Old 04-06-2008, 03:57 PM   #15
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Gee, I used to like driving in the snow--it filled in the potholes...
Seriously, I am looking at a computer model that shows rainfall, and the last time there was this much rain this early in the midwest, was spring, 1993...

Old 04-06-2008, 06:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
It is very unusual to look at the mountains around Vancouver at this time of year and still see snow up there but this is what we were looking at yesterday morning. Nothing down here and we're mowing lawns (when it's not raining) but I suspect that this is going to be a difficult year for flooding.

Maybe you should add boating to your itinerary Rodney.

Barry

Old 04-08-2008, 01:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Rodney,

Given the snowpack and our runoff concerns, you may be better off at the top of a Colorado pass than down in the valleys. Twenty years ago runoff would start in May and end in June, but these days it starts in late March and goes into early May. Forest roads used to be closed into June, but now the snow melts sooner (the FS doesn't plow most of them). The state, county and federal highways will certainly be open, and I suspect the FS roads will be open, but if there are floods, there may be washouts and soft roads. You'll certainly hear about it when and if and such information should be posted on FS websites.

It'll probably be over by the time you leave and you may have more problems there than here. You are downstream after all.

Gene
Old 04-12-2008, 10:02 AM   #18
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
denis4x4 posted
Quote:
Red Mountain Pass (north of Silverton) closed yesterday and today due to 36 inches of snow in the last 48 hours! i suspect that many of the campgrounds (and boondocking spots) listed here won't be open before mid-June at best due to this year's snowfall. BTW, I volunteer at the Durango BLM/USFS office.
Not looking good for an early June arrival

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:16 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Red Mountain Pass is about as bad as it gets. Conditions can change rapidly and from national forest to national forest. Keep checking and hoping for the best. There are plenty of lower elevation spots that are good too. Even in normal (I really don't know what "normal" is in Colorado) years campsites and forest roads may not open until late June or even later. Summer is on July 4. The only month I haven't been snowed on is July.

Gene
Old 04-12-2008, 11:51 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Living in Breckenridge Co half the time I think the snow pack is as much as the four past winter combined! The Colorado river will become the "River Wild" Book your trip in the Grand Canyon NOW!...lol

For new time camper(s) and old... it may be cool to camp along the rivers edge... WARNING! What is going on up river may become a early wake up call from Mother Nature...
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:10 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinstream
Living in Breckenridge Co half the time I think the snow pack is as much as the four past winter combined! The Colorado river will become the "River Wild" Book your trip in the Grand Canyon NOW!...lol

For new time camper(s) and old... it may be cool to camp along the rivers edge... WARNING! What is going on up river may become a early wake up call from Mother Nature...
This has been the worst winter I've ever seen in Summit county. The snow this week is really wearing on people up here. Snow and interstate closures Mon., Thurs., and Fri. The forecast called for sunny days starting today but of course it's snowing again. I'm hoping things can clear up for camping by June.

Charlie
Old 04-12-2008, 06:52 PM   #22
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Not to make light of the snow--okay, I am, but just so we all don't dwell on the negative (HA!), here's a blurb I lifted from another area on the web. Names and places changed to protect the innocent: Colorado Snow Diary

AUG. 1

Moved to our new home in Colorado. It is so beautiful here. The city is so picturesque. Can hardly wait to see it covered with snow. I LOVE IT HERE

OCT. 14

Colorado is the most beautiful place on earth. The leaves are turning all different colors. I love the shades of red and orange. Went for a ride through the mountains and saw some deer. They are so graceful. Certainly they are the most peaceful animals on earth. This must be paradise. I LOVE IT HERE.

NOV. 11

Deer season will open soon. I can't imagine anyone wanting to kill such an elegant creature. The very symbol of peace and tranquillity. Hope it will snow soon. I LOVE IT HERE.

DEC. 2

It snowed last night. Woke up to find everything blanketed in white. It looked like a postcard. Went outside and cleaned snow off the steps and shoveled the driveway. We had a snowball fight today (I won). When the snowplow came by we had to shovel the driveway again. What a beautiful place. Mother Nature in perfect harmony. I LOVE IT HERE.

DEC. 12

More snow last night. I love it. The snowplow did his trick again (that rascal). A winter wonderland. I LOVE IT HERE.

DEC. 19

Snowed again last night. Couldn't get out of the driveway to get to work this time. I'm exhausted from shoveling. Friggin' Snowplow!

