Old 10-22-2016, 06:37 PM   #1
2016 FC27FB - F350 2017

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
Socks for the trailer tires?

AS advices against chains on the trailer. They may not even fit and cause damage to the frame. There are socks made to compete with chains, they are much lower profile. Anyone with experience with them and an opinion?

While the trailer tires provide no forward motion traction (they are not powered by the engine) I imagine their traction is equally important to brake. If they were to skid on ice, etc... that will not help.

Thanks for any contributions.

Vitaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
If the road is so icy that tire chains are required, you should stay parked wherever you are until conditions improve to the point of not being unsafe to travel.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
If the road is so icy that tire chains are required, you should stay parked wherever you are until conditions improve to the point of not being unsafe to travel.

Agree100%.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:30 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Tractor trailers don't put chains on the trailers. If it's that bad time to stay off the road.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:55 PM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
OK - state laws require chains for braking. Designs provide traction 360 degrees for braking if you do not stick to the ladder style configurations that are often considered to be a standard. Certainly look at the cable designs. They are a good alternative to traditional chains and can be had with an X or Z pattern.

A primary reason to have chains is to be able to travel when the roads are passable, but chain controls mandate you carry chains. We carry ours with the hope and intention to never use them. Staying parked is always preferable to traveling on slick snow and ice.

Travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 09:12 PM   #6
2016 FC27FB - F350 2017

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I am sure we all met people who consider us crazy for towing a house behind a car/truck through the most dangerous land in America: the road! Many more consider unthinkable to get on a fiberglass half-shell with a sticky point up (hopefully remains that way) and cross an ocean. And they are right, there is no need to do those things. But some people do them anyway

And of those of us who do 'crazy things', we have different thresholds of what is either boring, acceptable, risky, unthinkable, irresponsible, outright suicidal, etc.

They are all right

IMHO and experience (IMHOAE?) weather is unpredictable, making it all the more exciting! A storm can last days. I like to be prepared and able to deal with whatever nature throws at me, all part of the journey. I am most respectful of those who take a safer approach. They love to hear my stories of sailing solo mid-ocean though

If you are not bored already, now you surely will: I've been on plenty of storms on my 44 foot Hylas Alegra. I loved every moment of it, even the moments of sheer panic when the seas and wind are really 'talking', even shouting! That is when the good skippers are tested, when we have a 'dialog' with nature, when the seas come alive, full of energy. Non sailors imagine the perfect day at sea with no wind or a small breeze. Those are the real dangerous ones: they call them the 'horse latitudes' because on those high pressure, stationary systems the calm makes progress on sail impossible so crews used to run out of food and eat their horses. In a storm, run to the 'safety' of shore? Nooo. Safer at sea where there are no hard things to hit (like rocks or the shallows approaching land). Oh, the question is about socks. Sitting in economy on Delta across to Amsterdam, with WiFi, I found writing this quite entertaining, I hope you did too!
Old 10-22-2016, 11:11 PM   #7
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Ocean sailing when the waves are taller than your boat is long are to die for Add in gale force+ winds & colliding fronts and you're on adrenaline rush unlike any other Watch the sun go down and leave a glowing green wake through it all and your survival story is complete

Trailering on ice... no thanks

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:41 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjack View Post
Tractor trailers don't put chains on the trailers. If it's that bad time to stay off the road.
Really? I commute over Donner Pass every weekday rain snow or shine. They most certainly chain the trailers.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Thread drift in the extreme. Extreme sports are for people who have a death wish. Or can not get a high without extreme risk. When the government spends lots of our tax money rescuing them, I object. If the weather is bad, park the trailer. NO sense risking your life, or the life of others on the road with you.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 12:34 AM   #10
2016 FC27FB - F350 2017

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
Thread drift in the extreme. Extreme sports are for people who have a death wish. Or can not get a high without extreme risk. When the government spends lots of our tax money rescuing them, I object. If the weather is bad, park the trailer. NO sense risking your life, or the life of others on the road with you.
I just did the math when they asked for my age at Walgreens for the flu shot: wow, 68! I guess my 'death wish' did not come true . Glad for that!

Those other guys driving on the same icy roads, how do they become my responsility? I do prepare to the max so I enjoy to the max for as long as I can. This is why I am asking for socks after all. Thanks though.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:36 AM   #11
2016 FC27FB - F350 2017

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
Ocean sailing when the waves are taller than your boat is long are to die for Add in gale force+ winds & colliding fronts and you're on adrenaline rush unlike any other Watch the sun go down and leave a glowing green wake through it all and your survival story is complete

Trailering on ice... no thanks
Man, am I experienced! And a lot more to go! LOL
Old 10-23-2016, 12:50 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
I don't recommend it. But if you absolutely hafta tow your Airstream in the snow, get dedicated winter tires with studs (that eliminates the chain problem). And even then, drive very slowly.

