Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2019, 02:20 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
We will be heading up to Alaska via Seattle route in 2021. We will be bringing our 18 classic. You wanna coordinate a caravan? Or are you going sooner?

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:16 PM   #22
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Looks like we'll be heading up in May of 2020.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:09 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2008 19' Safari SE
Hocking Hills , Ohio
This thread has my wife and I talking Alaska in the AS again. I've been there once, but flew and rented. We want to experience the full ride. Our thought is that if we were you, we would probably take the 25' since we would be confident, comfortable and familiar with handling it on the road. I know the jump from 19' to 25' for us has been a learning curve in getting a feel for it on the road, backing up, etc. I imagine it might be the same going from 25' to 30'.
We would at least want several road trips and some mountain travel under our belts before towing a 30' to AK. Whatever you choose to do you will love the journey. Alaska is not to be missed! The anticipation of what is around the next bend in the road, scenery, wilderness, wildlife, fishing, food, unique little shops, unique people and out of the way settlements encountered along the way are what it's all about.

From my trip last August:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oakley Peak and Kulik Lake LR. Katmai NP AK.8.18.19.Tom Sheley copy.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	355293   Click image for larger version

Name:	Griz Boar.Kamishak River LR2 CR.Katmai NP AK.8.18.Tom Sheley.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	355294  

Old 10-30-2019, 07:29 PM   #24
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you stay in the flatlands, the PA turnpike likely will be the worst thing you see before you get to northern Alberta. I've *done* that part of the drive (east coast out to Edmonton) a couple of times .... Lots of opportunity to get used to the 30'.

Bob
Old 10-30-2019, 07:53 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
It will be an old, well-used Airstream when you return. How do you feel about that?
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:41 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrysun View Post
I'm planning a trip to Alaska and thinking about trading in my 25ft AS trailer for a new 30ft. However, I'm concern about taking the new 30ft to Alaska due to the roads and maybe damaging the new trailer. Would it be better to just take the older 25ft or would it be ok to take the new trailer?
Thanks for any advise.
If the 25ft long trailer is OK for a 14,000 mile trip to Alaska why go and buy a 30ft long trailer? Your reason for up grading doesn't seem to be very important.

The roads in Alaska. The roads in Indiana? The roads in California? The roads everywhere between? Have you been out there? Roads in the lower 48 can be just as hazardous. I've seen plenty of entanglements. Ever hit a ladder laying on the pavement of the I-295 bridge over the river. Ever see what happens when a tire blows on an AS on I-40? The 30 ft likely has 16" wheels and light truck tires. The 25, if old enough, likely has 15" ST, trailer tires. I'd vote on the LT tires.

I had a car get $3,000 of damage sitting in a hotel parking spot in LaGrange Georgia from a hail storm. I've seen a truck and an Airstream upside down on I-95 near the hwy 210 bridge in Florida. I've driven over a Ranch Road in California to avoid a moving grass fire and gotten flat tires due to big rocks. I've seen a twister flatten houses and trailers in Indiana.

It's just too dangerous out there sell both trailers and stay home.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:53 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
INDIAN HARBOUR BEACH , Florida
We lived in Tok, AK (1983). One of the coolest things was a caravan of Airstreams parked in an open field--I bet about 20 trailers. Of course, one of my thoughts, "Man, I am glad I wasn't behind them." The caravan had an Airstream service trailer with them!

We have a 2018 27' FC. Every time we took it out, something else needed attention from the dealer. Loose drain in sink; 1 A/C replaced (probably could stand it not working in AK), etc. But, I would take a few shake-down trips before heading to AK.

If I was making your decision with your info, I would probably take the current trailer on the trip--it should be pretty solid, no surprises.
Of course, we do not know the state of repair or potential repair issues.
Wish I was making the plan and the trip.
PC Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:17 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Flint , Michigan
We started in a 19’ TT w/2 young children. Then upgraded to a 24’ Class A motorhome as they grew. Next we went to a 30’ TT which we had for 17 years. This past summer we upgraded again to an Argosy 30. Even for just the 2 of us we wouldn’t want anything smaller.

The beauty is in the fact that it is a TT. If I can’t fit in a certain spot I’ll just move to one where I can. Once unhitched those special places are again accessible.

The AK Trip is my Zenith!! WHEN I go I couldn’t think of ANYTHING better to take than my AS Argosy 30 which does have the advantage of steel uppers front & back. But I’ll get the Rock Protectors on the hitch and the Stainless Steel Rock Guards on the front and I’ll probably wrap it as well.

If I had a new one I wouldn’t hesitate to take it if for no other reason than the twin beds. That’s what we’ve had in both our 30’ers. You’ve got to be comfortable especially on such a long trip as you’re planning. I think I’d invest in custom mattresses before I’d take off. Probably would be well worth it!!
Whamm511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:50 AM   #29
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I would urge anyone to take their new Airstream to Alaska. All you need is Enkay mud flap and your trailer will be safe. The key to a good mud flap is to leave about 4" between the bottom of the flaps and the road surface. If you don't the rocks will flip up like Tiddlewinks and hit the front of your trailer. The biggest advantage is that it is a great shakedown trip for a new trailer. Be sure and make an appointment for your repairs at the Airstream Service Center for your return trip on the way home. This will consolidate some repair item together so that you can get the biggies out of the way. I would do the trip in a heart beat.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:49 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Like others I also dream of such a trip someday and will do it when I retire. I want to take the time and drive there without a schedule. Flying there would ruin the experience.
The only reasons I would take the old trailer is the 25' would be a little more nimble here and there, dust and mud accumulation (seeing pictures of those who have traveled there) and potential front damage to the trailer from rocks.
The 30' will definitely be more comfortable when your stopped, mud can be cleaned from the exterior, the dust will find it way into every crevice, put a good set of mud flaps on your tow vehicle.
If it were me I would take the new trailer, take some select tools/materials to fix things along the way and enjoy the trip in a new trailer! The new trailer would have to pass my level of maintenance and a good shakedown before an extended trip.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:51 AM   #31
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

