Old 08-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
It is about the enjoyment. If you are not enjoying it then buy what you want. If you can afford it. If not, do what others do, make lemonade out of lemons

Old 08-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Everyone, thanks for the kind words. I really was only saying that the walls seem to shrink when we're stuck in it.

I used to camp with my grandparents when I was a kid. They had all manner of RV's, with a few Airstreams along the way. My grandpa was ex Navy and he basically gave the same instructions of "Bring what fits in one case, that's it." I wound up sleeping on the floor. It was totally miserable. I vowed to never put my kids through that. I think my parents sent me with them just to get rid of me for a week and so I got the tight confines boot camp treatment. If that was camping, I want no part of it.

Later, my parents got some trailers. Traveling with them was pretty much miserable as well. We actually lived in a 24' Wilderness (real piece of junk white box with green trim) for three months while dad got the house finished. That was tight!

I've looked at a couple of newer Airstreams with the slideouts, and they really do make a difference. I posted on here at another time about the Keystone Vantage I went to look at. It's 6" wider than my Avion to start with, and it has a nice big slideout, so that the salon ends up having easily triple the open floor space my trailer does. Just that little bit makes a huge difference. But, the Vantage just wasn't there quality wise. I saw trim falling loose as it sat new on the lot.

Truly, these silver trailers are made better. I even told the dealer that. I wasn't trying to be a silver snob, just being truthful. Just like I like lots of different motorcycles and get mad at the Harley guys that say if you're not on a Harley you're on junk (and I own a Harley....but I've also owned Kawi's and Honda's), I like lots of different RV's.

This could start a whole 'nother forum, but I could make a strong argument that there's really not that much more usable room in a 34' than a 28'. You stretch the salon a little, you stretch the bedroom a little, the bathroom gets a little more, and you're there. It's not a night and day difference. The only reason I wound up with a 34 is because I found a good deal on one in solid shape. It's actually too big for some of the places I'd like to go. I wanted to buy my grandpa's '58 Traveler for state park weekend trips but he sold it without telling me But being an Avion guy, maybe an Avion pickup camper would be the ticket for that

I'm thinking if I put a bike rack on the back bumper (remember it's an Avion so it has the heavier frame and that won't hurt it), get one of those little tent houses, and just take the cap off the truck and throw the bike in there, I'd be good to go. I used to haul my KLR650 like that...but the V-Rod weighs a lot more and I need a better ramp than a 2x12 to load and unload that one.

Turns out my wife said it was just an "off the cuff" remark she made the other day about the trailer being too small. So I guess I'll hang onto the old girl (I mean the trailer ) a while longer.

There was one guy on the Avion forums (not nearly as fancy as this forum but still a lot of good data on there) that cut the skin and made a slide on his. It was really awesome, but a lot of work.

I see why the guys on here with the 30' bunkhouse models are so covetous of them.

Did you know that Avion made a 5th wheel? They're very rare, but very nice.

Anyway, camping is truly different things to different folks. I used to walk out into the woods with a Bowie knife and come out three days later. I'd make a shelter out of sticks and leaves and sleep on the ground. My wife's parents always stayed at a nice beachfront hotel. She had no interest in RV's at all. I talked her into borrowing one of my dad's trailers one time and giving it a try (my Dad doesn't like Airstreams at all...he's a Holiday Rambler snob and says the round trailers have no storage space...). Well, she liked it, and I've managed to turn her into a real trailerite. In fact, she saw those little TAB trailers at the dealership and thought they were cute. Until I said "Imagine it raining for three days straight.'' "Uh, let's keep the silver one!"

So, the boy will have to confine his Lego's a little better (we can't leave them behind as I play with them too ...). The vacuum cleaner will find any loose ones after the trip.

As for the teenage girlfriends along for the trip...I'm not quite sure how to handle that one. I'll defer to you all on that one when the time comes. I've got four years until my oldest one starts driving and that will be bad enough!

See you on the road,

Old 08-11-2012, 08:30 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Jim: I say just get a tent for the girls. on most sites you could likely fit it next to the trailer, might have to move the picnic table if you are in a SP. You could put it beneath a bedroom window to keep an eye (ear?) on the situation. No different then the many tent campers I see that have a separate tent for the kids. I have often thought about a tent for my daughter, but in the end, she likes the "downtime" to herself on most camping trips (very busy "social" life at home).

Good luck!
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries
TAC MD-6
AIR 4534

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:05 PM   #32

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger

HA! You just described our Bambi.
And the exact same thing our friends say...they have a 42' $1/4M diesel pusher.