DEC. 22

More of that white crap fell last night. I've got blisters on my hands from shoveling. I think the snowplow hides around the corner and waits until I'm done shoveling. That A**hole!

DEC. 25

"White Christmas" my busted tush! More freakin' snow. If I ever get my hands on that creep who drives that snowplow, I swear I will castrate the dumb yahoo. Don't know why they don't use more salt on this blasted ice.

DEC. 28

More of the same white crap last night. Been inside since Christmas day except for when "Snowplow Harry" comes by. Can't go anywhere. The car is buried in a mountain of white crap. The weatherman says expect another 10 inches of this stuff tonight. Do you know how many shovels full of snow 10 inches is?

JAN. 1

Happy friggin' New Year. The weatherman was wrong (AGAIN). We got 34 damned inches of snow this time. At this rate it won't melt until the 4th of July. The snowplow got stuck down the road and crap-for-brains had the cajones to come to the door and ask to borrow my shovel. I told him I broke 6 shovels already, shoveling out the crap he plowed into my driveway. I broke the 7th shovel over his thick head.

JAN. 4

Finally got out of the house today. Went to the store to get food and on the way back a deer ran out in front of the car and I hit the sucker. Did about $3,000.00 damage to the car. Wish the hunters would have killed them all last November.

MAY 3

Took the car to the garage in town today. Would you believe the body is rotting away from all the freaking salt they keep dumping all over the roads. It really looks like a piece of crap.

MAY 10

Moved to North Carolina today. I can't imagine why anyone in their right frigging mind would want to live in the God forsaken State of Colorado.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:09 PM   #23
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Hail or High water Rally

I think we should have a early June boondock rally in southwest Colorado in spite of, if not because of all the snow. It could be snowing, it could be hailing, it could be flooded- I'm going camping

and the
My Blog

Old 04-12-2008, 07:18 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Del Norte , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
I think we should have a early June boondock rally in southwest Colorado in spite of, if not because of all the snow. It could be snowing, it could be hailing, it could be flooded- I'm going camping
I like that idea, like the hardships the pioneers had only with our aluminum homes.

Don
Old 04-12-2008, 07:20 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Del Norte , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Not to make light of the snow--okay, I am, but just so we all don't dwell on the negative (HA!), here's a blurb I lifted from another area on the web. Names and places changed to protect the innocent: Colorado Snow Diary

Terry,
I love that!
That's the way it has been this year.
I have been thinking Arkansas though!
Old 04-13-2008, 09:09 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I live on the Animas River north of Durango and check the USGS site twice a day. Since 2005, we've lost an acre of land due to flows of 8,500 CFS or better!

Now the good news, as of 3:15 this AM, the flow dropped to less than 600 CFS and actually went below the 96 year average. As long as it's cold in Silverton, the snow melt will be gradual and we'll be safe.

I spent a small fortune to massage the river banks a couple of weeks ago. Paying for a couple of track hoes was a lot easier than dealing with the Army Corp of Engineers.

A lot of the USFS camp grounds are accessed via county roads like La Plata Canyon and Mineral Creek.

I can't speak for other USFS/BLM visitor information centers, but in Durango we get daily updates on road conditions in the San Juan National Forest.

Interestingly enough, we're looking at a major increase in campers this year. Gas prices being what they are, RV'ers are sticking close to home and we're a day's drive from a lot of major population centers!
Old 04-13-2008, 11:31 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Rodney,

Check out the Shrine Pass Boondock Rally for June 20-22—it's listed on the rally subforum. We'll be there and 2air is a "definite maybe" and since we have not only aluminitis, but postism (uncontrollable need to post messages on the Forum), we'll get to meet each other as well as the members of the Four Corners Unit.

Gene
Old 04-13-2008, 12:05 PM   #28
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
Rodney,

Check out the Shrine Pass Boondock Rally for June 20-22óit's listed on the rally subforum. We'll be there and 2air is a "definite maybe" and since we have not only aluminitis, but postism (uncontrollable need to post messages on the Forum), we'll get to meet each other as well as the members of the Four Corners Unit.

Gene
I looked at this rally, unfortunately, with my overall summer plan I should be well to the north at that point in the summer. If it had fallen a week earlier, it would have been more doable. On the other hand, my travel plans rarely survive long into the trip so who knows.

and the
My Blog