Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2017, 03:50 PM   #81
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
While I am glad you were able to rest in the FL rest stops, it is prohibited for overnight stays. Perhaps the hurricane situation made them overlook any violations. They were certainly busy enough.
In CA a maximum of 8 hours is allowed at rest stops, but we've never had anyone come out and ticket or move us along. California has made the determination that it is always better to let sleepy drivers sleep rather than drive. Consequences of a sleepy driver having been found to be as dangerous as a drunk driver. I can actually attest to that fact. I almost killed myself and a car full of people while trying to get home after a long and tiring hike. I will never forget the look of horror on the woman's face when I snapped to and swerved back to my side of the road. I'm glad that I was only driving my truck I pulled over and slept for another three hours.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:47 AM   #82
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eugene , OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by PammieSue View Post
In CA a maximum of 8 hours is allowed at rest stops, but we've never had anyone come out and ticket or move us along. California has made the determination that it is always better to let sleepy drivers sleep rather than drive.
YES! ...
In the last 30+ years, at maybe a half-dozen states west of the Mississippi, really, I think I've pulled over for a "rest" in a rest area perhaps a hundred times. I've never once been asked to leave, no matter how many hours I was parked there napping, whether I was in a little POV or a TV towing a trailer or driving an RV or ...... and FWIW more often than not I pulled in to an interstate rest area and tucked in (on purpose) between two big idling trucks ........ just cuz I figured that was my "security dudes" for a few hours at the rest stop.
KellyAndersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 03:52 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyAndersson View Post
YES! ...
In the last 30+ years, at maybe a half-dozen states west of the Mississippi, really, I think I've pulled over for a "rest" in a rest area perhaps a hundred times. I've never once been asked to leave, no matter how many hours I was parked there napping, whether I was in a little POV or a TV towing a trailer or driving an RV or ...... and FWIW more often than not I pulled in to an interstate rest area and tucked in (on purpose) between two big idling trucks ........ just cuz I figured that was my "security dudes" for a few hours at the rest stop.
I really wonder if anyone has ever been asked to leave a rest area, unless of course they are camping there for the week? I can't imagine the liability should you be forced to leave a "rest" area when you are tired and get in an accident that actually kills people. I would assume that as long as you don't abuse the privilege, no police officer will ever make you leave when you are tired.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 05:17 AM   #84
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by billrector View Post
I really wonder if anyone has ever been asked to leave a rest area, unless of course they are camping there for the week? I can't imagine the liability should you be forced to leave a "rest" area when you are tired and get in an accident that actually kills people. I would assume that as long as you don't abuse the privilege, no police officer will ever make you leave when you are tired.
I believe you are correct. In fact, I have had more than one officer tell me exactly that.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 06:09 AM   #85
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
I've been told that the no overnight parking sign in rest areas, is there so they can move on people that are being a problem.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:45 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Sleep in rest areas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
While I am glad you were able to rest in the FL rest stops, it is prohibited for overnight stays. Perhaps the hurricane situation made them overlook any violations. They were certainly busy enough.

You are correct.

I now find the following at FDOT website:
"Can I park and sleep all night at Florida's rest areas?
Answer No, the rules only allow for 3 hours of rest."

At the time, I looked for signage to that effect and found none at the two rest stops that I used. Lots of rules, but nothing about overnight stays.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:00 AM   #87
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
Truckers park overnight in Florida rest stops every night. There is armed security there as well.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:09 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman View Post
I've been told that the no overnight parking sign in rest areas, is there so they can move on people that are being a problem.
I agree.
Yes, it's the law, but otherwise people would be setting up their barbecues, awnings out, and lawn chairs. Then argue with the patrol that "it's their right".
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:36 PM   #89
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eugene , OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman View Post
[snort] I likes this. The pretending-to-be-broke-and-homeless creeps who hang out at interstate rest areas begging for $ (i.e. beer money) should indeed be "moved along." I donate a decent sum each year to help out, but I don't want you in my face when I pull over at a highway rest area.
KellyAndersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:42 PM   #90
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
if we are getting from point A to B we will stay overnight in rest areas. we take a look around of course. and we chose to be armed, not all do. but they are great if you need a place to have a quick dinner and get some sleep. I doubt we have ever stayed more than 8-10 hours.
MontyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 02:31 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Same here (to include being armed).
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:47 AM   #92
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Sleep in rest areas?

Front bedroom trailers are best when overnighting and parking end to end.

We have a rear bedroom and I look for parallel parking spots.

Once I was sleeping and a reefer truck pulled up behind us at 2 in the morning. That truck idled in are ears and the reefer would start every 20 minutes. It totally sucked.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:11 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
I’m a light sleeper and I prefer our FB because it puts us closer to our TV for security reasons. If things get too noisy we just hit the road a little sooner than we’d planned.

The other thing is we each have “veto power”: if one of us doesn’t feel right about the Rest Area we move on to the next one. (After 42 years in LE I’ve learned to listen to (our) intuition.)
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:37 PM   #94
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyAndersson View Post
[snort] I likes this. The pretending-to-be-broke-and-homeless creeps who hang out at interstate rest areas begging for $ (i.e. beer money) should indeed be "moved along." I donate a decent sum each year to help out, but I don't want you in my face when I pull over at a highway rest area.
Ha, this reminded me of a trip last summer through New Mexico, stopped at Home Depot, as soon as I'm out of the car guy walks up asks for spare change, nope sorry, before I go in the store I see him get in a Volvo XC90, done in HD walk over to Starbucks 45 minutes later back to truck and he's still sitting in the XC90 with the AC maxed...

If they're in a highway rest stop, trying figuring out which vehicle is theirs.. (I've seen one get in a good looking Mercedes)
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:55 PM   #95
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Have driven cross country in the AS 3 times and just recently finished a 3200 mile trip from MI to CO to MT to GA and finally to FL.

I rarely stay in rest areas for the same reason I do not stay very long in truck stops. Besides the noise from the semi trucks constantly moving, I have been blocked in twice by a trucker who I had to knock on his windows (in the rain) asking him to move so I could get out. Most of them can back up much easier than I can with a toad behind the motorhome.

My preference is Walmart or Sam's parking lots. For a quick stop to sleep, eat, or shower, its hard to beat their level parking lot and well lite spaces. I always park at end of parking rows so I can not be blocked exiting. I have an appt. on my phone that tells where the nearest Walmart with parking is located. By morning I almost always have another RV nearby too.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote