Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2008, 12:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
side gaucho - deployed or stowed?

Not certain how to ask that question Just got my '73 Overlander with center bed. I am planning to replace the upholstry (probably foam too) and focusing on the side gaucho first - where I will be sleeping! How many of you use the gaucho as seating? I was thinking to just side it open and leave it configured as the double bed. Functional? Not? The walkway to the rear bath will obviously be a bit limited, but is that really a problem? And, is there a problem towing with it in the extended/deployed position? I wanted to decide this before doing the re-upholstry. If I leave it configured as a bed, heck, I'll just get a mattress topper and comforter -forget about the upholstry!

I'm sure this is a personal preference, but I don't *yet* see how the side gaucho makes efficient seating ....
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
I had a center Gaucho that I installed in my (former) Trade Wind, I left it as a Gaucho and actually used it to watch TV. Then at night fold it down, Was it a pain, yes a bit. (now have rear bed)

However, I Did see a '66 30'er that has it as you described. He modified the opposite side to gain some room to walk by, looked great and they love it that way.
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
We keep ours as a bed all the time. Gracie our yellow lab can not turn around when next to the bed. She has to make a u-turn in the bathroom.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
We removed the entire unit and built a proper frame with lift top. I now have comfy bed AND have a storage area large enough for a folding table and all of those camping goodies. A huge improvement over the saddleback gaucho that was there.
All of the changes can be unscrewed and the original gaucho can be reinstalled if the next owner sees fit.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
When we had the Ovelander with the mid gaucho/bed, we always left it down. We put a futon mattress on it and only used it to sleep. There wasnt a lot of room as you mentioned but it was wide enough to walk through and get to the closet and drawers. We also used laundry baskets and totes underneath for extra storage. It seemed to be more trouble to put it up and down than to just leave it down.
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:58 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Centralia , Washington
Ours is always used as a bed. A high quality mattress has replaced the cushions and it makes for very comfortable use. The hallway is a bit narrow, but it hasn't proven to be a problem for us. This is how it arrived from the PO.

I do like the idea of removing the goucho hardware and building a new frame with better storage options as it can be difficult to get into the under cabinets as is, but have not gotten around to that yet.

One slight modification the PO made was to add some simple 'legs' out of 1X4 for the front edge of the goucho rails, it seems like a good idea on his part to add some strength to the whole set up.
www.cameron-bailey.com
73Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote