Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2013, 11:52 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Some travel issues, but an Airstream day none-the-less.

So it begins: Friday was my last day of work, I officially retired. Saturday I turned 65, another milestone and this one with Medi Care, AARP, and the other things that come with age. Today is Sunday, and off we go on our long anticipated trip. Let's back up a few months. In March I went out and ripped out all the carpeting, 1997 colors and all the dirt that has been embedded into it over the last 16 years or so. Then came the sanding to get up all the glue and make sure what we had from a flooring stand point. Looks good, some self leveling thin set, and a little more sanding. Then lots of washing down the walls and vaccum time. Saw dust everywhere. When it was warm enough, with a little help from an electric heater and my 1000 watt work lights, I started laying down flooring. Once that was done, I broke out the miter saw and started cutting 1/4 round into various lengths to go around all the edges. A little staining and some finish nail work and that was done. On to adding some flex tube to the pump inlet and outlet to quiet it down a litte (along with some pipe wrap wherever I could get it around a pipe). On to the bathroom where I changed to factory medicine cabinet to one that was mounted vertilically with 3 opening, mirored doors, new facuet, new towel racks, under cabinet LED lighting, new shower head that had been raved about in these forums, and a bank of LED lights in the shower, with a new shower curtain that replaced the plastic accordian doors. I then took a piece of split pipe wrap, cut it to length and then upholstered it and mounted it on the underside edge of the cabinet/closet next to the bed. My wife had woken up one night last season and raised up under the cabinet and nearly knocked herself out. This finishing touch will now pad the sharp under side edge and protect her head in the event that it ever happens again. I mounted a TV in the bedroom for her as well. My next task was two fantastic fans. Not bad once you get past the old caulking. If you've been reading anything about them, you know what I'm talking about. I got the 6000 series with the thermostat and water sensor so that they will close if you are gone and it rains.

Okay, back to the present, retired, 65 and really anticipating the first outing since retirement. Pull the trailer out and checking all the lights and signals---good. Look under the trailer to make sure all clearances are okay, stablizers, jack, etc. Then I spot one band on the fresh water tank is dangling from one end. It had hidden itself from my view by wrapping a tumble weed around itself as a disguise. Out comes the floorjack, jackstands and some tools. 1/2 hour later putting the tools away, washing my hands and getting a little later start then I wanted. A couple of hours later, we are traveling south on highway 97 in a desolate and extremely windy area of Oregon (they don't have all those electrical generating windmills out there for nothing) cars are passing me and pointing up and behind me. I pull over and the shoulder is so narrow and steep that I would have to reach up to touch the door handle on my trailer. What everyone was pointing at was my awning had begun to unroll and was like a full sail, it looked exactly like a spinaker on a sailboat. So here I am trying in this strong wind trying to get my awning to reel itself in, latch the arms and tighten everything down without it all ripping off and blowing down the highway. As a last resort, I ask my wife for help, and she worked really hard to do the things that, (as I was told later), I forcefully told her to do. Of course I am thinking that I am just taking charge and giving her the best advice on how to help me accomplish what need to be done, and doing so in a very matter of fact manner. Turns out that I was just being grumpy. Awning finally secured and on we went. We had a nice laugh about it over dinner at a Black Bear restuarnt. After dinner we kept heading for our destination, Bend/Sisters Garden RV park in Oregon. At first glance it is a nice looking park. We don't get there until around 7:30pm and the office is closed so we head to our designated space. I level the trailer, hook up the electric, water, cable for TV and move to the stinky slinky. At first there was a small drip which I take care of by replacing the gasket. Then there was a problem with the flow from my valve to the drain. I pull out my plastic bridge support to put under the slinky to lay out a nice gradual flow to the drain. That wasn't going to happen as the dump valve is too low to allow that to work. So I fiddel with the hose attachement and wind up finding out that old plastic tabs tend to break easily. Never got to open the drain valves, will see if I can pick up a replacement tomorrow, it has been a long day.

But a long day when I can use my Air Stream, is still a good day. Now, how to make up for being such an in charge kind of guy, or as my wife would say, such a grump. I guess i should have known better than to ask in the first place....

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Congratulations on your retirement.

May you enjoy many happy miles in your Airstream.

