Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2008, 05:21 PM   #121
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
It is so good to hear that things are working out, no matter how slowly it seems right now. There have been a couple of stories on these forums that will stick in memory for a long time - this is one of them. We can all put ourselves in your place and we know how scary it would have been. You've lived it and good for you. Continue to keep your head up, you've shown that you can handle that. Good for you! Isn't it great to have a good friend along with you? Our last cat was with us for one week short of his 20th birthday - longer than most folks have their children in their home. But, was he ever a comfort so many ways and so many times. Good to hear that all is working out. Enjoy yourself while in our area and good luck with your new home.
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:43 PM   #122
2 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
She got the trailer to the best place for the repair. Everything is going her way. Kip you did a great job getting the trailer sealed up for her too.

Michelle, love your out look. Enjoy your trip and the new home you have waiting for you when you get back.
Lou
bolou97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:55 PM   #123
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
We are certainly glad you and Sarah came through this mishap in good shape.
When things don't seem to go my way I try to look on the bright side. Remember that bath tub you told me you would really like to have in the trailer? I'm sure that when they remove some panels for repair that they can insert just about any size tub you can imagine through that hole into your AS. Full-length soaking up to your neck! I'll leave it up to you to figure how many water heaters you would need.
I admire your spirit!
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:15 PM   #124
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Any time someone is involved in an accident with a police vehicle, I'm reminded of an accident that happened several years back with the Robertsdale, AL police department. One of their officers was on his way to a call, topped a hill at close to 100mph, and plowed into the rear end of a concrete truck that had just pulled onto the highway. The truck was completely out into the road and beginning to accelerate when the policeman hit him square in the rear. The police dept. charged the truck driver with failure to yield right-of-way to an emergency vehicle. Anyone who's ever seen a loaded concrete truck move, knows that he couldn't have just whipped out in front of the patrol car. The ticket held up in court, much to the dismay of local residents and the truck driver ended up losing his job over the incident. Something about the company's insurance.
Michelle, I wish you the best of luck with getting the police department to admit fault in this case. I have a great deal of respect for anyone who serves the public in any manner, but not all of them are always honest. The big thing is that you made it throught the accident unharmed and forum members proved that there are still good people out there willing to help another person in need.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:24 AM   #125
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
Lone Jack , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journalist View Post
I'm reminded of an accident that happened several years back with the Robertsdale, AL police department. One of their officers was on his way to a call, topped a hill at close to 100mph, and plowed into the rear end of a concrete truck that had just pulled onto the highway. The truck was completely out into the road and beginning to accelerate when the policeman hit him square in the rear.
It was unfortunate that you had to witness that horrific accident! How else would the authorities have known the police vehicle was going 100 mph without your testimony? With that much speed vs a slow moving concrete truck, the officer surely died from the impact!

To be a witness to that event must be life changing!
Pop.528

"You better learn it fast; you better learn it young"-John Fogerty
Larry in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:10 AM   #126
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
There are always two sides to a story. Accidents are called accidents for a reason. I hope everything works out for Michelle and certainly she has all our sympathy, but that's no reason to have ill will or poor opinions of the police. If the officer made a mistake, then that's all it was. That doesn't make him or his fellow officers evil, malicious, or reckless. And it doesn't mean there will be a coverup. Police are often held accountable for their actions to a higher degree than the rest of the public.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:14 AM   #127
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Musings

Hi Michelle - I had two random thoughts (two in one day, that's a record!). First some people here probably think being involved in two accidents says something negative about your driving abilities, however I know that it's just the opposite.

Simply put, you drive more miles in six months than most others do in six years, so it is more likely that you'll be on the road and exposed to damage than those whose Airstreams are primarily "yard art". Secondly - your 'stream survived TWO serious accidents... repeat SURVIVED. How many people total theirs in relatively less serious circumstances.

#2 - VISIBILITY: I did see ONE thing on another Airstream last week that caused me to pause and think. Your story has turned that into a "go out and DO it" change to my Airstream. An Airstreamer from Richmond put 1 inch yellow reflective tape all around the edge of the bellypan of his Airstream - It's the kind truckers use and it DOES glow in the dark. I find it unbelievable that the police officer who pancaked you couldn't see a combination that was over 40 ft. long, but I've decided that if I'm towing in the rain or misty weather or at twilight, I want the extra reflectivity. Heck I might even go the "Artstream" route and put in blue tubular lighting around the belly pan and turn it on while running!

Short of painting the airstream hot pink, I'll do everything I can to make it stick out like the proverbial sore thumb.

Paula
Old 11-14-2008, 11:38 AM   #128
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Well the determination was made this morning. She will be fixed and they will be going after the police dept insurance for the repair and deductable. I will be picking her up after the first of the year.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:45 AM   #129

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

#2 - VISIBILITY: I did see ONE thing on another Airstream last week that caused me to pause and think. Your story has turned that into a "go out and DO it" change to my Airstream. An Airstreamer from Richmond put 1 inch yellow reflective tape all around the edge of the bellypan of his Airstream - It's the kind truckers use and it DOES glow in the dark. I find it unbelievable that the police officer who pancaked you couldn't see a combination that was over 40 ft. long, but I've decided that if I'm towing in the rain or misty weather or at twilight, I want the extra reflectivity. Heck I might even go the "Artstream" route and put in blue tubular lighting around the belly pan and turn it on while running!

Short of painting the airstream hot pink, I'll do everything I can to make it stick out like the proverbial sore thumb.

