Old 07-12-2013, 10:09 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We usually travel with a full tank (not that much in a Bambi) because we do a lot of dry camping and sometimes we don't know where we are going to end up or whether there will be water. When we do have hookups we have begun using the on-board water with the water pump, then refilling the fresh water tank when needed (using a filter)...this keeps it fresh...we don't empty our fresh water between trips because we go out frequently. I'd rather seals, etc, not dry out...especially in our climate.

AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
I always start out with completely full fresh water tank. The tank is low and this does a bit to lower the trailer's center of gravity. And since it's full, it doesn't slosh. And I usually am boondocking, so I expect to need the water. Finally, I've had some bad experiences at commercial places. Once I stayed in one for two nights which had city water hookups (so I hooked up) and when leaving, saw a tiny little sign near the exit drive (sign was maybe eight inches square) that said, "Water not safe to drink." Not a happy camper.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
where on most trailers is the fresh water tank? That would affect tongue weight dramatically different correct?

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:11 PM   #18
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
It will lower your COG (centre of gravity). That`s a Good Thing, I believe.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:31 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
bend , Oregon
Now I'm thinking...........

Go with a full tank of fresh water. I just sanitized the tank today and will again before I leave. Also getting a filter for the provided water can't be a bad idea? Thanks for all the helpful comments. BTW campground is Water Wheel , 130 miles South of Bend towards Klamath Falls, if anyone has experience there let me know?
Old 07-12-2013, 11:35 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
where on most trailers is the fresh water tank? That would affect tongue weight dramatically different correct?
It's in different locations in different models and floor plans. In our Bambi, for instance, it's under the street side dinette seat. I 'm not sure where it is located on a 30' like you're expecting.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
On my 27FB its dead center between the two axles.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #22
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
This same subject came up about 6 weeks ago and I really got interested in the replies. Think it's "your choice" but one of the engineer types said that it wasn't a big deal gas mileage wise....and that the weight ought not be a problem unless you're bumping the max. I almost always fill my tank because YOU NEVER KNOW. (I gravitate towards a "Plan B").. I use my trailer enroute, lunch, restroom, etc. And, what would happen (God forbid), if there was an issue and you had to boondock enroute? Stuff happens. The joy of my trailer is the flexibility it affords me. And, water is just essential....
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
And, what would happen (God forbid), if there was an issue and you had to boondock enroute? Stuff happens. The joy of my trailer is the flexibility it affords me. And, water is just essential....
Yup ... I've always got some food and propane aboard, so I can eat and make heat. And I can make electricity with my solar panels or generator or even tow vehicle alternator if need be. And I can make light. But I can't produce water. And it's the thing upon which life is most dependent. So ... where I go, it goes.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:38 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
On our 31' the water tank is just in front of the axles. The gray water is over the axles. The black water is behind the axles.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:08 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I agree that its a good idea to carry some water, its essential for life. I like to carry enough for the first night of camping and the following morning. It depends on where I'm headed if I top off or not. Last week to South Lake Tahoe, a 7,200 foot climb, the water there is excellent, so I carried the minimum. My old Ford 5.4 can only make 35 to 40 mph on those grades as is. Later this fall I'm headed to Death Valley. I'm driving the flat route and our water tastes better so I'll probably top off.

I like this discussion. I glad to hear that most people think their trailer pulls better when full. My last SOB recommend towing empty.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:09 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Since the fresh water tank's contents are probably the heaviest single item that the user has control over, I would think it would be installed over the axles. Both the Flying Cloud and International 30' models and all the Classic models have a 54 gallon fresh water tank. It would make sense that this over four hundred pound weight be between the axles.

I was told that always carrying a full tank starting a trip helps to keep the center of gravity lower.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
We always take a full tank of water, and an extra 6 gallons in a blue water jug. Even if we were going to a campground with water hook ups, which would be a rarity, we still like to have our own water for cooking, coffee and bathing. Our home water is chlorinated, which helps keep our water tank clean. If we had hard water, or a well, then we might think differently.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:17 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
I always travel with afull tank of fresh water. I have had several occasions where I was glad I had a full tank.