Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Be sure to winterize to avoid any expensive surprises ...
Coincidentally, I'm just now about to send two gallons of pink -50 degrees anti-freeze through the trailer systems from a T-joint near the 12 volt pump.
Nick.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Safe travels!

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #23
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Ditto Safe Travels, and I hope it's a more pleasant trip than the last one.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Maple Plain , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst View Post
We're aiming to head north on I75, I24, I57, I35 from Florida to Minneapolis, MN in the next week. We do, of course, aim to avoid snow, and we've been studying Weather. com and the road trip planner at Road Trip Planner | Weather Underground
However, this second site seems much more pessimistic about snow, and I'm having difficulty making sense of the two sites in combination.
I'm particularly concerned about the long steep grades on I24 (or 75?) near Chattanooga. We're not hauling the trailer, but I can imagine those grades could be a real problem in snow.
It certainly looks as if the end of this week gets better. I'd appreciate some guidance from those experienced in dodging snow on the Interstates.
Nick.

I'm from MPLS and was a traveling salesman for years in the north country. Don't be in a hurry to punch mother nature in the nose, particularly when starting from FL and there are blizzards between you and MN. MN is NW of you so take your westerning as you head north giving the mid-state storms a chance to move through to the east. Instead of heading towards eastern TN following the freeways, head NW towards Memphis and St, Louis and give the weather system a chance to follow the OH River Valley, then pick up N/S blue highways in IA to Cedar Rapids to Charles City and then west to I-35 and then north. You are allowed to get off the freeways!

Life will go better for you if you roll with the weather!
tomp1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Jammer - the Biaggi's in question is at Eden Prairie Center.

Nick, Don -- give me a day or two notice and I'll try to be there too. Or any locals. Y'all come!

The middle of the country has received mongous storms this week and last. It's got to let up some time. I see Don uses the same app I like.

Happy trails,
Bob
CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Bob, I'll certainly let you know possible dates. I was stuck in the UK last winter for knee replacement surgery, so didn't see you all.
TomP, good information, thank you. Today I drove 820 miles in 12.5 hours to get to Mt Vernon, IL. The roads were clear, with just a flurry of snow at Monteagle summit, where it was 31 degrees. Tomorrow we'll do as you suggest, and go via Cedar Rapids and Charles City. The shortest way seems to be via St Louis, but we would be there during the morning commute, so we'll probably go via Peoria, after checking the weather forecasts.
Nick.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
guyton , Georgia
go to nashville take 24 to 57 go toward peiora iL. into wi. then mpls.
r.swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:48 AM   #28
Rivet Master

A nasty experience.........

Yesterday I had a nasty experience when checking into the motel. On the reception desk was a young lady who was wearing a blouse which revealed rather more than her mother would have thought appropriate. Giving my best Clint Eastwood impersonation, and showing my best profile, I asked for a room for two.
She replied: "Do you have an AARP card?"
I was crushed.
She went on: "Shall I email you the receipt?"
I came back with my best riposte: "Better not, I'm here with my girlfriend..."

BTW, light snow on the ground here this morning at 5 a.m, and 630 miles to go. Time to hit the road.
Nick
Old 03-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #29
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I'm originally from Minnesota. The issue won't be up there, it'll be what you have to go through to get there (as many others have already posted). Best bet is to keep track of the forecast, don't push for too many miles per day and if it gets nasty -- well you have your "house" behind you and you can just pull in somewhere and wait it out. The best news is that it is now March...in my experience, February is the WORST month up there for cold weather. It is not unusual, though to see snow in April...
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Ahh, Nick -- clever as always! Couldn't she just PM you the receipt?

You'll be here long before the forecast Sunday night winter storm arrives. Stretch your legs -- avoid peacock feathers.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:39 AM   #31
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Nice to see a post from someone from St. Cloud. My hometown! I'm also proud to say I've not been back there in February since I graduated from college. Other seasons, yes.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Just arrived safely at MPLS after two days and 1500 miles. There were a few snow flurries and poor visibilty at first in IL. About twenty vehicles had spun off the road in the Waterloo area of IA, particularly on 218, presumably yesterday. Many of the vehicles were still stuck in the snow off the highway.
The forecasts were all very accurate, and thanks for all the advice.
Nick.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Glad to hear you arrived safely.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote