Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2008, 04:37 AM   #21
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
What about critter regs?

Bob,

You shouldn't have a problem at any of the campgrounds......usual rules apply, e.g. certain breed restrictions, 6' leash, etc. Here is a link to the Elkmont info: Facility Details - ELKMONT (TN), Tn - Recreation.gov
There is an internal link that will take you to the applicable info on pets.

We travel with our 14 yr. old Basenji......she is deaf, and has to go pee about as often as me! But, she is a family member who can't be left behind.....so I understand. I would not recommend (I think it may be prohibited) taking a pet on the hiking trails. Laurel Falls is an easy, short hike on an improved trail. We have met black bears along the way, and it would have been unwise to have had a pet with us. The fastest human alive cannot outrun a black bear.....and, unlike grizzlies, they can climb trees.

Ron
Thanks Sargent Major, opps rong branch. Love the avitar.

Looks like the Spring would be one of the best times to visit,maybe we can change our plans.
This Winter crap is already get'n old.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:38 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Roaring fork trail is an auto driving loop right in downtown Gatlinburg. Takes an hour or so and goes up onto the mountain side. If it rains, don't miss the drive the next day and you will get to see why it is called roaring fork.
Crafters loop road north and east of town. Excellent for the wife but, probably not the kids.

Clingmans Dome on the route from Gatlinburg to Cherokee is a great view and good exercise. Drive to Cherokee and back is a nice half day trip.

Check that no car shows, etc. are in town the same weekend. The place can be impossible.

Beautiful drive along the river from the National park office to Cades Cove.

Reservations required it you plan to stay at Elkmont, Smokemont, or Cades Cove.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:10 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
If you have a new engine then you should be good to go. I think the 1991 olds had a 305 cubic inch engine. It should do the job. . I pulled my 27' Overlander with my dodge ram 1500 4.7L engine and it worked great. It was challenged a bit pulling through the tennessee mountains going up hill. That was about a 30 minute job for the engine but other wise it pulled it without any problems. I think you will be fine.

Lothlorian
Old 12-13-2008, 02:57 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Wilmington , Illinois
Great help! Sounds like we picked a perfect family vacation destination!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
If you have a new engine then you should be good to go. I think the 1991 olds had a 305 cubic inch engine. It should do the job................ I think you will be fine.

Lothlorian
Thanks for the encouragement. For the moment I feel good. You're right. We'll be fine. But I can turn on a dime. Our breakdown in Florida was so terribly traumatic that I'm gunshy. We swapped our 305 engine with a Chevy 350 engine - hubby says it pulls great. The lure of the adventure has me discarding fear and logic - and alternate options for the financially challenged are limited - we love to travel so......travel we will! Luckily our friends will be coming along and he just happens to be the mechanic who installed our new engine. I can handle a breakdown - I'm an old pro. IT's the drama I never expected that has me quivering.
hotLAVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 06:01 AM   #25
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia

Sounds like there is some serious interest. How 'bout we take over a campground, bring our Flamingos and have some real FUN.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:31 AM   #26
mpc
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Bon Secour , Alabama
Send a message via Yahoo to mpc
so much ood advice. we go there alot and there is much to do. we go on alot of hiking trails but with the little one the long trails may not be good for them. there are alot of short trails and most all are fairly easy hike. several in cades cove, abrams falls would be good. you`ll have a ball just get brohsures and make plan are you`ll
mpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 06:34 AM   #27
mpc
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Bon Secour , Alabama
Send a message via Yahoo to mpc
sorry dont know what happened there lol! anyway you`ll waste alot oftime trying to decide what to do next. have fun we`ll be there in january freezing i hope, just not with the as.
mpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:31 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anniston , Alabama
The kids may enjoy the Ober Gatlinburg area. You can ride an aerial tram from downtown Gatlinburg to get there, or drive up the mountain. There's an ice skating rink, snow skiing (manmade snow most of the time), chairlifts to the top of the mountain for an awesome view, and several other kid friendly attractions. Do a search online for "Ober Gatlinburg" and you should find some information.
happycamper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:38 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
Insiders Tip

I probably shouldn't be giving away this local tip, but you won't tell, right?

Drive out to Cades Cove late in the afternoon. There is a parking lot just outside the gate to the loop road. Park your car and walk in. At dusk the rangers will close the road gate to cars, but you can remain on the loop after they close the gate. Then, take the next few hours and walk the loop. We start around 8:00 p.m. and finish the short part of the loop (8 miles) by 11:30 p.m. Or, you can walk the entire loop. (11 miles) Take your time; the rangers will not make you leave as long as you keep to your purpose of walking through. In fact, there are several nights during the summer when the rangers guide these walks. Take a flashlight, but on a full moon night you can see great without the flashlight most of the way.

Nighttime is magical on the Cades Cove loop. The animals (deer, raccoons, foxes, bear, etc.) are out full force. You're on a paved road most of the time, you don't have to share the loop with the fumes and noise of bumper-to-bumper cars, and the smells and sounds of the creeks, meadows and forest are intoxicating.

Don't tell anyone else, though, or everyone will go!
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:35 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anniston , Alabama
Kfrer,
Thanks for the "local tip". We've been there many times and never knew you could walk through after dark. We will have to give it a try.
But I won't tell anyone ;-)
happycamper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:33 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

englewood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrere View Post
I probably shouldn't be giving away this local tip, but you won't tell, right?

Drive out to Cades Cove late in the afternoon. There is a parking lot just outside the gate to the loop road. Park your car and walk in. At dusk the rangers will close the road gate to cars, but you can remain on the loop after they close the gate. Then, take the next few hours and walk the loop. We start around 8:00 p.m. and finish the short part of the loop (8 miles) by 11:30 p.m. Or, you can walk the entire loop. (11 miles) Take your time; the rangers will not make you leave as long as you keep to your purpose of walking through. In fact, there are several nights during the summer when the rangers guide these walks. Take a flashlight, but on a full moon night you can see great without the flashlight most of the way.

Nighttime is magical on the Cades Cove loop. The animals (deer, raccoons, foxes, bear, etc.) are out full force. You're on a paved road most of the time, you don't have to share the loop with the fumes and noise of bumper-to-bumper cars, and the smells and sounds of the creeks, meadows and forest are intoxicating.

Don't tell anyone else, though, or everyone will go!
This sounds just awesome. We did do the Rangers walk one night. It was a really fun evening with the Ranger telling interesting stories.
lakelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:47 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

englewood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kposey View Post
Tuckaleechee Campground is another nice campground located in Townsend, TN. Below is their web site link.

Tuckaleechee Campground Campground Web Site
We stayed at the KOA in Townsend, but this isn't ringing a bell. Do you know if it's close to the KOA?
lakelady is offline   Reply With Quote