Old 11-09-2008, 09:21 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Hi Michelle
Whow is all I can say! Glad nothing was hurt except your feelings. Looks pretty bad. This is just what I have been saying all along about the heavier tow vehicles.Because of its weight it was not easily upset and thus you were able to regain control. U have to take credit for skill in a crisis situation. I'd be privileged to caravan with U any day
Glad U and family were unhurt.
I'm sure what ever the solution repair or replace U will handle.GOOD LUCK!

Roger & MaryLou
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:41 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Glad you and the cat are okay, and I second the comments about the Airstream being replaceable. I don't think I would want that much damage repaired with olympics, so their insurance ought to be getting you a 2009 model year.

Overall, we're glad you are okay.

Streaming Soldiers Blog
soldiermedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:02 AM   #17
Rivet Master
2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Glad you are ok. Truck is fine and the trailer can be repaired as good a new. The cops can afford to have it done properly. Fill us in on the horrible details when you feel up to it. If you need help, don't hesitate to ask us forum folks.
Air 16426

Fully retired now!
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:06 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Michelle - SO sorry to hear about the accident. Please keep the faith and know that we are here to help in any way we can.

If you need ANYTHING.....please, do no be afraid to ask. You will find that those of us in the area are here if you need us. Either respond to this thread or send us a private message and we will be there for you. There are three of us that have reached out to help you.

There are two Airstream Dealers in the area and we can guide you in that choice if you want to get your coach in for repairs.
Steve "Centennial Man"
centennialman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:07 AM   #19
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Did you get a police report?

Scanning over the pictures, and from what I know is inside those damaged panels, you are looking at $25K or so in damage.
Two inner and outer corner segments, that big wing window, regular window, two flat vista views, bannana wrap, and two aluminum sheets. Add the woodwork and fixtures that are in that corner, and the two bows in that area.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:50 AM   #20
Rivet Master
1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
WHAT? Oh Michelle, I am so sorry for you... two fairly big accidents in a year or so... I too am curious about what happened, but so glad you and the kitty are ok. That must have been some hit... and glad you where able to stay in control.

Take care! (Did you mention you might want to downsize???? - not like this I suppose!!)
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:03 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member
2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
Sorry to hear that you had a very bad day, glad you and your kitty were fine. Horrible news, we hope everything works out for the best. George & Kym
mrchinup1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:13 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I guess we all want to know about the "fault" aspect of this since it was a police SUV that hit you. Looks like he had to be at fault since he hit you so far back that he hit the Stream. Glad you and Sarah and the truck are in good shape. Hey, Bob and I have a little Argosy that could get you to where you're going if you need a fill in. Not the luxury you're use to, but hey it's an Airstream and way cute.
Judy At Home in Oklahoma
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:19 AM   #23
Rivet Master
2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
Michelle, you and the kitty are very lucky. Split second earlier and the smack would have been on your truck door if I'm seeing this correctly. Take advantage of the help offered here, I know I would. If you make it this far and need help, just ask.
Roadtoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:56 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia

I was going to start with "Curses" - but wow, woman you can DRIVE! A hit that hard in the front of your Airstream and you stayed upright and in control? Excellent skills in a terrible situation!

Whatever else... make them buy new upholstery for the driver's seat of your tow vehicle! Seriously, I'd bet there was some damage to your tow vehicle's hitch... and possibly even the frame. Get that area checked carefully.

I'd guess it's totalled. I can't believe with that much body damage that the frame isn't bent too. That is one of the most important things to check, because if it's damaged no amount of work will ever make it right. I'm SO glad it hit the Airstream instead of your truck! I know you've had some pretty bad knocks lately, but with the damage as bad as it is you're blessed to walk away - and you earned it too.

Please keep us posted - we all want to help you in any way we can. If you weren't changing lanes or doing something else radical I've got to think that the trooper was at fault - running over the limit without lights and sirens for example. If so, GO FOR a new 2009 - they should be glad to settle, and you're on your way to JC anyway! (They don't sell direct, but surely can work a deal through an Ohio dealer so that you can pick up a new unit from the factory.)

I'll look for four leaf clover and send you the first one I find. You deserve NO more bad breaks for a long time!

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:13 PM   #25
The Silver Schooner
2007 28' Safari SE
Dover , New Hampshire
Aaaaaaurgh - what a monumental bummer. Thank heavens you and your kitty are o.k. Of course we all want to know the details - and the continuing saga of what will happen to get back on track - when you are up for it. I'm too far away to be of help on the scene - but send you lots of morale support as do lots of others. Best wishes for a reasonable resolution as quickly as possible so you can get back to your life.
Louisa & Jasper Joy
Pudentane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:35 PM   #26
Full Timers/Diesel power.
1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
but wow, woman you can DRIVE! A hit that hard in the front of your Airstream and you stayed upright and in control? Excellent skills in a terrible situation! Paula
I think all of us are teary-eyed this afternoon; we've all seen it before: trailer and TV all over the highway: this gal's got good karma, not to mention chops.
"A settled wisdom, plus the itch to be elsewhere"
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 01:03 PM   #27
Rivet Master
1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
We love reading of your adventures - but not this one! So glad you maintained control and no injuries except to psyche. A testament to your skills and the stability of modern vehicles.

Odd thing is that I was thinkin' yesterday of you and your trip to JC, and hoping you didn't encounter snowy roads. Who'd have thunk it'd come to this? Hope you can get her fixed up ... and maybe we all better hope in the meantime that your home offer gets accepted! Best wishes.

Does make me sorta' wonder how the cops miss seeing and avoiding a 31' silver trailer and a F250 ... aren't they supposed to be "pro" drivers??!!

AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 01:39 PM   #28
Gypsygirl1 and Hubby
1959 24' Tradewind
Windsor , Ontario
What a Driver!!!

So sorry to hear about the accident, but glad to hear all are ok.... You're sure one steady girl on the road.... don't know if I'd have stayed upright on the rubber.....

Gypsygirl1 and Hubby
1959 A/S Tradewind Landyacht 24ft (the traveller)
1952 Royal Spartanette 35ft (summer home)
1954 Pacemaker 32 ft (summer guesthouse)
Tin Can Tourists Vintage Trailer Club
gypsygirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote