Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Fort Collins , Colorado
Snow--Pulling the Airstream

In another thread we asked for info on camping in Yellowstone and received
a ton of great information! "Thanks to All"
So we could sure run into snow this time of year (Snowing here in CO today)
we would appreciate suggestions on how to handle the possible snowy road conditions with the Airstream?

Thanks for any help.
Monty & Glenrose
Mcwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Go very slow, and if possible, stop for the night....lol. Seriously, it is never fun to tow any trailer in the snow, Airstream, SOB, horse, or utility. Sure, it can be done but take it slow and if possible, don't.

Worst situation I ever got into in snow was being trapped on the interstate in the Salt Lake City area in a snowstorm. The fools around me never slowed down a bit, just slid off the road, crashed etc. I had a 25' AS behind my Suburban. I could not go too slow, as that would be an object they had to pass, could not really get off as there was no local place that I knew of to stop and the on and off ramps were worse than the main pavement. I made it, but am not at all interested in repeating any such experience.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
Always dreaming

1963 26' Overlander
Lake Zurich , Illinois
Oh, sadly, in my newness and optimism I have honestly never even taken a moment to consider snow! I've been so wrapped up in so many other details, I'd quite overlooked the fact that Wisconsin and Northern Illinois can get quite nasty, and quite nasty is right around the corner.... I, too, would love any snow/sleet/ice tips from seasoned travelers. Also wondering if anyone has advice on what to expect or handle when traveling on a two lane and passing a fast moving semi. Many times, especially in windy conditions, my Yukon Denali XL seemed to get pushed by the "woosh". Wondering what will happen if this occurs while towing my AS?
Everonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I am planning a trip in late November early December thru the high plains of Colorado. I will be taking the generator and extra fuel in case we run into extreme weather.
I have years of experience driving and towing in snow. One never gets comfortable in those conditions.
Especially there are those around who think they are in control.
Drive slow and go easy on the brakes. Avoid any quick maneuvers.
Travel Safe
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Danville , California
Yes I am also heading to Yellowstone from California in early October. My TV is a F-250 4X4 and I have chains for it, but not for the AS. Am I required to have chains on my AS in snow conditions? Would cables be adequate for the AS? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

tkb2041
tkb2041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb2041 View Post
Yes I am also heading to Yellowstone from California in early October. My TV is a F-250 4X4 and I have chains for it, but not for the AS. Am I required to have chains on my AS in snow conditions? Would cables be adequate for the AS? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

tkb2041
I'm not sure that you can put chains on an AS. Anyone done it?
Old 09-23-2013, 11:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
If conditions needed chains on my Airstream, I would park it.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I have towed several times in snow and on ice; It wasn't planned, but just happened. I don't carry tire chains and my tow vehicle is only two wheel drive. If you can handle it, drive fairly slow and turn down the setting on your brake controller. Too much braking will cause you to slide all over the place. For most people, it might be better to stay put until the road gets plowed.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:31 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
If conditions needed chains on my Airstream, I would park it.

Hi, chains are required on trailers in Oregon.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-24-2013, 02:06 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Not sure about other models, but there is not enough clearance in the wheel wells to install chains on our 2005, 19-foot Bambi. We have 16-inch wheels and LT tires, but the clearance was only 1/2-inch more with the OEM GYMs and 15-inch wheels (i.e., still not enough clearance). My opinion: If chains are needed, we are camping in the wrong spot.

We have several friends and family members that were long-haul truckers during their earlier careers; and all have said that if chains were needed, they parked their rigs and waited for the weather and roads to clear.

If I absolutely had to tow in snow, I'd put snow tires on our Bambi; studded snow tires, if driving in icy conditions.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:02 AM   #11
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Not sure about other models, but there is not enough clearance in the wheel wells to install chains on our 2005, 19-foot Bambi. We have 16-inch wheels and LT tires, but the clearance was only 1/2-inch more with the OEM GYMs and 15-inch wheels (i.e., still not enough clearance).
Thule makes some chains that may fit; they're designed for wheelwells with limited clearance.
Clamp Onto Tire Tire Chains | etrailer.com
Not that I need chains where I live…
Old 09-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Not sure about other models, but there is not enough clearance in the wheel wells to install chains on our 2005, 19-foot Bambi. We have 16-inch wheels and LT tires, but the clearance was only 1/2-inch more with the OEM GYMs and 15-inch wheels (i.e., still not enough clearance). My opinion: If chains are needed, we are camping in the wrong spot.

