Old 01-21-2003, 04:43 AM   #1
Rivet Master
Yorkshire , England
Snakes, Bugs & Butterflies...

Hi All.....
Jus got thinking here...after watching " The Snake Man ", from AR: As there is a lot of open space, and no doubt ideal stop-overs for you Guys with y Yr A/Ss & R/Vs...
How do U d deal with the problem of un-invited guests, such as those BIG bugs 'n snakes, gettin into Yr mobile.....I mean, I sure the hell kn what I would if I went to put my coffee in my cup, an a HUGE HERCULES BEETLE was giving me the eye-ball...after runnin for a mile or three...Il'd start looking for a place that sold something STRONGER than COFFEE...LMAO...
Seriously...any one out there wanna share thier experience with us all...
Bet U look carefuly now...
Happy hunting...Chris.....

It's NICE 2B Important...but it's more Important 2B NICE...Chris.....
canny_banjo_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 03:08 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member
1986 31' Sovereign
Lenox , Georgia
Chris, I have a story for you........

I know boys are supposed to grow up liking snakes, frogs, tadpoles, and the like. I grew up in the country and did play with frogs, lizards, and tadpoles. I could just never abide snakes, however. I never had a real fear of them; I just didn't like them. My wife and I were camping down in south Georgia a couple of summers ago. We were sitting between our campsite and a large pond which was a wonderful swimming hole. I started back to the camp when, coming straight for us from under our pick-up truck was a timber rattler of about 5 feet in length. As large as they are down there, they are actually pretty docile and only get aroused when you pester them, or back them into a corner. I picked him with a rake and threw him back into the woods. But here is the funny part of the story: I have a friend up in the Washington, D.C. area. He and his relatively new wife prefer the "finer" things in life as opposed to camping and the outdoors (boy does he have it reversed, doesn't he?). He was telling me about his weekend - brunch at the Georgetown Four Seasons Hotel; afternoon viewing of an opera at the Kennedy Center; stroll for ice cream along the Georgetown Strand; on and on and on. About the time my eyes were glazing over, he finally asked what we did on our week off. I told him I shot squirrels out of my wife's pecan trees while sipping coffee early on Sunday morning, went to church, took grandma for brunch, and left for a little camping trip. The highlight was disposing of a five foot rattlesnake with a garden rake. It was dead silence on the other end of the line. The boy needs to get out more.

P.S. I don't know of anyone ever finding a rattlesnake in their camper, but I'm sure it has happened at least once (not in Great Britain however!).

joe hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 03:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
No, but

I found a 5' rat snake in the bathtub in my house in the middle of the night once. That got my attention.
John W. Irwin
2005 Classic 28 "Sabre-Dog III"
2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 03:42 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Wayne County , Michigan
Clean up in aisle...

I think I would have had to clean up after an episode like that! I guess that one thing we don't have to "eat our hearts out" up here in the north over is the lack of legless varmints!
Jason & Veronica J.
S.E. Michigan
1955 Commodore Vanderbilt 30'
TAC Member MI-6
2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Z71 w3.73
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 03:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Send a message via ICQ to 53flyingcloud Send a message via Yahoo to 53flyingcloud Send a message via Skype™ to 53flyingcloud
Talking Smiling

I'm not even going to try, to top that~!~...

Most of us have "screen" door attached to the A/S..
I can't even begin to imagine how a snake could get in..

Maybe it's BECAUSE most A/S are covered with VULKUM??
Attached Images
WBCCI 5292 AIR 807
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 05:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
What a bunch of sissies!

I LOVE snakes...they're cool! Not poisonous ones of course, but growing up in an area with lots of new construction in CA, we would have snakes in the garage all the time and the house occaisionally.

Whenever one would be found by my mother, she would call me over to come get it to take out to the field to let it go. If I wasn't home...Mr. Snake, meet Mr. Shovel! I was always happy to oblige her... As long as I was back before dinner or dark, I would play with them for hours before letting them go. And yes, I have been bitten...again, not by poisonous ones, but it still hurts a bit...

As I grew up and "the boys" would try to taunt "the girls" with snakes, I would always be accepted as "one of the boys"

InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 06:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Thumbs up Awesome!

Good for you!!

John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 06:14 PM   #8
Retired Moderator
1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin

better for the snakes!

john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 07:46 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member
1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
snake stories

Has anyone seen the movie Murder on the Nile? It is an Agatha Christie mystery with Peter Ustinov as Hercule Poirot. There is a wonderful scene where Ustinov finds a large hooded cobra in his bathroom. The purser comes to remove the snake and remarks something to the effect "never have I seen such a serpent in a first-class cabin" .I constantly have to remind my wife of this when I try and talk her into camping. She is mortally afraid of snakes. Shari, perhaps we could perform an intervention with her.

bhsl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 10:52 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
No problem...her & my husband both!

InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 01:29 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Yorkshire , England

Hi ALL...
Thank U all 4 Yr replies... sorry if I gave some of U the too done some great...well at the time I thought they abt 12/14 yrs of age...mind U what has AGE got 2do with anything...?...Here are a couple to start us off, I asked pleaded...begged, ALL 2no avail, 4a pocket-money rise...NO-WAY, so in went BIG ugly TOAD, amongst the pegs in my Moms peg bag., I got toad-in-the-hole 4tea that night...( sausage in batter ).
Then my Mom had a win at bingo...and treated herself to a new carpet for our was smashing...lots of colours in it, funny loopy pile...that evening, my pal an I went out as usual, we used to cut the stem of this white wild flower, and use it as a pea shooter, we used little red berries as ammo...whilst we were doin this, I spied a brown round ball, jus like a GOLF-BALL, without it's outer case, I soon whipped it up an into my pocket...during our evening of messing abt, I kept on having to scratch my leg, now with short trousers on, an playing in the fields, naturaly I thought it was STINGING NETTLES...well time passed and a huge red patch appeared on my thigh, hell it hurt...a big lump soon started to form...Mom will kn what 2do, so off I limped home...
The look on my Moms face said it all...HORROR !!!!!....
what the heck had I been up to....she said it looked like a chemical burn or something...then she asked if I had anything in my pocket, no-only a GOLF BALL....she asked me 2 show it to her, I put my hand into my pulled out a hand full of......
......EARWIGS....scream, shock, horror, help...all over the new carpet....the darn things had nipped me hundreds of times...turns out it was a NEST I had disturbed, an they were all huddled 2gether in a little ball....can U imagine how many I had to get out of that carpet, with a pair of tweezers...and the vaccum cleaner worked overtime too...My leg...affraid that got seen 2 in the the school nurse....OH !! I wish I was 13 again....

It's NICE 2B Important...but it's more Important 2B NICE...Chris.....
canny_banjo_man is offline   Reply With Quote