Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2008, 09:12 AM   #61
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
WoooHooo!!!! I think spring is finally here to stay!

It was at or above 70 all weekend...now we're talkin'! Now if this silly thing called "work" would get out of the way...we could make some real progress ~

Shari
Spring in Western MT. Winter one day, summer the next. Averages out to spring. Currently we are averaging 20 degrees below normal. snow almost daily.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:18 AM   #62
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Sill melting or still piling up? Cant wait to hit the high country 15 days 22 hours 41 minutes.....

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:25 AM   #63
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Low 70's in Grand Junction where I am now, 60's elsewhere, but still down below freezing at night up higher. Rivers running high. 30% chance of rain or snow in Crawford tonight, 20% chance of thunderstorms today. Forecast is for fairly warm for the next week and a lot of windy days.

We never know what is next. We get periods of weeks with warm weather and then, boom, it could snow. Spring comes a month earlier on the Western Slope than on the Front Range, so if you hear of snow in Denver, it could be 60 or 70˚ out here.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:43 AM   #64
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I was following the link to campsite status below and noticed the picture for one campground was neat.

USDA Forest Service - Comment Form

see anything?

Old 04-27-2008, 02:19 PM   #65
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Del Norte , Colorado
Hiway 149 yesterday

Rodney
We drove up hiway 149 west of Creede yesterday.
South face of Bristol Head Peak 12,706 was almost clear of snow. North slopes have a LOT of snow left.
Stream flows will likely be higher than normal, longer than normal this summer though.
Also saw four groups of Big Horn sheep, 22 in all, these were just right off the hiway.
Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	April 2008 Big Horn NearCreede 026 Quick e-mail view.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	59080   Click image for larger version

Name:	April 2008 Big Horn NearCreede 010.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	59081  

nymphfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:30 PM   #66
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymphfishin
Rodney
We drove up hiway 149 west of Creede yesterday.
South face of Bristol Head Peak 12,706 was almost clear of snow. North slopes have a LOT of snow left.
Stream flows will likely be higher than normal, longer than normal this summer though.
Also saw four groups of Big Horn sheep, 22 in all, these were just right off the hiway.
Don
Thanks Don, I am much relieved about the snow. I am truly excited about visiting Colorado. I bet the new wide angle lens will get a work out. Thanks for the pics, I was thinking about asking someone to post some

Old 05-01-2008, 11:11 AM   #67
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Springtime in the Rockies

We've had 1 1/2" of snow this morning, more higher up. Supposed to be back in the '60's in a few days. I think the prediction on peak runoff is it will occur in about 3 weeks. It's been very dry here for weeks and the temps have been mostly in the 50's and 60's, so runoff hasn't been a danger although it looked like the Gunnison R. was bank full on Tuesday afternoon. If we get a lot of wet snow or rain and higher temps, like northern Maine and New Brunswick have had, watch out!

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:56 AM   #68
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I drove past Blue Mesa a few days ago, and there's still a great deal of storage left: The lake was quite low, and the Gunnison above the lake was not running very high. But there was still a bunch of snow left in the higher mountains.

That said, when we turned off onto Hwy 114 over east of Gunnison to head down to Saguache, I was suprised to see evidence of high water flow over the meadows there, now since subsided.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
We've had 1 1/2" of snow this morning, more higher up. Supposed to be back in the '60's in a few days. I think the prediction on peak runoff is it will occur in about 3 weeks. It's been very dry here for weeks and the temps have been mostly in the 50's and 60's, so runoff hasn't been a danger although it looked like the Gunnison R. was bank full on Tuesday afternoon. If we get a lot of wet snow or rain and higher temps, like northern Maine and New Brunswick have had, watch out!

Gene
Old 05-02-2008, 08:23 AM   #69
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymphfishin
Rodney
We drove up hiway 149 west of Creede yesterday............. saw four groups of Big Horn sheep, 22 in all, these were just right off the hiway.
Don
Hey Don, is it common to see the big horn in the area? Whats the best bet in terms of finding them?

Old 05-02-2008, 12:37 PM   #70
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Del Norte , Colorado
Big Horn Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Hey Don, is it common to see the big horn in the area? Whats the best bet in terms of finding them?
Yes, it is common, they seems to stay in the same local area for each herd.
There is a herd between Wagon Wheel Gap and Pool Table Mtn FS road. Hiway 149 west of South Fork.
Another herd near the viewing area on Wolf Creek Pass, near Treasure Falls.
Another herd 12-14 miles west of Creede.
Further north several herds in Arkansas river canyon east of Salida. It's called BigHorn Canyon for a reason. They have come down to the river while I was fishing just 30-40 feet away, Watch the railroad bed there they seems to like it.
Herds on Mt. Evans near Idaho springs also include Mtn Goats near summit, that a great photo ops place also. See my avatar. You Cannot pull a trailer up to the summit there though.

Rocky Mtn NP has herds also, but lots and lots and lots of people.

The ewes have seperated from the rams now, getting ready to lamb soon.
The rams seem to stay in similar age groups. 1/4 to 2/3 curls, together and 3/4 - full curls, in other groups.

Some days they are beside the hiways, some days you need good binoculars.
and watch the cliffs, benches, they move around while they are grazing and lay down on overlooks afterwards. They are fairly easy to spot with their white rumps, like deer and elk.

Added bonus Spring Hill Passon 149 has several Moose in the area.
Don
nymphfishin is offline   Reply With Quote