Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2008, 09:11 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Been there, done that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Hi Michelle,

Just now reading this thread, and I'm sorry to hear about it, but glad you're okay.

Just so you know, the likely scenario, or SOP is that tickets are not usually issued at the scene of an accident when a police car is involved. The report is made by an uninvolved officer and then reviewed by the respective department having jurisdiction (for instance, the officer involved might have been with the sheriff's department or out of his area, and accidents on the interstate highway are usually - but not always - investigated by the Colorado State Patrol). So, the investigation might be inter-agency.

Regardless of whether the investigation is done by another agency or the officer's own department, the finding of fault might take upward of a week or so, and only then would a citation be issued. Possibly to the officer, or to you, or to both.

Colorado State law is that even when an officer is running with lights and siren he or she must still drive in a responsible manner. I won't quote the state statute as it is rather long and involved. It falls under: "CRS 42-4-108, Public officers to obey provisions - exceptions for emergency vehicles." There is considerable case law for this statute and it would be best if you contacted an attorney specializing in traffic law.

Best of luck to you.
Hi, Michelle and Sarah. Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad to hear you and Sarah are alright. Next, it is a very long story, so I won't tell the long version. As mentioned above by Forrest; [not my story] I was in an accident involving a Sheriff's car. My wife and I were taken care of properly and I was paid off for my totalled vehicle rather quickly. I spent over five hours at the scene of the accident, with about fifteen officers surveying the area. I received my citation three days later and we spent two years in arbitration. The citation was dropped, my record was cleaned, and we won the case without going to court. When it involves the law, it becomes a major production.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:29 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Michelle - Nothing new I could add, others have expresssed how we all feel a lot better than I could. I can only hope that I would be as resialiant as you have proven to be. I admire that trait. Please do keep us advised as all this gets resolved. I think I'd be looking for one "kick ass" local powerful lawyer. I'd bet you will need one.

Jim
Old 11-10-2008, 10:34 PM   #83
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Michelle, how are you and the towable target doing? Is everything sealed up for the road? And is the truck still drivable, and capable of towing? I know the truck had some front and rear left damage.
I have many people to thank. That will wait until I get some sleep.
The truck got a new rim, mirror, alignment check and inspection for bent suspention and steering parts. she was pronounced road worthy about 5 PM.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:39 PM   #84
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I just found this thread and can't tell you how sorry I am to hear that this happened to you. So glad you are all right. Like everyone has said.

I don't know about Colorado, but in Georgia, Law Enforcement has to carry extra insurance coverage because they are personally legally liable for damages because the government has sovereign immunity. That doesn't always protect the government agency, but if you don't get anywhere with the police department, you can always go after the cop that was driving...afterall, he crossed over into your lane. He was driving faster than he could safely handle.

Good luck in JC and with the Law in Colorado.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:43 PM   #85

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
Michelle and I went and picked up her truck after she had a nap. She is now on the way east to Jackson.

Kip
I thought I was clear of the weather. I am now safely stopped in a Flying J near Limon, CO IT is snowing and there are a lot of us parked for the evening.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:37 AM   #86
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I've traveled that stretch of hiway many times on my way to our house in Grand Lake, Colorado. Believe me it seems to go on forever with just flat lands on both sides. Turn up the radio and take some munchies to keep you awake. Be safe and take good care of Sarah. Let use know the price of this repair, we're all waiting to hear that. We're also waiting to hear you made it safely to the "Mother Ship". I told Vincent you had been in an accident and he's pretty upset.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:14 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
So Glad your SAFE!!!

Wow Michelle;

I just caught up on your horrific accident. I am sure glad you have Cats GIRL!!!! cause their lives are surely rubbing off on you.....

At first I thought Gosh that gal has the worst luck - but then I had to shake that thought - you have survived two amazing accidents (along with all sorts of heart wrenching set backs over the last couple of years) You truly are a "spirit of rosie" and with nerves of steel, and driving skills that put us all in awe!

The very best of wishes to you Michelle in that all your travels from here on in be SAFE and without incident....
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:31 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
I am SOOO SOrry! The pictures gave me a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach for you.....Glad no one was injured. I 'm sure you can get it fixed and it will be better than new..