Size must NOT matter...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I would never put my kids in a tent while I slept in a trailer. I wouldn't be able to sleep. There are too many weirdos in the world! Sad, but true. I got a bigger trailer to fit my kids in where we all could sleep safely.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae
I would never put my kids in a tent while I slept in a trailer. I wouldn't be able to sleep. There are too many weirdos in the world! Sad, but true. I got a bigger trailer to fit my kids in where we all could sleep safely.
The dog would have to go in the tent with them.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:35 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
I'm just trying to recall the last 'tent abduction' story I've heard... but I can't recall a single one... is this a real issue? I mean, you have all those guns handy to protect you...
Old 08-12-2012, 07:12 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday

I'm just trying to recall the last 'tent abduction' story I've heard... but I can't recall a single one... is this a real issue? I mean, you have all those guns handy to protect you...
Well, you do hear of kids being snatched from their beds, yards, etc., so why not a tent?

There ARE crazy people out there, and some of them take children.

People don't put little ones in tents by themselves in strange places, for good reasons. They keep them close, as they should.

Maggie
Old 08-12-2012, 08:28 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Tent for the Legos

I was just thinking of the screened in "tent room" for the card table with the Lego's. They can sleep on the bunk racks I'm going to make inside the coach. If some Lego thief comes along in the night, he'll just have to live with his guilt at robbing a seven year old engineer in training of his wares.

I forgot to mention in the beginning that we do bring a dog with us as well, but he likes being inside with us. He also likes wallowing in the sand, and he enjoys eating a lot too....watching movies, he's a real vacation animal who says a dog's life is bad!

But anyway, I wasn't meaning to stick them out there in the tent to sleep unless they wanted to. I was just thinking of a little extra room for my son to spread out his "empire".

see ya,
Old 08-12-2012, 08:39 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
As we begin our (2) projects...we have analyzed the space situation a lot as well-we have 4 children. The 26' has plenty of bed space but little else. Our 30' has less available bed space but more open area. We figure an air mattress can go on the floor in the galley/dining area or a tent outside.

My best friend just helped me relocate the 26' and as he analyzed her, he commented on the lack of space, etc... He has a 30' toy hauler BP and 2 less children. After looking her over and pulling her 1400 mile though, he had 3 things to say. 1) His trailer won't be useable in 39 years. 2) He was impressed at how light and manageable she was behind his pickup (the last leg of our journey was over Vail pass, CO) 3) You can't beat the nostalgia factor (he got a lot of gawkers on the road).

His needs and mine differ, as does everyone's. But we respect each other for our choices. Go with what works best for you!
Old 08-12-2012, 09:00 AM   #39
Rivet Master

My sister has this layout in a Cougar 5th,

Keystone Cougar | Floorplans

Very nice layout with lots of room for Lego's

Enjoy,
Old 08-12-2012, 09:19 AM   #40
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
JimGolden,
We looked for quite a bit beore we decided on our Airstream. It works for us but it is crowded when grandkids and kids pop in. In a long rain, it would be very, very crowded... (-:
Here is the brand we were looking at before we decided on our Airstream. Still like them a lot!
Open Range RV: A Whole New Range of Fifth Wheels & Travel Trailers

My son in law has a quote. " I don't care if the Airstreams last 50 years, I am only going to have my trailer 3 or 4 and then I will be getting something else." He has two kids and a big dog and a lot of space. Needs are different, and they change all the time. I like the nostalgia factor more than I need the space. He wants space and knows he will not be keeping it forever.
But check out that link to Open Range. They are pretty! And they seemed to be well built.

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
JimGolden,
...My son in law has a quote. " I don't care if the Airstreams last 50 years, I am only going to have my trailer 3 or 4 and then I will be getting something else." ...
Ah, if only I could afford this kind of lifestyle. I think I would jump directly into a Prevost.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden
I was just thinking of the screened in "tent room" for the card table with the Lego's. They can sleep on the bunk racks I'm going to make inside the coach. If some Lego thief comes along in the night, he'll just have to live with his guilt at robbing a seven year old engineer in training of his wares.

I forgot to mention in the beginning that we do bring a dog with us as well, but he likes being inside with us. He also likes wallowing in the sand, and he enjoys eating a lot too....watching movies, he's a real vacation animal who says a dog's life is bad!

But anyway, I wasn't meaning to stick them out there in the tent to sleep unless they wanted to. I was just thinking of a little extra room for my son to spread out his "empire".

see ya,
It seems to me that the screened in tent room would be a perfect solution, along with one of those sun/rain shade things you could move round as needed for wind/rain/sun.

Our grandsons love their legos, too.

Maggie