Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-28-2005, 01:42 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
 
sarmimi's Avatar
 
2013 23' FB International
2005 28' International CCD
Petaluma , California
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 110
Images: 12
Shower/Lavatory Vents

We've been on the road 4 months full time now, read through all the manuals, and as always, we learn something new every day!

Today, we found out that the VanAir Ventline fans/vents in the lavatory and shower need to be OPENED to vent "bad" air out. To open them, push up on the "handle" that hangs down from the middle of the vents until they don't go up any more. Turn on the fans and voila! the air is venting outside! Make sure to close the vents by pulling back down on the handle in case of thunderstorms or before you hitch up and travel again.

We were wondering why those vents didn't seem to work very well (always nice smells in the shower and lavatory area), and now we know! They operate much more quietly when the vents are opened also!

BTW, none of this was covered in the manuals nor by our dealer. We found out by accident!
__________________

__________________
'05 Int'l CCD 28' >sold then 8 years later> '13 FB Int'l CCD 25'
'05 Ford Excursion Ltd >> '14 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 LT Crew
6.0L Diesel 3.73 >> 5.3L V8 Ecotec3 3.42
Titus Moto Lite, Nerve Cruiser
Mike, Angela, the kiddies & 10 yr old puppy, Kenzie, our Golden Retriever and best friend ever
sarmimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 02:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
Tin Hut's Avatar
 
2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 800
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmimi
We've been on the road 4 months full time now, read through all the manuals, and as always, we learn something new every day!

Today, we found out that the VanAir Ventline fans/vents in the lavatory and shower need to be OPENED to vent "bad" air out. To open them, push up on the "handle" that hangs down from the middle of the vents until they don't go up any more. Turn on the fans and voila! the air is venting outside! Make sure to close the vents by pulling back down on the handle in case of thunderstorms or before you hitch up and travel again.

We were wondering why those vents didn't seem to work very well (always nice smells in the shower and lavatory area), and now we know! They operate much more quietly when the vents are opened also!

BTW, none of this was covered in the manuals nor by our dealer. We found out by accident!

Don't forget to have a window cracked elsewhere in the trailer when you use those vents. Also, before you flush in the bathroom, turn that vent off or you'll pull up the gasses from the black tank. After the flush, then turn it back on.
__________________

__________________
"would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?"

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 05:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
fastrob's Avatar
 
1976 25' Tradewind
. , AZ to Maine
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 545
Little vent

On our '76 Tradewind rear bath there is a little power vent down by the toilet.
No vent for the shower.

I like the idea of a wet bath where you can get the floor wet but what I have is ok..

Do you guys have wet baths or is that only in the smaller units?
__________________
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 05:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
Tin Hut's Avatar
 
2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 800
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Rob
On our '76 Tradewind rear bath there is a little power vent down by the toilet.
No vent for the shower.

I like the idea of a wet bath where you can get the floor wet but what I have is ok..

Do you guys have wet baths or is that only in the smaller units?
On the CCD 28' the shower is a separate stall across the hall. Hey, I sound like Nipsey Russel.
__________________
"would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?"

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 08:10 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
 
sarmimi's Avatar
 
2013 23' FB International
2005 28' International CCD
Petaluma , California
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 110
Images: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Hut
Don't forget to have a window cracked elsewhere in the trailer when you use those vents. Also, before you flush in the bathroom, turn that vent off or you'll pull up the gasses from the black tank. After the flush, then turn it back on.
Ah yes, forgot about mentioning that. And while we are at it, it may be a good idea NOT to smoke in the the lavatory, as it may be possible to ignite the methane gas!
__________________
'05 Int'l CCD 28' >sold then 8 years later> '13 FB Int'l CCD 25'
'05 Ford Excursion Ltd >> '14 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 LT Crew
6.0L Diesel 3.73 >> 5.3L V8 Ecotec3 3.42
Titus Moto Lite, Nerve Cruiser
Mike, Angela, the kiddies & 10 yr old puppy, Kenzie, our Golden Retriever and best friend ever
sarmimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 09:53 PM   #6
_
 
. , .
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 8,812
use 2 hands when pushing open that vent

the correct way to push on that handle is to use both hands and push on the vertical ends.....not one hand in the middle pushing on the flat part.

if you use the 'one hand' approach that handle will brake in short order....it's a little more resistant to one hand closeing but still be careful.

also it helps to lube the mechanism with a little silicone.

cheers
2air'
__________________

__________________
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
replacement a/c shroud? roof vents? Dave Cole Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning 9 12-05-2009 08:00 PM
Replacing roof vents JAD Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans 10 04-15-2004 10:37 PM
Gaskets, vents, etc... Chuck Windows & Screens 3 10-27-2002 03:18 PM
Refrig. Heating Up rroessler Refrigerators 15 08-07-2002 06:46 PM
Does anyone know #16019? Pahaska Our Community 15 06-30-2002 05:25 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.