Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Sleep Apnea Machines

As my doctor recently recommended that I use a sleep apnea machine so I was wondering if others used them when camping. If so how, do you get around the no noise after ten PM requirement at most national and state parks?

Thanks

John
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
CPap machines are very quiet - about like the sound of running water from a kitchen faucet. You shouldn't any concerns about noise.....

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
The "quiet hours" apply to the noise heard outside the RV. As long as the sound doesn't carry to the next campsite, there's no problem.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
I belive he is referencing a generator, most cpacs end voltage is 12V so get a battery hook up, don't use the built in heater
jkcru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I was not concerned about the Cpap machine noise but the generator used to power it or do you use the inverter to run it at night.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I have solar so am I correct that would be enough to run it at night
Old 08-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
John,

Modern machines like the Resmed S9 with humidifier, heated hose and a pillow mask are very quiet. The sound is like a soothing white noise machine. The Resmed pillow mask is very comfortable and allows sleeping on your side. There is a 12v power cable option that will run the entire system that is more efficient than via an inverter. A nice carry case makes it easy to take it with you even through airline security.

My wife loves the fact that I no long snore. She no longer has to punch me to stop snoring. Plus untreated sleep apnea and high blood pressure will lead to AFIB which is no fun.

Your doctor will probably send you to a sleep center that will verify your sleep apnea and determine the optimum pressure that needs to be set into the machine. The S9 has a nice display which tells you how you are doing. Plus there is a online community that will provide you with the clinician manual so you can change what you want to display. I have made several changes that should have been made by the medical supply company.

Barry
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Paradise Valley , Arizona
Check out CPAP.com. I bought a small CPAP that runs off 12v or 110. If you dig on the net you can find charts that will let you know how much operating time to expect out of one battery charge. With this next efficient machine I can get 4 nights and a couple of naps out of one charge on a deep cycle.
If you are dealing with insurance and a medical equipment provider just tell them you want 12v/110 CPAP.
Paradise Valley, Arizona
kmaggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Barry

I am currently using a AutoCpap machine. It is one of the new automated ones that automatically sets the pressurewhen I sleep. However I have not taken it camping but will next week to the White Mountains National Park. The park has no hook ups so I will either need to use my generator, solar or the inverter.
Can you explain more how the 12 v power cable works as I have not seen that option and also where can I get the cable.

Thanks
John
Old 08-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
And John if you have not started using your CPAP yet stick with it when you do. Takes some getting used to but people around me told me I was a new person once I got mine. So much new energy and pep. I had no idea I was like a walking zombie.

The machine will become one of your best friends.
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Old 08-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Look on the back of your machine for a 12v power inlet, usually about 1/4 inch and will be labeled 12v. You can get the cord at a radio shack but I would recommend going on the manufacturers site and at least looking at what they have. Funny thing is the same cord for my 12v TV works on my CPAP machine.

If no 12v inlet then you will need an small inverter or a new machine to use in the AS.
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Old 08-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
John,

Who is the manufacturer of your CPAP machine? Do you have a humidifier? The Resmed 12v power supply will power both the CPAP machine and the humidifier. A random 12v cable might power the CPAP but doubtful it will also power the humidifier.

It sounds like you have the CPAP determining the pressure. Did you ever have a sleep center determine your pressure? The Resmed S9 is an automated CPAP but it set to provide the sleep center determined pressure so it acts like an APAP in that sense.

I found that there was no getting used to anything with the Resmed S9. It ramps up the pressure slowly and does other things to make it very comfortable. The humidifier and heated hose eliminate any dryness. The two parts (CPAP and humidifier) look like a small clock radio on your bedside.

The 110v power cord and the 12v power cord both plug into the same spot on the rear of the machine. The only visual difference is that the other end of the power cord is either a 3 prong 110v male or a cigarette lighter plug. I assume that both power cords end up providing the proper custom voltage so only one connection point is needed. The S9 was out for almost a year before the company made the 12v power cord available. Their prior 12v offerings would not run the humidifier.

Barry
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Phillips Respironics is a very common machined these days. It runs on 12 Volts. It comes with a 110V transformer standard. They do sell a 12V cigarette plug cord as well. The issue a friend had was the Phillips 12V adapter cord was too short to reach the plug in the bedroom conveniently. I lengthened the plug for her and it worked fine. As in an earlier post, run it without the humidifier section attached or turned off and your batteries will run it fine.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
I bought 12 volt extension cords and adapters at Radio Shack for my wife's CPAP. It runs fine on the campers 12 volt system. Have used it many - many nights camping.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
My thanks to all for the great input. I have the Phillips Respironics BiPAP Auto SV Advanced-System One with humidifier and have been using now for about 1 month. I have used it once on the AS but the site had electricity. The site in NH will not so I will call my provider to see if they carry a 12 volt cord. If they don't I will see what they recommend.

Again thanks for all the great input

John
Old 08-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I tested my sleep machine today using the inverter outlets it worked fine. I should have enough of power to run it at night and then recharge batteries during the day.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #17

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I have an older ResMed S8 (AC-only) that I started using before we had a trailer, and a friend gave me a spare she no longer needed. My WBCCI unit has several boondocking trips a year, so I wanted to be able to use the S8 off-grid. There's only room from a single Group24 in the Argosy so I bought a battery for the CPAP. I got a little carried away... I apparently should have used my Kill-a-watt to measure actual usage rather than relying on the published specs, they are apparently VERY conservative. Based on the specs, I thought a 100 amp-hour battery would reliably give me 8 hours of operation using the humidifier. I found in practice it gives me over 20 hours, so I could've bought a smaller battery. Now if the weather's nice, I don't have to take the generator for a 2-night trip though!

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
That is good news to hear.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
We have 200 watts of solar and that is plenty to run my husband's CPAP all night and charge our various phones, camera batteries and laptops. Unless we're parked in the shade, the batteries top up during the day. We use an inverter rather than a 12V plug for the CPAP.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #20
The Silver Slipper

2001 25' Excella
Batavia , New York
I also use a Bipap and so far have run and inverter - I can get 4 nights if parked in the shade - we have a 200 watt solar system... I have yet to test the system in full sun - hopefully it will suffice as we plan on boondocking quite a bit...
WORDS OF CAUTION TO CPAP USERS - after 15 years of CPAP use YES it has been a life saver -- But I now have a great shortness of breath -- THINK ABOUT THIS!!!! a cpap is constant airway pressure - Therefore it never allows you to fully exhale - after years of this as mentioned I have a great shortness of breath - I have been told by a few honest DR's NO one should be on CPAP - Bipap that cuts off when exhaling is the proper alternative -- I've been told it is an insurance thing! BiPaps are much more expensive - WHATS YOUR HEALTH WORTH - TAKE IT FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH BUT LEARN FROM MY EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!! Demand BIPAP -- its not rocket science, don't be lied to, there is no way one can fully exhale all the CO2 with constant airway pressure of a CPAP!!!
BigPineJandK is offline   Reply With Quote