Old 11-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Same place. Like a second home. Be our 5th year coming up. Only it is warmer and a lot more fun than being at home in the winter. Have a lease on the spot and a second Airstream that stays there. Travelers Rest Resort. Florida.

Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #16

1992 29' Excella
Van By The River , Georgia
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Same place... Travelers Rest Resort. Florida.
I know that place! I grew up about 5 miles from there in San Antonio, FL. I remember when the land was chosen for Travelers Rest and WBCCI members were organizing the resort. It's grown quite a bit since those early days in the 70's. I helped my father install the first washers and dryers in the laundromat in the back of Busch hall.

My wife and I have stayed there a few times when visiting family in the area. I can see why you like it there. The location is relatively rural but only 30 minutes or so from Tampa.

Lucius and Danielle
1992 29' Excella Classic
1996 GMC Suburban C2500 7.4L
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
We are going to SoCal for the second year in a row. We will be camp hosts at one of the state beach parks. Why are we going? Our grand-daughter's pre-school is 1/4 mile away and she lives only 1/2 a mile away. And we get an ocean front camp site!
sinjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:17 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
It's about the people more than the specific location

One thing I forgot to include in my prior post; the really good friends we have made in the park where we winter. Those people are the reason we return to the same spot each year. It is not the specific location, though we do like the winter climate in central Florida. We enjoy them so much that we plan to do this as long as we are able. These friends are from all over the US and Canada. As a side benefit, they give us good ideas of where to explore in the area of their homes and we also have the opportunity to visit them while we are passing nearby.
2014 Silverado 1500 5.3L maximum trailering package (yes, I'm towing the 34')
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:38 AM   #19
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have been "snow birding" for some eight years, six months a year now. We also choose a destination for much of the winter, spend the winter there exploring the area, making new friends from all over North America with whom to visit on future travels, and living an active retirement life. We take long trips to and from the destination, well out of the way to see the country.

Our destination preference is a very large 55+ RV resort with lots of amenities, hobby shops, clubs, and sports such as swimming, hiking, biking, pickleball, tennis, and golf, as well as a sense of community and friendship. Keep busy and keep moving. Life is good.

Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote