Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2016, 10:52 PM   #41
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
Shorter electrical extention cable

My trailer pigtail is attached and only about 18' long. I seem to regularly need just a little more cable to reach the power box. My solution was to take my 25' 30A extension cable and cut it into an 8' and a 17' adding new cable ends at cuts. Together they are still 25', but 8' is much easier to use, has less voltage drop, and I don't have 25' of cable coiled at the box when I only need an extra 2'. You can do the same with a 50A extension cable.

Camco 50A and 30A fittings are available on Amazon for $15-$18 each and if you have prime, shipping is free. They are about $25 each at RV stores. They come with easy to follow instructions so you get them wired right.

The hardest part was cutting back the heavy plastic jacket and not nicking the wire insulation. I used an Exacto knife cutting out away from the wire for the jacket. Of course, use wire strippers on the wire then it screws together.
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 01:27 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, as for sewer hoses I switched to Dominator 20' kit and three 10' extensions. I have a total of 50' and each 10' section collapses to 3' for easy storage. Most of the time, one ten foot section will be enough.

I have one 10' water hose and two 20' water hoses. Almost always one ten footer will be enough.

I bought a 25' shore power cord extension; So far I have never needed to use it, but you never know. I also have a 50 Amp dog bone and have used it three times. Rarely, but a few places only have a 50 Amp receptacle at the power post.

I have a water pressure regulator and only use it when the camp ground has very high water pressure; They will let you know at the office if they have extra high water pressure. I use it at the spigot to protect my hose.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:06 AM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
I see that some folks carry pressure reducers for their city water setup. Why? I have a couple I used with my previous SOB, but it is my understanding that it is a part of the AS system as supplied from the factory. Do you know something I don't, or are you just bring redundant?

Richard
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:19 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Not true. As I said, the longer the hose, the larger the diameter should be, to minimize hydraulic losses that will reduce your flow rate. Especially when the campground doesn't have very high water pressure to begin with.

Here's an example.
*If you have a 25' 1/2" diameter hose, with 40psi of water pressure at the spigot, your maximum flow rate will be about 24 gallons per minute— not counting the additional length of plumbing inside the trailer between the inlet and the faucet or shower head that further reduces the flow rate.
* If the hose is increased to 50 feet long and 5/8" in diameter, the maximum flow would be 22 gpm. But if you use 50' of 1/2" hose the flow rate slows to just 12 gpm.
* If you increase the length to 75 feet and the diameter to 3/4", the maximum flow rate is 27 gpm. But if you use 75' of 1/2" hose, the flow rate drops to 9 gpm.
So for every 25 feet of length, the hose diameter should go up by 1/8" to keep nearly the same rate of flow in the hose for a given water pressure. If you carry a 25' 1/2" hose as your main, then a 25' spare hose should be 5/8" diameter, and you can hook up the larger-diameter hose at the spigot and the smaller diameter hose at the trailer to minimize losses in flow rate.
Every thing you say is accurate and very well explained however one thing I don't understand is how does the 5/8" hose increase the flow if its connected to the 1/2" plumbing in the Airstream? In other words, if you have a 5/8 hose that is not connected to anything it will flow unrestricted at 22 gpm. Now if the 5/8 hose is connected to a 1/2" hose (or the 1/2" AS plumbing) doesn't the !/2" hose restrict the flow or is it still 22 gpm ?
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:11 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gneiss Guy View Post
I see that some folks carry pressure reducers for their city water setup. Why? I have a couple I used with my previous SOB, but it is my understanding that it is a part of the AS system as supplied from the factory. Do you know something I don't, or are you just bring redundant?

Richard
I think it's to protect the external hose, or something. Airstreams do have a built-in water pressure regulator within the hose connection and that has served us seven years and 1400 nights camping without any problem.

We don't carry stuff around the country we rarely if ever need. (Well. for some reason we always take some clothing we never wear. I have lightened the tool kit substantially though. She has some things in her kitchen tool kit I need to go through when she's not looking.)

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:10 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Before ordering, find out what your dealer provides, as m.hony said. My dealer provided a starter kit with fresh water hose and waste dump kit along with some toilet tank chemical and a mosquito repellent. Not the highest quality nor as long as I eventually wanted/needed, but it got me going and I used them on my trip home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Shorter slinkies are easier to rinse and handle. I'd vote for as many 5' slinkies as you have room for (but no more than 5 of them), with no 10' or longer ones.
Agreed on the flexibility of shorter lengths but you increase the risk of spillage by increasing the number of connection points. Typically leakage takes place at the hose couplers and not with the failure of the hose itself. Failures are mostly due to gaskets falling out or becoming cocked, not fully locking the couplers together and hose not securely attached to the coupler itself. Mostly due to user error, not paying attention, haste and lack of inspection.

