Old 04-13-2008, 09:23 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Del Norte , Colorado
Pagosa Springs/Wolf Creek Pass Today

Rodney
From what I saw today on a trip to Pagosa today you may not have any problems by the last of May.. A couple of the FS campgrounds at about 8,000 ft are useable now but not open.The weather calls for high 50's, low 60's for the next 10 days. Snow is melting steady, however the rivers are still slightly murky and still well within their banks.
I will be going back tomorrow for a few days and will try and get in some fishing myself.
Don

Old 04-13-2008, 09:27 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Del Norte , Colorado
PS

Todays river flows :

Durango Area Current Fly Fishing Conditions - Durango Downtown

Old 04-13-2008, 09:33 PM   #31
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymphfishin
Rodney
From what I saw today on a trip to Pagosa today you may not have any problems by the last of May.. A couple of the FS campgrounds at about 8,000 ft are useable now but not open.The weather calls for high 50's, low 60's for the next 10 days. Snow is melting steady, however the rivers are still slightly murky and still well within their banks.
I will be going back tomorrow for a few days and will try and get in some fishing myself.
Don
OUTSTANDING NEWS! With a bit of luck I will be able to ease on up and enjoy the good life . I want to spend a couple weeks in New Mexico, so early June should put me into your neighborhood. I'm starting to get giddy.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:38 PM   #32
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
OUTSTANDING NEWS! With a bit of luck I will be able to ease on up and enjoy the good life . I want to spend a couple weeks in New Mexico, so early June should put me into your neighborhood. I'm starting to get giddy.
Snow is melting quickly up here. It is still in the higher altitudes. It is expected to snow tuesday but that won't last long.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:05 PM   #33
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
On my way back East from Vancouver I was thinking to go down onto Road 2 and I was wondering how was the drive up there....
If you have any input I would appreciate

Thanks in advance.

d

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

http://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:36 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
boondocking and hiking and fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
worried about accessing the forest service roads for boondocking and hiking and fishing and such.
Rodney,
The Four Corners Unit has this type of rally planned in the CO high country for June 20-22 and also the July 4th weekend.
Stop to say hello if you are in the area.
Jerry
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:37 AM   #35
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Well today was the last day to go ski in many of the Colorado ski areas! The spring ski season was better than Thanksgiving this year! Snow Snow and realy too much snow? Well if you have been to lake powell in the past 5 years you know how bad we need water... to make up for years past! With all of this snow this year it is hard to think we are still in need of water down stream.... If you ever wanted to float the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon...This is your Time!
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:44 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Exclamation San Jaun Forest Service Roads News Release

For those who may be planning a trip into the San Juans, including surrounding BLM lands, please refer to the enclosed attachment. Roads will be assessed on a one by one basis. Also, the new tunnel on US160 between Wolf Creek Ski resort and Big Meadow turnoff is still closed. The old alternate route around the tunnel has been opened up. As I receive news pertaining to this thread, I'll post it here.
The joys of planning and the thrill of execution.
Attached Files
File Type: doc spring_roads_08.doc (47.0 KB, 46 views)
Four Courners Unit
WBCCI # 2460 AIR # 17259
lsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:13 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
One of my measures of snowpack is along Colo. 92 between Crawford and Blue Mesa Dam. Two weeks ago the snowpack was up to the fence tops along the Black Canyon. Yesterday it had dropped to at least a half foot below them. It's going away!

Gene
Old 04-15-2008, 08:36 AM   #38
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
It's been going down here, too, but we didn't have nearly as much snow as you guys did in the San Juans and the West Elk area.

Hey, isn't Hwy 92 just a great drive? I first drove that one back in the late 60s when it was still a dirt road (and a bit scary). My parents were living on their little ranch at Paonia, and I was starting college over at Gunnison, so I drove that stretch a LOT.

Lynn
Old 04-15-2008, 12:04 PM   #39
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Snowed again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Snow is melting quickly up here. It is still in the higher altitudes. It is expected to snow tuesday but that won't last long.
Cancel that. It just snowed here last night and this morning. Hopefully it will melt by the end of the week so I can get out on my Motorcyle and ride!

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:27 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank
Hey, isn't Hwy 92 just a great drive? I first drove that one back in the late 60s when it was still a dirt road (and a bit scary).

Lynn
It's a beautiful road, but the driver, usually me, doesn't pay much attention to the view except that of the road, the blind curves and the 1,000' drops. In the Fall, part of the way, there is a wide valley to the south where US 50 runs (I think) and the brush turns all shades of red. Quite a sight from way above the area! They repaved it a couple of years ago, so the road is good. There were lots of small rocks falling onto it this weekend with the warm temps and snow melt. I heard a boulder blocked part of the road about a week ago.

When they repaved it, they put up a lot of guardrails, something you didn't see much of in Colorado 30 years ago. They must have run out of guardrail, because there's a lot of areas they didn't do. Pulling a trailer there 2 weeks ago, the berm is often inches wide and the guardrails are right up to the pavement, so I spent a lot of time looking in the right mirror as well as in front of me.

I can imagine what the dirt road was like—plenty scary. The original wagon road over Black Mesa from Crawford to Sapinero seems to show up on FS maps, but I think private owners have closed off some of the roads on top of the Mesa. I don't know if the dirt road Lynn drove on was the old road on top of the Mesa, or the one hanging off the side we now use. When they built the Blue Mesa Dam, Sapinero disappeared underwater, though there's something like a settlement there (above water) now.

We were in Angel Fire last summer for Barb's annual family reunion. We always liked that area too. It's not Colorado, but at least you get to be close to Colorado. Taking a trailer over from Angel Fire to Taos (US 64?) must be an adventure—the east side has a multitude of tight switchbacks and steep climbs.

Gene
Old 04-15-2008, 12:28 PM   #41
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Cancel that. It just snowed here last night and this morning. Hopefully it will melt by the end of the week so I can get out on my Motorcyle and ride!
Oh, I've decided to wait until the beginning of May to get the (always topless) MG out.

Lynn
Old 04-15-2008, 06:19 PM   #42
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Another potential upside to all the snow is that fire danger should be comparatively low at least for part of the summer .

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote