Old 07-30-2013, 06:34 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
1979 31' Sovereign
Southside , Tennessee
That's similar to our experiences. And we are in the twin set up now. Only problem is not sleeping with my wife in the same bed. Not to crazy about that. But we are also fulltimers

Woodweavil7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:54 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We have the queen. My wife is lithe and atheletic so takes the inside. She doesn't mind crawling over and rarely wakes me.

Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:12 AM   #17
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
We have the queen. My wife is lithe and atheletic so takes the inside. She doesn't mind crawling over and rarely wakes me.
That's so unfortunate, that your lithe, athletic wife doesn't wake you up when she crawls over you. You should wake up and enjoy the experience!
WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #18

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We've had the twin and now a queen. The twin we felt at first was a pain. That odd corner up by your head and then that cabinet down by your feet. I remember hitting my head more than once making the bed down by the cabinet. I did like the center isle space though, and with a side bath the bedroom was a nice dressing area.

Then we got the queen. To offset the loss of the dressing area we got a center bath. But like others have noted that bed takes a lot of space. While either person can get out, its narrow with your butt against the wall as you move to exit the bedroom.

The center bath gives you a lot of space, but at a price in storage. In my 30' Classic, the closet is half the space of a side bath unit due to that lost closet space being used for the shower. In trade, the lost shower that would have been in the side bath is used for cabinet space in the kitchen for food and microwave.

One of the challenges for us as we retire and want to travel more is the fact that taking trips when we will have various temperature changes becomes more challenging due to the size of coats and the reduced closet space.

Personally I like my 30' unit (it's actual 31'). Prior I had a 27' (again actually 28') Safari. With 2 dogs in the trailer it gives us enough navigation room inside without bouncing off each other. I've never had issues with the length being an obstacle in finding good camping although we tend to gravitate towards sites with hookups which normally are built to handle longer vehicles.

My biggest issues really come down to fueling the tow vehicle while towing and the 3' difference in length between my Safari and Classic comes into play. Sometimes its challenging in navigating some of the modern convenience store pump layouts where you have to fuel perpendicular to the store and where the store has vehicle parking in front. Just as challenging sometimes are the stores where the pumps are parallel but to get pulled in to the first available pump, your trailer is hanging out in the navigation area of the station or you are blocking multiple pumps due to your length.

Longer trailers also have the tendency to be affected by changes in road elevations. So pulling off the road to a gas station or food stop sometimes is a challenge due to the potential of dragging the rear end of the trailer on the pavement. I remember a campground up in Estes Park that was located at the top of a hill. You had to go up a gravel road from the highway. I didn't remember dragging the rear of the trailer going up but I made some significant contact going down. That was a 30' SOB and thankfully because the road was gravel and dirt, we didn't do any damage. I remember hearing the scraping and I stopped. I got out and said oh crap, and very very slowly pulled out hoping not to rip anything off the underside.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:41 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I have had 4 Airstreams. The best sleeping arrangement was in a 78 31' rear bedroom Sovereign. Twin beds, but roomy for us and the center bath is best too.
1966 Overlander
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
2013 27' FB International
2016 28' Land Yacht
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
This is such a personal choice! For us the queen bed not twins, we have a 27 FB so we can get up during the night without trouble.
If we lived in our airstream for months at a time we might need something longer. 27' is roomy for two plus our dog and easy to tow.
Life is good.
TCA and GPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member
Austin , Texas
There's really no right answer, in that each configuration has its own pros and cons. Sort of like buying a camera bag - one's too small, the other's too big, one doesn't hold enough lens, the other doesn't provide enough space for a larger camera.

My first choice would be a 30' for fit and comfort with the queen bed, as I like to spread out. However, the length has some compromises, as was previously pointed out.

Second choice would be the 28' as it provides a separate side-dining area and a lounge. Closet space is limited though. Again, queen.

I'm not a fan of the 25' (except for its size and transportability) nor the 27' due to their dining areas at their ends. The 34' would be too long for me to travel in. However, that's just me and, of course, all three of these trailer sizes are very nice and would make a great portable homes.
RavenDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #22
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It is a personal preference thing. We traveled for 35 years in VW Camper Vans and it was wonderful. We then bought our first Airstream, a 20'. Much more space but much, much less maneuverable, greatly restricted our mobility and former remote campsites were no longer possible.

But the comfort with our 6 month winter vacations won the day. So much so, we bought a 25' Airstream, queen bed in back and dinette/living in front. We would have got a 27' for the walk-around bed, but the dinette/living choice is only in the rear on the 27' which is completely unsuitable for most of the active RV resorts we often spend weeks or months at a time. It puts your living space looking at the RV parked behind you rather than the activity areas of the resort.

Would we want a larger trailer? Sure, when we're parked, but I am taken back to the VW Camper days and reminded that a larger size is a loss in mobility and the restrictions that puts on our travels.

However, it should be noted that trailer maneuverability has much more to do with tow vehicle wheelbase and its turning radius, than the length of trailer. The trailer just follows, the truck makes the turns. That and the desire for an easy daily driver on our long trips led us to a 120" wheelbase regular cab pickup, equipped with a ProPride/Hensley hitch for solid stability.

As seating comfort, you can't beat recliners. As retirees on long travels, we plan to remove the dinette and put in recliners (Airstream Service Center in Jackson Center, OH has quoted us $4200 to install the factory setup as found in their newer 30' models). When entertaining friends we always dine outdoors at the picnic table, the dinette and bench seating is better suited to family travel.

dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member
2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
It is interesting to me to see how configurations have changed over the years. I suppose it is Airstream's attempt to give people the features that seem most in demand, but I am not sure that any of the current models would suit us as well as our 2004 28 foot classic. We love the twins for all the reasons identified above, including the extra length it provides for my tall hubby. We love all the storage in the bedroom. We love the two cedar lined closets, one for me and one for him, and the fact that we can make a little bathroom/dressing room by closing the doors on either end of the bath/closet area, with no restrictions from a wall and door closing off the sink/potty. We particularly love that none of the living space is used up by a dinette. We much prefer the extra walk around space in the living room and use the pop up tables if needed. We love the comfy couch...not just a bench seat, in front of which we have two footstools. We sometimes covet recliners, but honestly the couch is comfortable as is. I love the modern looking interiors of the new ones, but none of them offer all the things we like about our current configuration.

Ntex is offline   Reply With Quote