With a new trailer, you have 2+ years of warranty left to fix anything that happened on the trip (No, the warranty doesn't cover everything ....)

Bob
Old 10-31-2019, 11:29 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I covered the front of my trailer and made mud flaps for my Lincoln and still got several dings. My rock shield has a spider crack in it and my windshield has a rock chip in it. Was the trip worth going on? 7734 yes! If dings in your tow vehicle and trailer will make you cry, don't do it. That is why I recommend waiting a few years with new units.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4539.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	370.3 KB
ID:	355370  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 03:20 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Flint , Michigan
Rock Chip?

“....my windshield has a rock chip in it.“

Your AS or your TV?
Whamm511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:35 AM   #34
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

After our summer travels, my TV windshield has a 2' long crack in it an at least three rock chips. We never made it out of the US this summer .....

Bob
Old 11-01-2019, 10:41 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Everywhere , Minnesota
Use it - that's why we buy them!

Without sounding like we would abuse a brand new AS, we wouldn't, we plan once we find our new AS to take it to Alaska, Newfoundland, and other places we have not yet been to. Those longer trips require more than a small RV and we want to fully enjoy all opportunities along the way. A 90 day trip in the new trailer is not something to be taken lightly, but if we cannot use it to our advantage than we should not have bought it.
Yes, accidents and unforeseen things can happen.
But, isn't that what makes it an adventure?
It is not the destination but the journey that is most important.
Live and learn.
Enjoy whatever AS you have and use it to do the things that make you smile and say, 'why did we wait so long to do this?'
Happy trails and many adventures to all AK bound or otherwise.

Jeff and Kathy - Renascence
Old 11-01-2019, 10:28 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whamm511 View Post
“....my windshield has a rock chip in it.“

Your AS or your TV?
Hi, Yes my Lincoln has a nice rock chip in it's windshield. Fortunately it has never turned into a crack. [yet] This was several years ago.

The rock shield on my Airstream, that protects the trailer's front window has a spider crack in it. It did it's job by not letting the front window on my trailer get broken.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:26 AM   #37
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, Yes my Lincoln has a nice rock chip in it's windshield. Fortunately it has never turned into a crack. [yet] This was several years ago.

The rock shield on my Airstream, that protects the trailer's front window has a spider crack in it. It did it's job by not letting the front window on my trailer get broken.
Hi

Any bets on which one will be cheaper to replace (the windshield or the rock shield ?)

My take is that this stuff is simply part of the cost of being out and about. It's no different than gasoline or campground fees. Staying parked in the garage is the only way to avoid them. Drive 10 to 20 thousand miles pretty much anywhere and you are likely to have a "cost" involved. Interstate highways have potholes and construction zones just like side roads. In a lot of areas the interstates are in worse shape than the alternatives.

That said, it would appear that running your AS up the Dempster or Dalton to see the Arctic Ocean does have it's risks At least for us, that will not be part of the route. For others, they may indeed be part of the "must see".

Bob
Old 11-02-2019, 01:21 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
This is us on the Alaska Highway in 2016. The closeup is at Laird Hot Springs Provincial Park BC. There was a lot of muddy roadwork between Dawson Creek and Laird. The second was taken at Kluane Lake, Yukon. We applied yoga mats to the front windows and guards at Whitehorse, Yukon. We later mounted yoga mats on the two roadside windows, which paid off since things got pretty gnarly for the the last 100 miles before the Alaska border.

We were inspired to use yoga mats after hearing a friend's story about a passing 5th wheel (going in their direction) kicking up a rock that penetrated their front window guard and shattered the window, while on the 2014 Wally Caravan. We found rock cuts on our mats. Our RAM had both oversized RAM mud flaps and a set of hitch mounted Rock Tamers.

Other than mud and dirt our trailer came out of the 10K mile trip unscathed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Laird Hot Springs BC.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	355464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Protection.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	338.8 KB
ID:	355465  

SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:56 PM   #39
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Nelson428
I’d go for it, your airstream will be fine. Just take it slow and enjoy the adventure.

You will get dirty, but a little soap and water will wash the dirt away, your memories will last a lifetime.

Hope to see you along the way I will be departing late April for about 5-6 months for my yearly adventure back to the Yukon and Northwest Territory plus some time in Alaska and all points along the way. These were taken traveling with my parents up north.

Name:	JNT_6536.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	443.0 KB
ID:	355489Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	328.4 KB
ID:	355490Attachment 1
AirForums # 66116
Nelson428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:17 AM   #40
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Here's a pretty basic question:

When is it "to early" to hit the Yukon? Based on what I've seen mid May seems to be the general consensus for a reasonable arrival time.

Bob