But if state law says "chains," then chains it is.

Call your local state police for advice.

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 02:05 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitaver View Post
I just did the math when they asked for my age at Walgreens for the flu shot: wow, 68! I guess my 'death wish' did not come true . Glad for that!

Those other guys driving on the same icy roads, how do they become my responsility? I do prepare to the max so I enjoy to the max for as long as I can. This is why I am asking for socks after all. Thanks though.
I've no intention to tow in snow or ice although I have logged many miles in a single vehicle in icy conditions with and without chains. I have to admit to never having heard of "socks" for tires on ice and snow in my 75 years. Would someone enlighten me on them?....Thanks
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 02:09 PM   #14
2016 FC27FB - F350 2017

2016 27' Flying Cloud
http://www.autosock.com/en/
Old 10-23-2016, 02:26 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitaver View Post
AS advices against chains on the trailer. They may not even fit and cause damage to the frame.

When I was young I pulled a 23' SOB up to hunting camp each year in the Big Horn Mts in WY and into the Black Hills in SD. Once on Forest Service gravel there was often snow, enough snow to chain up my TV, so not liking the trailer to pass me going downhill, I chained up the forward of the two TT axles. It was a pain, and they had to come off when I got to dry pavement, as did the chains on the TV. Did it work, yes at slow speed, like 15-20 mph max, and often at 10 mph.

I did get access to where I wanted to go, and got safely back out. I enjoyed the hunting and camaraderie, but the times I had to chain up both vehicles either going in or coming out and then white knuckle drive were less fun. That was when I was young, would I do it now, in my 70s with a 29' Airstream? No way. I am less convinced of my invincibility. About trailer socks, I've never heard of them until this OP's question.
+dcasr

2016 GMC Crewcab 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
1990 Airstream Excella 29'

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 02:30 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Why are you even asking this question?

I have towed from Winnipeg Ca. to Missoula Mt., 3 days, in wet snow in June. Left for Fl. in Jan. with 1 in of ice on the local roads. And pulled for 5 hours through Tn. last year in snow at the tops of every hill on Rt 81. If yo don't have to don't.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 03:32 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Tracktown USA , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
OK - state laws require chains for braking. Designs provide traction 360 degrees for braking if you do not stick to the ladder style configurations that are often considered to be a standard. Certainly look at the cable designs. They are a good alternative to traditional chains and can be had with an X or Z pattern.

A primary reason to have chains is to be able to travel when the roads are passable, but chain controls mandate you carry chains. We carry ours with the hope and intention to never use them. Staying parked is always preferable to traveling on slick snow and ice.

Travel safe. Pat
I'm with Pat. We bought and carry our cables for the TV/Toad just to be legal. I'll be sitting in Ashland at the bottom of the hill if conditions warrant their actual usage.

This I find very interesting.

http://www.autosock.com/en/

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:34 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjack View Post
Oh oh ,yes we do, going down some of the passes when we have bad roads, chains going up on the drivers and chains go on the trailer at the top, Drag chains...you southern boys don't realize what these mountain roads are like, lookout pass ,on the montana Idaho border can dump 2 foot of snow in a few hours.... And you don't pull your travel trailer ...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:49 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Another P.S. On the trucks if you have cables on before you need them you might get thru, if you stop when you need chains and put cables on, you won't go anywhere, you will spin and there go your cables , now we are talking snow.
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:57 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
GRAND CANYON , Arizona
[QUOTE=Vitaver;1867899]Those other guys driving on the same icy roads, how do they become my responsility?

Well this was a very humorous and even somewhat enlightening thread. I have to admit I had never heard of AUTOSOCKS before either but after watching the demo video...they sure do work.

I am always amazed at how different people can have so widely different views. But let's be honest. Sailing solo on over 50 million miles of ocean risking nothing but your own life and your boat does not compare with driving in inclement weather on a public highway. EVERYONE you encounter on the road with you is your responsibility. It is not a "Right" but rather a "Privilege" to drive on America's highways. Privileges come with responsibilities. You may have the luxury of pulling off the road or not based upon your preparedness and willingness to drive. Others may have a real NEED to be on the road during treacherous travel situations. Why put them at unnecessary risk because you want the "Thrill" of it.

If you HAVE to travel...do so as safely as possible. If you're looking for excitement... try a high-stakes poker game in Las Vegas, bet on the grey in the 5th, try jumping the Grand Canyon on a Rocket Bike....but don't gamble with others' lives on the highway. You do not have that right!

RadioGuy is offline   Reply With Quote