Paula
Paula,
I have been thinking about the visibility issues. I had all my lights on. He hit my truck first. Granted it is silver too.
Some red/white reflective tape truckers use on thier trailer would be a great idea! I think they should come from the factory that way. I know 2air has some one his.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:50 AM   #130
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
#2 - VISIBILITY: I did see ONE thing on another Airstream last week that caused me to pause and think. Your story has turned that into a "go out and DO it" change to my Airstream. An Airstreamer from Richmond put 1 inch yellow reflective tape all around the edge of the bellypan of his Airstream - It's the kind truckers use and it DOES glow in the dark. . .
Paula
That's a GREAT idea. Might also be worthwhile to put reflective tape on the bottom.

A few years ago in Wisconsin a trailer rolled on its side and a bus driver plowed right into it in the dark. If it had tape on the undercarriage he would have seen it.

Five people died and 29 injured.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:42 PM   #131
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Glad to hear you will be able to continue on your travels, then return to get your rig. I have two Airstreams in my driveway. You and Sara are welcome to stay in one if you come through Chattanooga.

Don't forget to take care of yourself through all of this process!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:06 PM   #132
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Michelle, it's probably best not to post specifics about how the collision occurred on the Forum. You never know how a ambiguously worded sentence can come back at you. Your insurance company will handle it for the time being. Hiring a lawyer is up to you, but I'd wait until you see how your insurer is handling it (of course, I am a lawyer, so I may be looking at this differently than you since I'm used to dealing with insurance companies and when to push them). Colorado is not a no-fault state, so fault can be apportioned between the parties depending on what happened. It's called comparative negligence, but the various insurers will probably figure it out because they want to avoid the expense of going to court. If your insurer is not representing you properly, then you may need a lawyer to go after them. All accident investigations are handled by the Colorado State Troopers, not the local jurisdiction. How much deference the Troopers will give to the local guy will show in the investigative report which can take some time.

Glad to see you could make it to Jackson Center with only one snowstorm in the Colorado plains. They can be quite an experience and many people have spent the night in Limon over the years. At least you didn't have to sleep in your truck or spend the night sipping caffeine in the Flying J. I hope all this works out for you and I guess you will be spending some time at the factory. With all that trailer has been through, it's a testimony of how well they are built that you could tow it another 1,000 miles. I'd wonder if the frame is straight by now.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:24 PM   #133
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Visibility issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
Paula,
I have been thinking about the visibility issues. I had all my lights on. He hit my truck first. Granted it is silver too.
Some red/white reflective tape truckers use on thier trailer would be a great idea! I think they should come from the factory that way. I know 2air has some one his.
I worry about visibility issues as well. Our polished trailer was broadsided last December right after we completed a left turn in Baker, Ca on our way to Death Valley.....We have a red (wine colored) truck and the guy hit us (drove directly into us at a right angle) at the wheels of our trailer...and then the skin was peeled back as we continued going forward until we could stop. We were stunned wondering what that big pow sound was. He said his RV jumped out of park (he was exiting a restaurant driveway--The Mad Greek) and hit us but I think maybe he didn't really see the trailer due to the reflection of the sky (it was about 4 pm on a clear day). It is enough to give one pause....

Glad you are going to get your trailer back fixed up from the factory! paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:31 PM   #134
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Michelle - since the trailer is your primary residence can you get them to cover the cost of having to live else where for 2 months?

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:29 PM   #135
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry in MO View Post
It was unfortunate that you had to witness that horrific accident! How else would the authorities have known the police vehicle was going 100 mph without your testimony? With that much speed vs a slow moving concrete truck, the officer surely died from the impact!

To be a witness to that event must be life changing!
I only witnessed the aftermath. His speed was determined by the videotape from his patrol car dash camera which was recording at the time. The officer lived due to the fact that the truck was luckily moving forward and not stopped in the road. Actual impact speed was likely equivalent to under 50mph once you figure in the fact that he locked his brakes well before impact and subtract the truck's speed. The cop ended up with both of his legs broken, several broken ribs, one broken wrist, a pretty serious concussion and one nasty case of whiplash. It scattered pieces of Chevy Caprice (the old square type) over a huge area and shoved the dashboard of the cruiser back into the driver's seat.(thus the broken legs) The engine and transmission ended up under the middle of the car, The front wheels where under the front seats, the hood was torn completely off and the front bumper was roughly where the foot wells for the front seats should have been. The guy is lucky to be alive. He ended up staying out of work for over a year recovering.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:18 PM   #136

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Gene,
I am letting my insurnace company handle it that is thier job. When thier is over and the outcome is not to my satisfaction then I will decide if a lawyer is needed.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:23 PM   #137

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Michelle - since the trailer is your primary residence can you get them to cover the cost of having to live else where for 2 months?
Janet,
It will not be necessary. I will be staying with friends on my way to florida and with my sister over the holidays. I may need one Hotel Stay on the way back to pick up the trailer at the first of the year.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:36 PM   #138
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
So Michelle -- they'll start on it when? And then how long will it take them.

It didn't look like it was impacted as far as the A-frame/main frame junction -- mostly an outrigger affected. Do you have a more clear idea what they're saying was damaged down below?

Please, no holidays talk yet.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:57 PM   #139

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
So Michelle -- they'll start on it when? And then how long will it take them.

It didn't look like it was impacted as far as the A-frame/main frame junction -- mostly an outrigger affected. Do you have a more clear idea what they're saying was damaged down below?

Please, no holidays talk yet.
The insurance company gave thier approval. They are going to start on it Monday. Given the holiday breaks they expect to be finished about the first of the year.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:43 AM   #140
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
The insurance company gave thier approval. They are going to start on it Monday. Given the holiday breaks they expect to be finished about the first of the year.

Great News, Michelle.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote