Old 12-06-2014, 08:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

So Much To Learn

Wow, we just picked up our new 25' Flying Cloud. What an experience! Five hour orientation and then 3 hour drive to storage facility in highway night time rush hour traffic! Just learning how to back into parking spot - took more than an hour to get that accomplished. So much to learn! Dealership winterized it but we want to take it to southern SC at some point in Jan/Feb, so any tips on flushing out water system is much appreciated. And then, maybe, we have to re-winterized. Yikes! Anyway we are nervously excited about taking the next step - overnight close to home. Should we do it without water?

Old 12-06-2014, 10:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP21 View Post
Wow, we just picked up our new 25' Flying Cloud. What an experience! Five hour orientation and then 3 hour drive to storage facility in highway night time rush hour traffic! Just learning how to back into parking spot - took more than an hour to get that accomplished. So much to learn! Dealership winterized it but we want to take it to southern SC at some point in Jan/Feb, so any tips on flushing out water system is much appreciated. And then, maybe, we have to re-winterized. Yikes! Anyway we are nervously excited about taking the next step - overnight close to home. Should we do it without water?
No, do it with water, so you can learn how to conserve.

A healthy shower can be done with 1 (one) gallon of water.

Welcome to Airstreaming and its facts and opinions.

Many facts are expressed along with opinions.

Weigh each of them carefully, and you will much better enjoy your Airstream.

Andy

Old 12-07-2014, 08:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Congratulations on your new Flying Cloud 25. Beautiful trailer and a perfect size for traveling where ever your heart desires. Yep, there's a lot to learn. Just take it slowly at first. Read your owner's manual, maybe twice. Tryout all the systems in your trailer so you can see how they work. And always remember how your vehicle dynamics changes dramatically when you're hitched up and towing. Acceleration is much slower, braking is much, much longer, and wide turns are a must. Did I mention you can't see directly behind you? Hug that right lane at 60 mph and just relax.

You will find these Forums a great place to get your questions answered, and before long you will answer questions for others.

You can connect your trailer to a potable water hose (white color) and pressureize it. Then systematically flush each faucet one at a time until you don't see red antifreeze any more. Do the cold, and then do the hot. Do the galley, bath, shower, and toilet. Then open your water heater by pass valves and fill the water heater and do some more hot water flushing. RV antifreeze is not poison. You can drink it but it doesn't taste that great. Now you have water everywhere in your trailer's pipes. Don't let it freeze! You can run your furnace or electric heater so the interior of the trailer stays above 40 degrees F.

Welcome to the world of Airstreams! Hey, you might enjoy moosetags thread on his adventures with his new Flying Cloud. He knows Airstreams very well.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...fb-125637.html

David
Old 12-07-2014, 11:43 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Irvine , California
We're relativy new owners as well ( have a 19' for about 3 months ) we started super close to home and tried to use absolutely everything-shower, furnace, electrical hookups, water hookups, etc. We then ditched the hookups for our first boondocking bust still close to home. We then progressed further from home. Most recent trip included the addition of solar, 4 jerry cans of extra potable water and a 4 day trip totally off the grid at Joshua tree. Using as many things in a variety of situation really seemed to help. Have fun!
Old 12-08-2014, 06:34 AM   #5
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Pad camping....

RichP21,

Welcome Aboard

Just what we did when the Classic was new....

Although we had been Streaming with a 63 Safari for quite awhile, the time we spent 'Camping' at home on the pad was very useful for getting used to the new trailer.

A few daze spent at the storage facility or your own driveway will help a lot.

Remember...“Education is what people do to you,
Learning is what you do to yourself…..”

Have fun

Bob
Old 12-08-2014, 07:03 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Many thanks, all, for the information. Once again, very helpful. AS Forums was a big part of the decision to buy. We will follow these recommendations and, hopefully, learn along the way. We are excited to get started!
Old 12-08-2014, 08:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Learn to winterize the trailer yourself. Then you can camp when you want to and re-winterize once you're putting the trailer back in storage.

Enjoy your new trailer!
Old 12-08-2014, 08:38 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
It is possible to camp near the bath house for restroom, showers, and brushing teeth, but you can use the trailer and winterize it again. I winterize at least twice every year. The only time I don't hook up to city water is when it is so cold the hose would just freeze.
Have fun, and learn how to winterize.
The best winterizing accessory, in my opinion, is a T with a valve and a short piece of tubing on the inlet side of the pump- turn the valve, put the tubing in the jug of antifreeze, and turn on the pump. The best way to get the water out easily is to open the low point drains and the faucets and let the water run out on the way home so there will be less water in the lines to blow out with air.
You'll get the hang of it. Nothing complicated.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:27 AM   #9
Rivet Master

You could learn from our mistakes, not yours.

Read read read
ask ask ask
Old 12-08-2014, 11:51 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
yes, get, the T-valve winterization kit mentioned...very easy to winterize then.

Know that when you flush the pink stuff, it will make kinda fizzy water from the faucets for a while...I just ran all the faucets for some number of minutes...the city water size cleared up totally quickly, but when running the water pump side it took longer.

Also, go now, immediately, and figure out an extra key storage solution for your tow vehicle and your airstream in case you accidentally lock yourself out of the trailer and/or truck.

Different strategies are discussed, but just make sure you do this...I kept a spare set of trailer keys in the truck, and early on as a newb discovered my dog could lock me out of my truck.....just do this now as some version of this happens all too often to everyone!!

Make yourself checklists...the airstream newb guide that came with your purchase has a decent set...add to them as needed...and follow the checklist for hookup and preparation to leave, arrival, departure from campground, and even get a routine when at gas stations and such, especially if you go into the camper, put down stairs, use fantastic fan, etc.

I strayed away from my checklist a few months ago, and noticed I forgot things...there simply are too many things for a newB to truly remember including proper sequence.

Winterization is really easy - plenty of threads detailing it on here...there could be a nice youtube video showing how, but I am not aware of one...except for those with a motorhome with the water pump access already built in.

Use the search, google search feature to look up stuff...I have a poor time in using the other search feature.

If all else fails ask folks on here in a thread, everyone is helpful.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:56 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Seeing as to how its the season for stocking-stuffers, get Santa to bring you a copy of Rich Luhr's "Newbies Guide to Airstreams"....its enjoyable reading...makes a lot of sense... and, most importantly, provides solid answers to many of our typical start-up questions. Merry Christmas. jon
Old 12-08-2014, 07:18 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The Newsies Guide to Airstreaming came with my trailer. An instructional DVD also came with (I haven't watched it). Check your 2 big satchels for the book. The owner's manual is also helpful. The satchels look like laptop bags.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 03:12 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Got the Newbies Guide and if is helpful. Have not watched DVD yet but will. Also found a very good AS YouTube on features and functions. Thanks.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:49 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Congratulations on your new "Baby" Yes, there is a lot to learn. I've been trailer and MH camping for 46 years, and I'm still learning new things about it.

Take it easy, and don't stress out. Have fun with it. There's very little that you can screw up that can't be fixed.