Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2014, 01:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Gatos , California
Sleeping in Airstream Interstate EXT

We haven't taken delivery yet, and the salesman seemed confused about how you make the bed in the interstateEXT. Does it take regulate sheets, fitted, is it a full king size? Can you get speciality sheets? Mr. Salesman said we could get a big sleeping bag. That's not going to happen. What has been your experience in sleeping in this bed? Is it comfortable? Do you need a mattress pad? We are new to all this, can you tell? Thanks for any help you can provide.
LizabethLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:30 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Most people prefer to use a mattress pad. The seats make for kind of an irregular bed, and the pad evens out the peaks and valleys. On the EXT, the bed is a queen size. On the non-extended (or an extended without using the fold-down bed extensions at the rear) it's a "short queen."

You won't really be able to put sheets directly on the bed. Not fitted sheets, certainly. You might get by with a "bed sack" like the ones they sell for travelers afraid of bedbugs, but that's really just a sleeping bag made of sheets instead of quilts, and I don't recommend that option.

I used a double-bed-sided sleeping bag for the first two years, and it wasn't bad at all. But my height just happens to be exactly right so that my body's pressure points while sleeping happened to fall where the bed had the most padding. Taller or shorter people would be much less comfortable.

About a year ago, I replaced my sleeping bag with a mattress pad. For me it's six of one, half-a-dozen of the other with regard to sleeping comfort. But it's infinitely easier to put sheets on a mattress pad and launder the sheets when the trip is over than it is to haul a sleeping bad to the dry-cleaners.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Some people use the RV Superbag. It is like a sleeping bag but the sheets velcro inside of it.
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:07 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Los Gatos , California
Thanks

I like the idea of the mattress pad with sheets. Easy care, no dry cleaning, machine wash. Works for me. Can't wait to try it. OBTW, I just bought a mattress pad for it. It's more like a feather bed, but it has allergy free filling. Thanks for the reply.
LizabethLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Take a look at this video demonstrating the RV Superbag:
The most important part of an RV | The small motorhome lifestyle
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
We use a queen size memory foam mattress pad. Wife then bought either a full or twin size duvet cover (fits perfect). Slide the foam in, button up the duvet and that is what we sleep on. Then have another larger queen duvet with down comforter that we sleep under.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
We bought two separate memory foam pads that combine to fill the whole area. Did it this way because it's easier to remove or roll up the two smaller sections than to wrestle with one big one. Cover them with queen fitted sheet. And use queen lite weight down comforter on top. Works perfectly for us.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote