Old 11-10-2008, 06:06 PM   #71
Rivet Master

Glad you could help out Michelle. I called our local airstream dealer, explained what had happened, and the service mgr gave me 16 reasons why they couldn't even take a quick look at Michelle's trailer.

"62 ATW Overlander, '51 Flying Cloud
'67 GT, '90 Squarestream 29ft, 06 Bambi, Bigfoot slide in/GMC Denali K2500, Marathon Coach, Class A.
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:10 PM   #72
4 Rivet Member
2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
OUCH!! I read the beginning of your trip - since you were coming our way, I wanted to keep up with your trip. Missed it last night so wanted to catch up tonight - I simply could not believe what I've been reading. When I saw five pages in such a short time, it looked like something was amiss! I am so sorry to read about the accident but so very happy to read that no serious damage to health, only to happiness (and TT and truck). Will continue reading about your trip and hope you make it to JC uneventfully from now on. Good luck and best wishes!!

pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:27 PM   #73
Rivet Master
1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
Glad your OK. Good thing you had a big tow vehicle. It seems you did a heck of a job keeping it under control. Alot happening when your sandwiched.

Where is I 76 and I 70 we have the same freeways here in Ohio but they dont meet. I would offer a helping hand, if you are near by.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:49 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado

Michelle and I went and picked up her truck after she had a nap. She is now on the way east to Jackson.

Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:51 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Originally Posted by mustang View Post

Where is I 76 and I 70.
Arvada, Colorado
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:01 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Nice Job buttoning it up!

It looks both better and worse in the cold light of day. You two did a great job with the aluminum tape making it tight again. I'd guess you've got $20K in damage there.

Wow. Again I'm even more amazed that you didn't roll particularly as he got your truck too. So, I know you're heading to JC... when do you think your truck will be ready to go?

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:32 PM   #77
Rivet Master
1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Paula... unless Kip made the trailer a motorhome, I think she's driving the truck.

That's some good, quick work Kip! Bummer. If the damage stopped short of the long panels, it might be an "easy" fix... now those two LONG panels need replacement too.

Michelle, you have nerves of a steel bridge! It takes a special someone to fly those fire planes... another just to take the house and keep driving.

Take care!
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:32 PM   #78
Rivet Master
1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
WOW! Michelle, I'm so sorry this has happened to you. You've had more than your share dealt your way. Glad you aren't hurt, that good folks have been nearby to help, and you are roadworthy enough to get to Jackson Center.

You must have angels on your shoulder to have survived another close one like this.
Traveling With Elvis
life with a 1956 Sovereign of the Road

• • • Aluminocentricity • • •
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:04 PM   #79
1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
It's pretty much all been said, but just know there's another forum member in Missouri that is glad you're safe and wishing you the best in resolving the trailer issue. Also, my personal thanks to those of you that were quick and able to provide the help/encouragement needed. What a neat bunch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
nohillgrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:15 PM   #80

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs down So sorry..

Glad you both made it through relatively unscathed.

Reading through the thread only reinforces just how important and supportive this place can be.

Godspeed, and give the kitty a big hug from all of us.
AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:11 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Been there, done that.

Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Hi Michelle,

Just now reading this thread, and I'm sorry to hear about it, but glad you're okay.

Just so you know, the likely scenario, or SOP is that tickets are not usually issued at the scene of an accident when a police car is involved. The report is made by an uninvolved officer and then reviewed by the respective department having jurisdiction (for instance, the officer involved might have been with the sheriff's department or out of his area, and accidents on the interstate highway are usually - but not always - investigated by the Colorado State Patrol). So, the investigation might be inter-agency.

Regardless of whether the investigation is done by another agency or the officer's own department, the finding of fault might take upward of a week or so, and only then would a citation be issued. Possibly to the officer, or to you, or to both.

Colorado State law is that even when an officer is running with lights and siren he or she must still drive in a responsible manner. I won't quote the state statute as it is rather long and involved. It falls under: "CRS 42-4-108, Public officers to obey provisions - exceptions for emergency vehicles." There is considerable case law for this statute and it would be best if you contacted an attorney specializing in traffic law.

Best of luck to you.
Hi, Michelle and Sarah. Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad to hear you and Sarah are alright. Next, it is a very long story, so I won't tell the long version. As mentioned above by Forrest; [not my story] I was in an accident involving a Sheriff's car. My wife and I were taken care of properly and I was paid off for my totalled vehicle rather quickly. I spent over five hours at the scene of the accident, with about fifteen officers surveying the area. I received my citation three days later and we spent two years in arbitration. The citation was dropped, my record was cleaned, and we won the case without going to court. When it involves the law, it becomes a major production.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:29 PM   #82
Rivet Master
1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Michelle - Nothing new I could add, others have expresssed how we all feel a lot better than I could. I can only hope that I would be as resialiant as you have proven to be. I admire that trait. Please do keep us advised as all this gets resolved. I think I'd be looking for one "kick ass" local powerful lawyer. I'd bet you will need one.

I love that old time rock & roll.
whitsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:34 PM   #83
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Michelle, how are you and the towable target doing? Is everything sealed up for the road? And is the truck still drivable, and capable of towing? I know the truck had some front and rear left damage.
I have many people to thank. That will wait until I get some sleep.
The truck got a new rim, mirror, alignment check and inspection for bent suspention and steering parts. she was pronounced road worthy about 5 PM.
Michelle TAC MT-0
Sarah, Snowball

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:39 PM   #84
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan
2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I just found this thread and can't tell you how sorry I am to hear that this happened to you. So glad you are all right. Like everyone has said.

I don't know about Colorado, but in Georgia, Law Enforcement has to carry extra insurance coverage because they are personally legally liable for damages because the government has sovereign immunity. That doesn't always protect the government agency, but if you don't get anywhere with the police department, you can always go after the cop that was driving...afterall, he crossed over into your lane. He was driving faster than he could safely handle.

Good luck in JC and with the Law in Colorado.

2006 30' Safari - "Changes in Latitudes"
2008 F-250 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab SWB
Family of Disney Fanatics
WBCCI# 4821
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote