Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2013, 04:59 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
In our near accident, we were driving in blizzard, white-out conditions near Monument Hill, between Colorado Springs and Denver. When we left the Springs headed north, we were driving about 35 mph, and the traffic was heavy since it was the evening rush hour.

As we topped Monument Hill, I noticed that the last of cars that had passed us were disappearing into the blowing snow and darkness ahead; and there was only one track in the snow where everyone was driving, even though our side of the divided highway was three-lanes wide with a big shoulder. In actuality, we could barely see the roadway at all, and we were just driving in two black tracks on a field of white and trying to stay between the reflectors (which we could barely see) that marked the left and right sides of the road.

I thought it was odd that all of the traffic had disappeared, and there were absolutely no cars passing or ahead of us. Then, a quick glance in the mirrors showed a string of lights all the way back to the Springs! The snow was so bad that everyone that wanted to go faster than 35 mph had already passed us, and the rest of the pack decided to stay behind the fool with the Airstream. I think they figured that evidently I could see ahead (which I couldn't); and if we managed to stay on the road, it was safer to just stay behind us. Besides, they'd get a little warning of ice ahead when they saw our lights spinning off into the trees.

Anyway, a pickup truck decided to make a run for it and tried passing us on the right. I was a little irritated that he was coming up on the right side, but I figured he was doing that because there were two lanes (the right lane and the shoulder) on the right, and only one on the left.

THEN, a sedan came barrelling up the entrance ramp directly into the side of the pickup. When the lady in the sedan saw the long line of lights behind us, she decided to pass the whole pack before she got stuck behind us, too.

So now, we are three abreast, our Tundra and Bambi somewhere in the middle of the road, I'm guessing in the number two lane, the pickup that's trying to pass us on the right, and the dumb lady in the sedan trying to pass both of us before the on-ramp ends.

As the on-ramp merged onto the main road, this lady pulled across the front of the pickup AND us; and right after she passed us, she lost control and started skidding sideways across our bow at 35 mph, headed for the median. The pickup was gaining and was a few feet ahead of us, enough so I could see his brake lights as he went spinning off the shoulder into the ditch. And, the lady slid past us sideways and whacked into the median barrier.

That's when I got to test the anti-lock brakes on our Tundra, our Prodigy brake controller and the Michelin XPS Rib summer highway tread tires on packed snow over ice.

I stomped on the brakes and our whole rig slowed slightly. The Tundra tires did not lock up, but we weren't stopping very fast. However, we slowed enough to avoid hitting the lady broadside. (By the way, I know it was a lady, because I got a good look at her face through her side window, as she slipped across our bow sideways, less than a car length ahead of us on the way toward the median.)

As soon as she cleared the front of our Tundra, I let off the brakes; because I was afraid that our Bambi brakes would lock, and the trailer would come around the side of us causing us to spin out. As it turned out, the Bambi stayed behind us in a straight line, and I was able to maintain steering control the whole time. It was luck and timing that prevented us from plowing into the lady, but we didn't skid or lose control. In fact, other than being a really close call, this near accident was mostly a non-event, at least for us.

I thought about stopping to make sure that the lady and the pickup driver were OK, but when we looked in the rear view mirrors, all we could see were headlights spinning around and spreading out all over the highway. So, I figured there really wasn't anything we could do; so we continued on into the blowing snow and darkness, now driving alone, as no cars made it past all the excitement.

I suppose the people farther back may have thought that we caused this pile up; but those up front who actually saw what happened, knew that we were just observers and along for the ride.

Anyway, we never intentionally drive in these conditions. However, the weather can change really fast near, or in, the mountains; and I now know if there's no place to stop, our rig can handle a little snow and ice, if it isn't too deep. It will just be slow going with lots of fools on the road.

By the way, for those wondering, our 2008 Tundra CrewMax has two-wheel-drive; and we have Michelin LTX M/S2 light truck tires on it. Also, we do NOT have a load distribution/anti-sway hitch.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:27 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Phoenix, all I can say is, "Yikes." I'm glad you made it unscathed!

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:42 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Cream Ridge , New Jersey
That's quite a story. Glad you made it through. We are on the East coast and the "Rolling jelly bean" isn't allowed out in the snow.
Joe Palmieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:42 AM   #24
Always dreaming

1963 26' Overlander
Lake Zurich , Illinois
It is indeed a story, Phoenix, glad it turned out well for you, hoping everyone else turned out OK after all was said and done.... Thanks for mentioning your truck tires, LTX M/S2 - just bought a set for my GMC Yukon Denali. Hope they work as well for me as they have for you. Were the Michelin XPS Rib summer highway tread tires on your AS? I know new tires are in the near future for mine as well
Everonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:15 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Studded snow tires, what a great idea! Sure beats struggling with chains.
Keep an eye on the legal restrictions though. Amusing to read that they are illegal in Hawaii.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
One more thing to be aware of is that it you are in an area that uses MagChloride or any other nasty salts on the road, these are AWFUL on aluminum - whether it is clearcoated or not. The best remedy is to wash your trailer immediately after driving on treated roads.

If clearcoated, the chemicals get in every little breach of the surface and start corroding the aluminum (filaform-like). It is difficult to be sure you got all the nasty-stuff off washing it...until it's to late, after the corrosion sets in.

If bare polished aluminum, the chemicals etch your polished surface and the only way to clean it up is re-polishing. A fresh coat of wax helps a little, but it still doesn't help to make you excited to go out in the snow. (don't ask me how I know...)

Snow camping is fun...but be safe and know what you are getting into!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:34 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Harrowing
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:48 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
LOL
Another very dead thread rises from the ashes.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:32 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Yep, old threads reappear. But that is one of the advantages of the large database in Air Forums. I read this thread some time ago at towing my Airstream in a snowstorm is something I am unwilling to do at this time. I was trying to learn from others who have driven on snowy and slick roads with 7000 pounds behind them.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote