Old 12-13-2014, 06:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I use a small compressor to help with winterization by blowing out the lines first. I also carry it with us to fill up truck and trailer tires when they are cold. You can pick a good one up at any auto store or Lowes / Home Depot for about $50.00. Mine is a tank style.

Enjoy

paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:24 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Thanks terryv and paiceman. Agreed, no sense getting stressed out, although I'll admit to pangs of it. I called the dealer about de-winterizing and they said to just give them a call and they'd walk me through it. So that brings up another question. It was 31 degrees this morning (7AM) but will reach 64 today. Do I run an overnight risk of the pipes freezing in those kind of conditions for our first (local) voyage?

Old 12-14-2014, 08:33 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP21 View Post
Thanks terryv and paiceman. Agreed, no sense getting stressed out, although I'll admit to pangs of it. I called the dealer about de-winterizing and they said to just give them a call and they'd walk me through it. So that brings up another question. It was 31 degrees this morning (7AM) but will reach 64 today. Do I run an overnight risk of the pipes freezing in those kind of conditions for our first (local) voyage?
It has to be below freezing for 24 to 36 hours, normally, before you freeze anything inside your AS. When in doubt, turn on your furnace.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:50 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Good Morning, No. 31 degrees isn't cold enough to transfer freezing cold throughout your trailer to freeze water in the pipes or tanks, especially with the highs in the 60s. Your trailer is a 7000 pound mass that takes quite a bit of thermo energy to freeze or heat. A week of 30 degree temps, both highs and lows, would start to freeze the water in your trailer.

You can always run an electric heater on cold nights to add heat. And you can always run your propane furnace on "low" to guarantee heat.

We camped in October where the low was 25 degrees after a high of 40 degrees. We were heating the trailer as we were in it. But the city water hose to our trailer froze and cracked my pressure regulator and pressure gage. I should have disconnected it for the night and used my fresh water tank and pump. Lesson learned.

David
Old 12-14-2014, 08:59 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
We've camped in temperatures as low as the mid to high teens (not by choice!) and, with the furnace running, all water systems were fine. It would indeed take many hours of continuous subfreezing temperatures to cause any problems with an un-heated trailer. An overnight low in the high 20's followed by days in the 40's or higher will not generally cause a problem. But given the cost of dealing with a frozen pipe mishap, I'd err on the side of caution and set the furnace to 45 or 50 on nights when the temperature is expected to drop in the twenties for any period of time.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:55 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Ok, thanks. In other words, I should just try to use some common sense...hope I have some! And it works!
Rich
Old 12-15-2014, 08:57 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP21 View Post
Ok, thanks. In other words, I should just try to use some common sense...hope I have some! And it works!
Rich
Rich, Your statement above just about sums up the entire Airstream experience! Enjoy!
Old 12-15-2014, 12:57 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
How long at 30 degrees (or any given temp below freezing) to freeze may also depend on wind - humidity - particular AS model etc...

But *generally* I would doubt highly that 31 overnight would be enough to cause freeze damage.....but....I honestly would not rule it out entirely.

Some bits of our water system are more or less exposed so damage is possible depending on variables.

Forecasts are not perfect - if they come close to freezing in forecast I run the furnace (the temp could dip significantly lower?) if I have not yet winterized - and otherwise if I have no plans in coming week or two - I winterize and be done with it.

Common sense to me is:

If below freezing temps - freezing is possible.

We camp thanksgiving - then at canopener rally in January - so my strategy has been:

If temps are fairly mild overall in December I will run furnace for the cold snaps - any forecast in low 30's I run it. And if the cold persists more than a few days - I will pump in the pink stuff and de-winterize at canopener - then re-winterize when I get back as I will have no plans to camp till March

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:00 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
You made the right choice on your first TT ...length and model; congrats!
Old 12-17-2014, 06:22 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Ok, thanks for the thoughts and insights and thanks for the comment about our making the right AS choice. We put a lot of thought/research into it but you never know, you can still make a mistake. We're excited about it so far! Much appreciate your comments.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:30 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
Congrats Rich on your new AS! My wife and I took only one 20-minute test run before heading out onto the road for keeps - not the smartest way to start off with your AS. Here are three tips for towing I learned early on:

1. Get tow mirrors for your vehicle. I have a 2012 Tundra and purchased my tow mirrors online and installed them myself - pretty easy.
2. Get a Garmin or the equivalent that shows the lanes when coming up to an intersection or turn off. It's tough on us newbies to plan, look ahead, and merge into the correct lane before turning.
3. A vet RV-er gave me this simple tip when backing up. You can hold the steering wheel at the bottom while backing up and simply turn your hands toward the direction you want the trailer to go. This way you don't have to put your brain into "opposite back-up mode" when backing up.

Here are three incredibly embarrassing moves I did my first two weeks out:

1. Make sure you raise your stabilizers before hitching your trailer back onto your truck. That squeaking noise may be your stabilizers being crushed by the weight of the trailer as you lower the jack.
2. Make sure you chock before removing your trailer from the hitch. I noticed I made this mistake but fortunately was on level ground and in an empty BLM campground!
3. When parking your trailer adjacent to a picnic table with a roof, make sure that the door opens either away from it or beneath it, especially after you raise the trailer on to level blocks. It's embarrassing to have to re-hitch again to move the trailer one foot.

Good luck and like another poster said - read all you can here. These folks have been there, done that!
Old 12-18-2014, 09:08 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Great advice, thanks. And thanks for the tips. I can easily see myself doing exactly what you described. I'm sure I'll have some tails but, hopefully, no repeats of your events. Thanks, again.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:18 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Queens , New York
<<The best winterizing accessory, in my opinion, is a T with a valve and a short piece of tubing on the inlet side of the pump- turn the valve, put the tubing in the jug of antifreeze, and turn on the pump.>>

But how do you access the pump to install the T ?
i can just barely reach one arm in the access door to manipulate the inlet valve.
Thx.