Maggie
Old 06-03-2013, 05:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Nice Dennis, congrats on the big "R". I would like to add that the best way to get over being the grumpy/bossy one, is to let your wife drive, and take control when ever there is a dicision to be made. You know just reverse rolls with her. It's always easier to follow than to lead. happy camping!!
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:17 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Congratulations! May you enjoy many great Airstream adventures.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:28 AM   #5
ALUMINUM OBSSESSION

1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
Congrats on your retirement!! I have about 7 mths to go!!!
Just think!!! Your new stage in life has already started. Memories, almost lost water tank, almost had a sail from your awning making you go faster down the road!! LOL!!! Yes, the fun is already beginning!!!
Once again ,have a happy retirement!!
william Haym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Thanks to all for your congrats, support and advice. Had a great day tourning today. One other AS in the park we are at, but haven't met the owners.

I decided to leave the awning alone and fix it when I get home where I have all the tools I need and won't have to drive 20 miles to the nearest RV store. Got to get it fixed this month so it will be ready for our planned trip to Yellowstone in July. Not worried about the time I need to work on it, I won't be interrupted with that pesky time consuming thing called work. All my time can be devoted to projects on the AS, my street rods, and other home projects that my wife comes up with, or that are a part of maintaining a home. Life is good.

1997 25' Safari
Duramax/Allison
Old 06-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Why it is all worth it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0270.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	479.2 KB
ID:	187655

Name:	DSC_0271.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	540.6 KB
ID:	187656

Name:	DSC_0281.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	265.2 KB
ID:	187657

Name:	DSC_0284.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	315.6 KB
ID:	187658After arriving at Sisters OR here are a few pictures on why it is all worth it. Our TV with our AS, a shot of the pond at the RV park, a few water falls taken during our many hikes, and a lake side shot of Suttle Lake.

1997 25' Safari
Duramax/Allison
Old 06-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
I just noticed the lake shot didn't make the cut. So here it is.

By the way, 15 other Air Streams were spotted during our trip, 2 of which were in the same campground.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0285.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	384.1 KB
ID:	187660  

1997 25' Safari
Duramax/Allison
Old 06-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
2007 23' Safari SE
Onekama , Michigan
Dennis

I enjoyed your story. Do you have or feel the need for an equalizer/sway control hitch. I have a 2011 truck like yours and a 19' Bambi. I was wondering when that type of hitch may be necessary. For me, not yet.
Gene T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:25 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Congratulations on your retirement! I'm down to 6 months and counting the days!
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:49 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene T View Post
Dennis

I enjoyed your story. Do you have or feel the need for an equalizer/sway control hitch. I have a 2011 truck like yours and a 19' Bambi. I was wondering when that type of hitch may be necessary. For me, not yet.
I just have weight distribution bars, but don't feel the need for anything else. Semi's passing on two lane highways don't seem to effect the trailer at all, neither do high winds. I take curves generally much faster than the posted signs and don't feel any sway at all (for example if I am traveling 55 and the curve says 45, I generally don't slow down).

1997 25' Safari
Duramax/Allison
Old 06-10-2013, 10:53 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
Congratulations on your retirement! I'm down to 6 months and counting the days!
thanks Subfan, I am no in my second week and it hasn't truly sunk in, but that is not a complaint I have a lot of projects on my plate and so now it is time to start on some of them without having to rush through a weekend and kill myself trying to get way to much done in such a short span of time. More time for Airstreaming and my hobby of building street rods, a '37 Chevy pickup is in the shop now ready for a lot of attention.

P.S.

Formerly from Simi Valley, CA (13 yrs there)

1997 25' Safari
Duramax/Allison
Old 06-11-2013, 10:24 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Happy retirement and best wishes as you embark upon your new road!
Old 06-11-2013, 11:09 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Oregon City , Oregon
Retirement

Congrats on your retirement. I retired last year and just got back from a month long trip down the Oregon and California coast to Yosemite then to the Grand Canyon, Zion and Kodachrome State Park in Utah. Our first big trip. Our Durango did a good job handling and braking but that little 4.7 isn`t going to be enough. Some changes will have to be made there. I have hot rods, too, that keep me busy along with house projects that will have to be finished before we go out again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vacation 298.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	310.2 KB
ID:	188096  
mike warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
thanks FAN

Mike, that was quite a trip. We are headed for Yellowstone soon, with a stop on the way back in Boise to visit family and friends. Can hardly wait

1997 25' Safari
Duramax/Allison