Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2017, 07:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Decatur , Georgia
Solar Eclipse RV parks in TN,GA,SC, NC

We just bought a used 14AS 25'FC FB. We will pick it up from the dealer next week. That being said we are unable to find a place in the 100% solar eclipse zone. Anyone have recommendations? We will have to come in Sunday and leave Tuesday.
kbullington5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:51 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Pennsylvania
Try Top of Georgia Airstream Park.

Bruce
PD9160 converter, Prosine 1800 inverter
2x Victron 100/30 Smart Solar, Victron Smart Shunt
AstroBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:52 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Decatur , Georgia
On their website it states no reservations
Old 07-29-2017, 12:50 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I didn't check EVERY Corps of Engineers campground in Tennessee, let alone the other states in the path of the eclipse, but at the one randomly-selected CoE campground I checked, Defeated Creek Park on the shore of Cordell Hull Lake, has some campsites with water-electric hookups available Monday and Tuesday, but not Sunday. And that was just at one campground I selected at random.

I'm not going to watch the eclipse this year (I saw one back on May 30th, 1984 without ever leaving New Orleans), so I'm not going to put a lot of time into looking for everyone else's campsites for this eclipse. But I will tell you where and how to look for Corps of Engineers campsites that might still be available…

You can start here:
https://corpslakes.erdc.dren.mil/visitors/visitors.cfm

Then select a state in the path of the eclipse.

Then select an activity, in this case camping.

Then press "Find Lakes."

Then pick a lake project in the part of the state you're interested in.
That takes you to a page that lists all of the campgrounds on that lake. Some campgrounds will have a Corps Castle indicating that it's a CoE campground— the website also lists state and commercial campgrounds located on a Corps lake, but those are probably already booked up, so we'll ignore them.

Some of the cmpgrounds with a Castle emblem also have a green "Reserve" box. That box is a link to that campground's page on Recreation.gov (CoE uses Recreation.gov instead of the more widely known ReserveAmerica). Press the "Reserve" box.

This will open a new window. On the Recreation.gov site for that campground, select "Date Range Availability." For some unknown reason, right now the Arrival Date pull-down menu is grayed out so you can't just enter a date to speed up the search.

Then select "Next two weeks" to move to the right until the dates you're interested in appear.

Then just scroll down until you find a campsite that hasn't already been reserved for the dates in question. If there is one.

If you find a site, reserve it. If you don't, repeat the process at the next campground on that same lake, or on the next lake if you've already been through all the campgrounds on a given lake, or in the next state if you've exhausted all the lakes in a given state.

But beware, campsites are not the only reservable features at Corps campgrounds. Make sure you're not reserving a cabin or a group shelter before you plunk down your credit card on a site.

And remember, if you're a certified geezer and you have the NPS Senior Pass, or you're handicapped and have the NPS Access Pass, do NOT pay full price when you make the reservation, just put down the minimum deposit. Because when you check in, if you show the pass you'll camp for half price. I don't THINK they did away with that for the eclipse…

Good luck, one and all!
Old 07-29-2017, 03:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
We will see a little bit of it here in NY, nothing like 84.
For anyone who does get to see the full monty, dont just look at the sun, check out the shadows of leaves and other small things, way cool!
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Remember, the 1984 US eclipse, while amazing, was an annular eclipse, with the sun still passing some direct light, not a total eclipse like Aug 21, where all direct sunlight will be obscured. Those who have seen both say the difference is considerable. Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
k-5,

You may want to try to find a camping place just outside the path of totality, then pick a viewing spot as close to center-line as possible and drive to it in your TV. Consider heading there early in case others have the same idea, and pick a viewing spot with comfort facilities, since the A/S is back at camp. Don't forget to order your viewing glasses online before you go.

Good luck and enjoy what we hope is your only dark day with your Airstream...

Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:11 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1994 25' Excella
On the Lake , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbullington5 View Post
We just bought a used 14AS 25'FC FB. We will pick it up from the dealer next week. That being said we are unable to find a place in the 100% solar eclipse zone. Anyone have recommendations? We will have to come in Sunday and leave Tuesday.
Come up to Palmetto Cove in South Carolina. The South East Camping Unit of the WBCCI is having a gathering the to watch the eclipse. More info here. http://secamping.wbcci.net/event/
Contact the park to let them know you are coming. It is an easy drive from the Atlanta area. http://www.palmettocove.com/
There will be a lot of Airstreams there filled with nice folks. You will be welcome to hang out with us.
WBAC # 2759
Noggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:10 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Decatur , Georgia
Hey Joe,
I called Palmetto.
She said the reservation is already made in for the camping group and that I would have to go through y'all.
She said its up to 20 spots so if you need more Matt needs to call and reserve more spots.
We would be delighted to come and meet more folks :-)
Keith
Old 07-29-2017, 09:11 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'm headed to South Carolina, but I'm beginning to get a bad feeling. I hope this doesn't turn into the biggest rolling traffic jam in history, with beer like a football game.
So many people cramming into a 75 mile wide swath.

I already tried my viewing glasses in the house and could not even see a bare light bulb...black.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:19 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I am going to avoid the arc traffic, stay home and watch it on TV.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:20 AM   #12

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
I don't want to put a damper on this, but in Oregon they are projecting upwards of 300,000 people in the path. Iast year I started looking for a site in the path and found nothing. Put myself on a waiting list and got called a short while ago so I jumped on it. You might want to find someplace out of totality then get up very early in the morning and drive to a good viewing spot. That was my first plan until I got in on the last minute cancellation.
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:29 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Dont forget that Mother Nature plays cruel tricks on us.
All it needs is a bit of overcast and it IS just a beer party without the special effects
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:23 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Eclipse

Top of Georgia does not take reservations. It's always first come. Probably will have plenty of room.
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:27 AM   #15
U.S. Navy, Retired

1997 30' Excella
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
On their website it states no reservations
That is usually true. We are taking reservations for this special event due to high demand. Please call the park and get on the list if you would like a spot.

Bill
President Elect
Silverleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:33 AM   #16
U.S. Navy, Retired

1997 30' Excella
Cumming , Georgia
Actually, we are taking reservations for this special event due to high demand. Just call the park to get on the list

Bill
President Elect
2018 F250 King Ranch 6.7L Powerstroke
Silverleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:00 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
fairfax station , va
I tried to find an out of the way place; a Wal*Mart parking lot in the path of totality near Clemson, SC. My reserved COE campsite is 45 minutes away. I guess I can maneuver the last day if the weather looks bad. I can't imagine being swarmed too badly.
VAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:37 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
Tcpconline.com is info on campground in the path. May be worth a call. It's outside Crossville, TN.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:42 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Moss Point , Mississippi
We're also going to Palmetto Cove for the eclipse although not members of the Southern Unit (or any unit for that matter). Got on their list several months ago. They are located in the northern portion of the totality path. We're planning to head south Mon morning and hopefully weather will cooperate and we can find a good place to park by the 2:30pm totality nearer the center of the path (about 2 1/2 minutes totality). We've got to hurry back to Gulf Coast by Tues night, so will be pushing it a bit. Check their directions as google maps might want to take you in on an unsuitable road.
Dave
Dave-n-Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:56 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1994 25' Excella
On the Lake , Georgia
Quote:
Hey Joe,
I called Palmetto.
She said the reservation is already made in for the camping group and that I would have to go through y'all.
She said its up to 20 spots so if you need more Matt needs to call and reserve more spots.
We would be delighted to come and meet more folks :-)
Keith
Hi Keith,
I sent you a private message. Get back in touch with me.
WBAC # 2759
Noggin is offline   Reply With Quote