Old 08-23-2016, 05:33 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
What time of year is considered prime time for folks interested in the fall foliage? From what I read most of the action is over by Election Day.

Thanks,

Peter
October. Blue ridge Park Way has a web site I believe updates on color plus wealth of info that we used last year for interesting things. Google Ashville NC. for lots more info.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:01 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
Nice trip. We did September last year with F250 and 31 classic. No issues except a little extra effort in set up at NPS campground. That was our second time...the first was almost 40 years ago. Don't get in a hurry.
Dave

Old 08-23-2016, 09:57 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Maitland , Florida
We are novices as well and just returned from our first trip having picked up our AS in NJ to bring it home to FL on July 29. Our very first night (2 nights) was spent on the Skyline Drive at Mathews Arm Campground (B079). This was our first time pulling a travel trailer (we do tow a 20' boat) and camping with a trailer. It has also been decades since either one of us has camped. The whole experience was great. We had no issues at all with the road. It has curves and is hilly, but you are in the mountains so it shouldn't be surprising that you don't approach it as you would the interstate. Lots of places to pull over if traffic is backing up or you need a break. The campground was beautiful as were the many trails in that area. We met a lot of nice people while camping there. We headed south without taking the rest of the Skyline or the BRP, so I can't comment on them. We are planning on returning to west NC and the Asheville area for some Fall color viewing and fly fishing and we're not at all concerned with the roads or the parks. We stayed at National and State parks on our way south (10 nights) and enjoyed them all. Have a great trip!
Old 08-24-2016, 07:11 AM   #18

2016 28' International
Franklin , Maine
Thanks to all

Want to thank all who responded. Looking forward to our first big adventure. Dont know how long we will be touring and dont care. Return home when we want to.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:51 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
The finest kind of plan -- have fun!

Old 08-24-2016, 03:33 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Asheville , North Carolina
Autumn color

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
What time of year is considered prime time for folks interested in the fall foliage? From what I read most of the action is over by Election Day.

Thanks,

Peter
I live in Asheville.

October 15 +/- a few days is the date when leaf color is typically in full bloom. This varies with elevation, cold/hot weather and rainfall. The leaves turn first at higher elevations.

I was riding my bike on the parkway last year and saw the 30 AS caravan rolling down the parkway. It was a beautiful sight.

Pulling an AS on the BRP is not difficult. Go slow, take your time and stop often. You'll have a great time!
Old 08-24-2016, 05:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks ashrink12. Hope to make it down your way later this Fall.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:25 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashrink12 View Post
I live in Asheville.

October 15 +/- a few days is the date when leaf color is typically in full bloom. This varies with elevation, cold/hot weather and rainfall. The leaves turn first at higher elevations.

I was riding my bike on the parkway last year and saw the 30 AS caravan rolling down the parkway. It was a beautiful sight.

Pulling an AS on the BRP is not difficult. Go slow, take your time and stop often. You'll have a great time!
subtract a week for Skyline drive and the Northern part of the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia - you can make a fairly nice trip following peak southward if you've timed your luck correctly. The NPS campgrounds on Skyline drive are usually booked solid to their reserved spaces for the time block; though their first-come-first-serve spaces often have space.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:50 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Charlottesville , Virginia
Personally, I like the Skyline Drive better than the Blue Ridge Parkway although both are beautiful. The Skyline Drive runs 106 miles through Shenandoah National Park (Afton, to Winchester) there are campgrounds in the park all are beautiful with large campsites. There are no hookups in the park but there are dump stations at the campgrounds. I love Loft Mountain and Big Meadows. If you stay at Big Meadows there is a lodge so if you want to dine out you can eat at the lodge. The views are spectacular but if you are in a hurry this isn't the drive for you. Take your time drive 30 to 40 miles an hour and take in the beauty all around you. One of the most beautiful drives in America!
Charlottesville, VA
Ed Brownfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:10 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Currently Looking...
Box Elder , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmatkovich View Post
Hello, I was the leader of the blue Ridge caravan for two years as of last year and have pulled my 2000 34' airstream with my 1997 F-250 now 346,000 miles on it and there is no problem with any trailer. We also had a couple of 36 & 39' motor homes on the caravans. I never take any ones advice about going any place. Just go and U will find there is no problem. Have been to the panama canal, Baja twice and Alaska twice with my 34' also Newfoundland. Never had a problem any of those places.

I have found in the past if U Listen to some drivers U will not have the good experience of seeing the good old US.
Hi. I am curious how you got to the Panama Canal. I am a new full time Airstreamer and was stationed near the canal 1970-1972 while in the army. Would be great to visit if I could.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:17 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1999 33' Land Yacht
Pooler , Georgia
The October issue of MotorHome has an article called "Fall Fantasy" that should help.