We have several friends and family members that were long-haul truckers during their earlier careers; and all have said that if chains were needed, they parked their rigs and waited for the weather and roads to clear.

If I absolutely had to tow in snow, I'd put snow tires on our Bambi; studded snow tires, if driving in icy conditions.
Studded snow tires, what a great idea! Sure beats struggling with chains.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb2041 View Post

tkb2041
Around here in VERY snowy / icy conditions, chains are only required on the tow vehicle; signage put up for those conditions is very explicit. AFAIK the same holds for ID and WA but better to hear from members in those states.
Unless you have an emergency need to tow your AS in snow/ice conditions, I would go as the above recommended and park until the storm recedes. However, we often park on 3-4" of ice in the spring around here.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #14
Rivet Master

I have heard this a million times.......

" These people simply DON'T know how to drive in the snow!!!!! "

My method is to watch the weather reports. If the weatherman lies and it starts to snow....I drive as if I have no brakes. SLOW enough to roll to a stop. Try not to brake if on a curve. STOP at the first place you can.

WOW....just thought about ABS. The trailer brakes are powered when the brakes lights are activated. The trailer brakes could lock up, because they are not in the ABS loop.

AND, is it fun to camp in the snow????? I have never seen a ski resort with a campground........ just saying. Is a motel and a bottle of " soda ", cheaper than your deductible? Oh I forgot, I am the wimp who doesn't like to tow when it is RAINING!!!!
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #15
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Studded snow tires, what a great idea! Sure beats struggling with chains.
Check the legality of studded tires...

Me? I would wait it out in the comfort of my AS somewhere.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:37 AM   #16
Rivet Master

I just remembered.

I was driving through Wyoming, from Denver to the Badlands, with no trailer, when the snow started to build up. I stopped at a motel with a bar, and cafe. The desk clerk commended me for being one of the smart ones. They said that drivers were always driving off the road due to white out conditions. Supposedly the flat lands get windy, and the snow blows and snow drifts occur.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
WOW....just thought about ABS. The trailer brakes are powered when the brakes lights are activated. The trailer brakes could lock up, because they are not in the ABS loop.
Hi, this is exactly why I said to turn your brake controller down.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-24-2013, 11:33 PM   #18
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We've towed our (winterized) Bambi in winter weather, from BC to southern Utah and separately to Death Valley, CA; but thankfully avoided actually driving in snow storms. We don't have special tires on it, but we take the sorts of precautions most people take daily in snow country.

We have beefy snow tires on the truck (4WD), as well as weight (usually sand bags) plus a shovel in the back of the truck. We check weather forecasts religiously, with weather maps and weather cams if available. We plan our route to avoid the higher passes and longer stretches away from settlements. For us that means taking I-84, vs. I-15 and I-90 through Montana; even though it's somewhat longer. We would do a north-south route in Nevada in summer, but not in winter as the distances between towns are so far. Plan extra time so that if you need to slow down or park for hours, you don't miss a reservation or your people-visits. We don't drive at night.

We wear or at least have handy the clothes we would need for the outdoor weather (like snow boots) not the indoor truck temperature in case of a quick exit or a break-down far from anywhere.

I agree that if you need tire chains, this isn't the sort of weather to be driving in. Assuming the Interstates are even open.

A real problem is black ice-- you can't see it till it nails you. Sometimes fog as well, notably around SLC. Ground blizzard is a real problem in Wyoming-- it can be sunny overhead but a white-out at eye-level. Hence all those snow fences. I guess they help some.

We tend to keep our speeds at or under 60 mph, regardless.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:30 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Re: "The trailer brakes could lock up, because they are not in the ABS loop."

Since the older model Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller we have has accelerometers and is proportional, wouldn't the trailer brakes be very lightly applied on ice and snow, with the trailer brake voltage proportional to the deceleration forces?

I have driven short distances (50-100 miles) on packed snow, and had to make emergency stops; and our Bambi brakes didn't seem to lock up. I even have summer highway tread tires on our Airstream.

See additional comments in this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ml#post1115125
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:58 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Hi Phoenix

My head exploded trying to understand the Prodigy. AND I HAVE ONE. ha ha
But....." lightly applying brakes"....is not how I was instructed to use ABS brakes. I was told to " STAND " on them and DON"T pump them ( during an emergency situation ) I think I was told pumping ABS actually turns off ABS and defaults to regular brakes Please correct me if I am wrong.

Hey Buddy, don't confuse me, I am not as smart as you look....ha ha