Old 03-13-2011, 07:54 AM   #15
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
headin outa texas

we are leaving bastrop, tx this morning....first stop lake livingston state park, livingston, texas.....two days....gettin mail at SKP headquarters and checking out the dogwoods and other texas spring bloomin items...

won't hit louisiana until march 18th........ramblin around east texas and then cajun country

WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:27 AM   #16
Islander

leaving east texas

well it is spring break........martin dies jr state park near jasper is an ok place though.......later today we are heading for our first venture into louisiana's state parks....sam houston jones....state park north of lake charles....a good place to explore a good portion of LA......venturing tp grand isle state park later next week and noticed that one needs some kind of pass to traverse the bridge going into grand isle.....any cajun airstreamers able to shed any light on this and all the good things in grand isle....

WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 03-18-2011, 07:54 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Thumbs up Texas Airstream Harbour.. TAHI

Hello ... If passing thru Zavalla TX, right in the heart of the Piney Woods in East Texas ... Stop by and see us. Great park on Lake Sam Rayburn. We have guest lots and will be here until April 7. Azalea Festival from now until the first of April in Natchitoches TX which is about 30 miles from us. Have a great trip... Annie and Marvin Fisher...
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:28 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have just left Louisiana. Be aware that they have taken on the Reserve America contract which allows them to assess a $6 fee for walkins as well as reservations. Booooo---hisssssssss!

Kisatchie NF is nice and also cheap. You may also find PA campgrounds cheaper than the state parks there.

Travel safe,

Maggie
Old 03-20-2011, 07:40 AM   #19
Islander

sam houston jones

in the heart of lake charles....and boy do the natives come out on the weekend.......thick with kids....kids having kids....we must be in the throes of some kind of population explosion.....no problem with high gas prices....everyone must have a job,,,,,,or they are all on welfare and flock to the state parks,,,,
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 03-21-2011, 05:55 PM   #20
Islander

movin along in Louisiana

well we had sunday night and this morning to ourselves at the sam houston jones park and it is beautiful...the swamps and bayous are great, many beautiful trails within the park.

headed down to the coastline and followed LA 82 along the coast and into Abbeville...would not want to be there in a hurricane.

we have arrived at the legendary betty's rv park in abbeville and attended happy hour presided over by none other than betty, who is a wonderful host...great place and abbeville and surrounding areas are quite scenic...tomorrow we explore more, including avery island.......hot sauce
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 03-22-2011, 08:57 PM   #21
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
When we were at the Tabasco shop, they had a little pot of boudain going.

Memorable.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:43 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher24
we are leaving bastrop, tx this morning....first stop lake livingston state park, livingston, texas.....two days....gettin mail at SKP headquarters and checking out the dogwoods and other texas spring bloomin items...

won't hit louisiana until march 18th........ramblin around east texas and then cajun country
I hope you looked up the new campground in Abbeville / toward intracoastal , Palmetto State campground ! It is great ! Just camped there with my family that still lives in Abbeville.

Happy to finally be part of the crowd
La.2Ak. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:02 AM   #23
Islander

palmeto state park

next time i am in the area of abbeville it will be a stay at the state park along the vermillion river....

it is boudin sausage...bloodless pork and a rice mixture

the jungle at avery island
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2823.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	639.6 KB
ID:	125131  
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 03-25-2011, 07:03 AM   #24
Islander

at the waters edge

heading east on US 90 out of New Iberia one passes a large farming area of field after field of what??? anyone know...

looks like garlic and past than and on in the swamps near thibodaux and the intersection of LA 1 there is a sign that says Grand isle State Park...67 miles and it is every inch.....

a long drive.... and that is just to Golden Meadow and then to Leeville and then on to the "bridge" that goes on and on for miles until one finally arrives at grand isle state park........

it is amazing how clean the beaches are and there is ample evidence that there are thousands still involved in the "cleanup".....the economic impact of the cleanup is massive...new businesses everywhere cleaning up the massive spill and cleaning up with BP;s money

and so we head back out north this morning and a journey that will take us across Lake Ponchatrain and into Madisonville and Fairview Riverside state park for a couple of days........

travel on
WBCCI 2541

4CU
Old 03-25-2011, 10:50 AM   #25

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Later today we are headed in your general direction...a couple of nights across the river from Natchez.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:32 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Corinth , Mississippi
Interstate 10

I have just crossed the state of Louisiana westbound on I-10 and it was rough and damaging. I will be going back another route though I don't know the condition of eastbound lanes.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:39 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher24
heading east on US 90 out of New Iberia one passes a large farming area of field after field of what??? anyone know...

looks like garlic and past than and on in the swamps near thibodaux and the intersection of LA 1 there is a sign that says Grand isle State Park...67 miles and it is every inch.....

a long drive.... and that is just to Golden Meadow and then to Leeville and then on to the "bridge" that goes on and on for miles until one finally arrives at grand isle state park........

it is amazing how clean the beaches are and there is ample evidence that there are thousands still involved in the "cleanup".....the economic impact of the cleanup is massive...new businesses everywhere cleaning up the massive spill and cleaning up with BP;s money

and so we head back out north this morning and a journey that will take us across Lake Ponchatrain and into Madisonville and Fairview Riverside state park for a couple of days........

travel on
All I can think about is sugar cane . Nmh I miss the smell of the sugar cane .

Happy to finally be part of the crowd
La.2Ak. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:53 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Could also be rice---I recall rice on hilled rows, rather low and bushy---sugar cane is taller and grows quite densely, if I recall correctly.

If you get a chance to pick up pure cane syrup, it is delectable on biscuits, and quite inexpensive.

We went looking for bratwurst in Louisiana this last trip, I don't know what we were thinking. No brats, of course, but about 6 different flavors of boudin and numerous other local sausages. I brought back 5lbs of smoked sausage last fall, as it flavors jambalaya, red beans and rice, etc., so well, and our Yankee sausage is just not the same.

Grand Isle SP is beautiful, and the drive down something not to be missed, at least once. Seems to go on forever, but the houses on stilts on either side of the road are pretty cool. Can't imagine the area in a bad storm, there would be no road at all, just water!

Bayou Segnette SP in the Algiers area across from LA is a good place to stay if you want to go into NOLA. The park will give you directions for the short drive to the free ferry, lands you right in the Quarter.

It will all be beautiful down there right now, I envy you Louisiana in the springtime.

Travel safe,

Maggie