Hang in there!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
I was heading east on I-70 just before the I-76 split and wam I was pancaked from the side I never saw the vehicle. It was a black police SUV. I managed to regain control and pull over safely.
The is much more to the story but I am too tired to elaborate right now.
Both side panels and too structural hoops damaged.
Neither me nor the cat were physicaly injured, mentally is a different story.
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:37 PM   #89
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Michelle, I'm curious about something. If you were on a limited access highway, which travels in one direction, and were struck by a police vehicle going to a call in the opposite direction, what was he doing in your travel lane to begin with? Was he going against traffic? Was he trying to exit the Interstate to turn around?
Old 11-11-2008, 05:17 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
<snip>...and were struck by a police vehicle going to a call in the opposite direction...
From what I understand, they were going the same direction. Which means, he had to actually pass her THEN drift into her lane and hit her. <insert dunce cap smilie here>

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:43 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Let us pray your BAD Advertures are over

Michelle, Just read your adventure. You and Sara are well. GREAT.

The people on this Forum....are caring and helpful. They do say that
Airstreams are different. YES, and so are the people that own them. They are friends and always ready to help.

You have done so many interesting things. This was ONE you handled well. Not too many people could have maintained the vehicle and trailer on the road. You do have many talents and use them.

The pieces will come together. Regards, Aria
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:48 PM   #92
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
He did continue back to his call. It was behind me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
From what I understand, they were going the same direction. Which means, he had to actually pass her THEN drift into her lane and hit her. <insert dunce cap smilie here>

Shari
Old 11-11-2008, 05:59 PM   #93
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post

Shari
That is so mind boggling that he could have hit her so hard and she didn't run off the road. She had to have been caught off guard and it sounds like he hit the truck first and then lost speed rapidly enough to hit the Airstream...I have to wander how much control he had at that point. My guess is very little.

As I said earlier, in Georgia, law enforcement officers are not authorized to use high speed pursuit because any time they exceed the speed limit they are putting civilians at risk and the State doesn't considers capturing any fleeing criminal worth putting civilians in danger.

Like I said, if you get no where with the police department, file a personal liability law suite against the officer if you have to. No one, including me, really wants to do that to one of our under paid protectors of our life and property, but it might light a fire under his department to step up to the plate. If it doesn't you will have a case that if he lost control, or otherwise couldn't keep his vehicle in his lane, he was driving too fast and therefore used poor judgment when he decided to drive that fast.

Good luck with the settlement Michelle. Keep us posted on your condition and whether some latent issues crop up. That often happens when the adrenaline clears the system.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:34 PM   #94
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Hey Michelle you are welcome to stay over here

Hey Michelle,
If you have time stop up from JC we'll leave the porch light on! You are welcome to come over anytime!!
Steph
Old 11-11-2008, 06:46 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
They say that "life is an adventure!" But, it seems like you are getting more than your share... I am so glad you and Sarah are okay!

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 11-11-2008, 07:05 PM   #96
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
michelle & sarah

i'm glad you're both ok.

i wonder if the cop thought he was passing a motor home and moved over and found your truck in front?
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:25 PM   #97
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Hey Michelle what are your coordinates? This is like tracking a package.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:29 PM   #98
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
In Limon, you have to specify the NEW or the OLD Flyin J...I found this out last May

Best of Luck Michelle
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:37 PM   #99

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
Last night I pulled into Maxandgeorgia in Columbia, MO late. I slept for aout 9 hours and Georgia cooked me a nice breakfast and I had to hit the trail. I stopped by Max's office to pick up the faxed copy of the final version of the contract on my house. I now have a contract on a house!

I pulled into JC about 45 minutes ago. I spent 9 hours on the road today and I am pretty much back on schedule except my trailer was supposed to be geting minor maintanence not a major repair.
I still owe a huge thanks to many people for getting me back on the road.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:42 PM   #100

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Michelle, I'm curious about something. If you were on a limited access highway, which travels in one direction, and were struck by a police vehicle going to a call in the opposite direction, what was he doing in your travel lane to begin with? Was he going against traffic? Was he trying to exit the Interstate to turn around?
We were both going the same direction on I-70. He was trying to get from my left to the shoulder on the right.
My insurance company called today to continue the process. They are right now making noises of going after the police department insurance for the repair.