Also, three 5’ lengths do not compress as much as one 15’ length due to the intermediate rigid couplers, so be aware if storage length space is limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffin-rich View Post
- 25' Camco 22833 Premium Drinking Water Hose (5/8"ID x 25')
This is their blue water safe hose and is quite rigid. You will find it is a handful in cooler weather, as HiJoeSilver indicated and tends to kink due to its rigidity. I recommend you stick with their white hose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlM View Post
the 15 ft rhino will not fit in the tube under the trailer
You can remove one of the coupler ends and trim the hose length so that it fits the tube. You won’t reduce the overall hose length that much. I’ve done this and according to my notes you reduce the extended length 3.7” for every 1” of compressed length removed. Do the trimming in small increments to lessen the risk of over trimming. Not near my trailer now, so I can’t give you exact numbers. Note, you will need a wire cutter as well as a sharp tool.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:27 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
It is difficult to tell someone else what they will need. After a few years under my belt now I would say to start with the basics HOWEVER, I had to upgrade my basics due to not having long enough cords/hoses. I recommend 50 foot and the larger diameter drinking hose. One place I stayed the water tap was clear off in the woods away from the site- they had run a straight line between front/back sites and there was wooded area between. I had to get a longer hose after going and asking where the water hookup was. You might consider those newer crinkle hoses that really shrink down when not in use. I bought the nevRkink and hate it. I have never seen a hose that kinked more- every few inches. Also consider extensions or second hoses 25x2 if the price is good. That way you can have less weight and pull out more length only if needed.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:04 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, as for sewer hoses I switched to Dominator 20' kit and three 10' extensions. I have a total of 50' and each 10' section collapses to 3' for easy storage. Most of the time, one ten foot section will be enough.

I have one 10' water hose and two 20' water hoses. Almost always one ten footer will be enough.

I bought a 25' shore power cord extension; So far I have never needed to use it, but you never know. I also have a 50 Amp dog bone and have used it three times. Rarely, but a few places only have a 50 Amp receptacle at the power post.

I have a water pressure regulator and only use it when the camp ground has very high water pressure; They will let you know at the office if they have extra high water pressure. I use it at the spigot to protect my hose.
Quote:

Richard

Hi, my post previous to your's explains it. To protect your hose.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:32 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffin-rich View Post
Grateful2, what is this called? I can't tell what it is and the pic won't resize to something legible. Thanks, Rich
Rich,
These are called Cord Pro. http://www.cordpro.com.

I use the XL size for my 30A Electrical cord and the regular size for my 25' hoses. I love these.

I think Camping World carries therm.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:25 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Drinking hoses, some have plastic connections. I would stay away from those. Speaking from experience like most plastic they do not handle UV or repeated use very well and will fail at the worst possible time. Brand is not important. I recommend 5/8 ID with quality heavy duty brass end connections. I have yet to find a rubber hose that will not eventually kink or develope cracks in the outer cover. I do have a length of 1/2 inch coiled plastic hose. It seems to significantly decrease the pressure. Only benefit I can see is it does store in a small space. I continue to carry it to use for a secondary outside shower/rinse hose using a splitter and a spray head.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:53 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Don't forget your Airstream has over 30 gallons of fresh water capacity plus storage for black and gray water if you get in a pinch. Try to travel with water tank full and storage tanks empty, you may not need a bunch of extra hoses.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:52 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I forgot to mention this, a few others have I believe, a surge/undervoltage protector. I have been camping only four years now but in that time this accessory has "warned me twice" not to say something would have happened but at least the thing did what it was supposed to do. Both times it was UNDERVOLTAGE which can cause problems. Two co-workers that are camp fiends have a motorhome and went out west. Their RV electrical was destroyed while staying at a park that had a damaged electrical. They ended up getting on board electrics replaced as well as some appliances that trip. After their sharing is when I bought this. I do NOT use it when on the generator.
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2016, 09:06 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Does Airstream supply hoses, cords, etc with new Airstreams? I know that some SOBs do. We have a new Camping World in my area. They provide to all NEW trailer RV buyers a kit that includes all necessary hoses and cords. Also in the kit is a bucket, sponge, soap, wax, black tank treatment and some other goodies. This all comes in a large Good Sam/Camping World tote. Of course not everything that will be needed but enough to get started with the basics.
The Airstream Dealer, Bates RV, gave me a kit when I purchased my AS. It will get you started but it is bare minimum 10ft of hose, etc. I was thankful it is just that I knew it would be soon replaced.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:59 PM   #54
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveswenson View Post
Rich,

I use the XL size for my 30A Electrical cord and the regular size for my 25' hoses. I love these.

Thanks Dave! Ain't that interesting?!?! Will have to try one out... Thanks for the note!
Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:08 AM   #55
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Montgomery , Florida
Cord Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveswenson View Post
Rich,

Got mine Home Depot.com 20 bucks or so get two xl and I reg ,buy water hose that won't twist FYI ,1 for 30 amp ,1 water, small for coax cable and get two quick connects
Grateful2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:49 PM   #56
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:

Richard
There are some campgrounds where the water pressure is so high that the freshwater hose will leak or burst. There is one place where we stay every year or two where the pressure is 100 PSI where that is the problem. They warn people and have pressure reducers for sale. I just fill the freshwater tank and use that instead.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:47 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by AldeanFan View Post

Also, most parks with full hookups are near a walmart,

Nope.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 08-25-2016, 04:50 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
There are some campgrounds where the water pressure is so high that the freshwater hose will leak or burst. There is one place where we stay every year or two where the pressure is 100 PSI where that is the problem. They warn people and have pressure reducers for sale. I just fill the freshwater tank and use that instead.

All modern airstream have a pressure reducer built in. My 2007 had one and so does my 2014. Indontbknowvexactlybhowvlong ago they started including them, but I'm sure they did at least from 2007.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums