Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2009, 08:20 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grosse Pointe Park , Michigan
Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, MI

is a definite yes! It was gorgeous, peaceful, unspoiled. The downside is no reservations so you have to show up and cross your fingers. Since we were arriving on Friday of July 4th weekend, we were told to get there by five a.m. We showed up at 1:30 a.m. to find five cars/campers already in line for ten spots. So, we parked and went to sleep, confident we were only number six. I heard cars come and go all night and apparently the tenth spot was taken by 3 a.m. We got our spot at about 7:30 a.m. and had to kill a few hours until noon check-in. We let the kids continue sleeping, got some good coffee in Glen Arbor and then went to Sleepy Bear campground for propane once everyone could be strapped in. The Sleepy Bear people were very friendly and helpful, I'd consider camping there if I could not get into the Dunes.
Anyway, we loved it. It's somewhat roughing it--only 31 sites allow some generator use, and there are no hook-ups but there are toilets and faucets for fresh water. There are programs put on by the Forest Rangers for adults and kids, the lake is right there with a beautiful sandy beach, there are miles of hiking trails. I wish we had stayed our last night there.
We had gorgeous weather, no mosquitoes, and great sleeping temps at night. One negative would be for people sensitive to poison ivy--it's everywhere. I consider us lucky that none of the kids got into it--not even the toddler.

Traverse City State Park is another story. In keeping with "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" I have nothing to say. Nothing at all. Nada. Zilch.
Our brake repair at Brakes and Alignment Center on Barlow St. in Traverse City seemed reasonable and the folks there were extremely friendly, helpful, and best of all, worked us in on a holiday weekend so we could get back home safely and without having to extend our stay. They also took us to and from the Cherry Festival while our 280 was being fixed. Many, many thanks to them.
So, that's my summary of our trip to the Traverse City/Empire/Glen Arbor/Glen Haven areas of Michigan.
"A Silver Lining" or Silvie for short
"Ah, well. I'm off to get my life sustaining supplies - cornmeal and gunpowder, hamhocks and guitar strings."
swanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
We shared the same weather, wish I would have brought my kites to play in the wind. We arrived Thursday night to Wild Cherry RV Resort just a couple miles north-west of Suttons Bay and stayed till Monday afternoon. It was a restful long weekend for my wife and I as we just put our A/S back together the Monday before. We did check out Fishtown, Cherry Republic and Black Star Farms. Stayed away from the Cherry Festival, our goal was to just sit and relax. Mission accomplished!!

Derek