling companions needed a tow for 250 miles (twice) and saved a lot of money using AAA with rv coverage.
18. I second spare keys OUTSIDE the AS and bourbon inside the trailer (in Newfoundland we had to have "Screech").
As others have said, WalMart is probably the most frequent place we check when a need arises.
Happy travels!
"Having differences makes a difference"
WestieHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 01:14 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member
2016 19' International
Maitland , Florida
Congratulations! And thanks for starting this thread and to all the responders. We're still looking and appreciate the input.
StrmyWeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 01:26 PM   #41
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have a small level in the magazine rack just inside the door. I put it on the doorsill to level the trailer. This is the way the mechanic at Jackson Center said to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 02:49 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Long Beach , California
Checklist offer

Originally Posted by VT Wanderer View Post
I have an EXTENSIVE checklist for what I believe is every possible item that we will need on various trips, from clothing to tools, to inside and outside AS items. Prior to a trip we determine what our activities include; biking, kayaking, rock climbing, hiking, etc. Check what will be needed, and then check the next column when it has been packed. You don't want to be 2000 miles from home and be missing one of your paddles, etc. Don't want to be in the Rockies with improper clothing. If you want a pdf copy, let me know.
VT Wanderer -
I would love a pdf copy of your travel checklist! I am a checklist freak and yours sounds like a great starting point. I tried to send you a PM, but I guess I haven't posted enough to be trusted. Maybe you can PM me and I can send you my email?

Tomboy is offline   Reply With Quote