Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2011, 10:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
She is home and we have been on a shopping spree

On Sunday we towed our As 27FB International to her new home. We quickly planned a trip to San Onofre State Beach. Then we realized....
The original trailer queen mattress is too small and too hard....
We need dishes, cups, flatware, shower stuff, bathroom stuff....
and on and on and on...

First things first:
Clean... clean... clean. The previous owners took very good care of her, but we want to create our own mess

Then we went to Costco and purchased a full size queen mattress (very comfortable and my feet don't hang over the end). Then Becky got a some of floor mats for the floor next to the bed, outside the shower, place mats, kitchen utensils, and other necessities like coffee mugs, wine and champagne plasticware (of course we will need to toast our first trip with champagne). Realizing that we may be over thinking this, so we are slowing down and are going to see how this first trip goes, and then start adding goodies.

One thing we want to get is an outdoor mat for under the awning. But we don't know what to get or how big it should be. Any suggestions on the outdoor mat or other 'must have goodies' would be greatly appreciated.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:00 PM   #2

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Sounds like your having a great time! After a couple trips you will know what you need and what you don't. I went nuts with storage containers, Click Clack brand to be exact. http://storageware.clickclack.com/

They keep the chips and other stuff fresh and they are great for the fridge. Also poly carbonate wine, martini glasses. For the outdoor rug we got ours from Costco but it's a smaller size, if you need a bigger one maybe you could have them sewn together.

Have fun shopping and yes, you will buy too much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3599439122.png
Views:	150
Size:	800.6 KB
ID:	126864   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1740457602.png
Views:	152
Size:	1,023.2 KB
ID:	126865  

blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Have lots of fun with your new 'toy'...

For a mat, we use one of those woven reed type RV mats, I think they are about 8x12 feet, or so...I've even seen them at Wal-Mart now, in the RV section near the auto parts - same type the RV guys carry, but a few bucks less...

We also use one of those small plastic 'grass' type door mats outside below the steps - really helps keep some of the sand outside!

We try to find lighter, plastic stuff for our utensils, etc., to help keep the weight down - doesn't sound like much, but it all adds up in a hurry when you begin stowing all that 'stuff' you think you can't do without!

Periodically, I grab stuff we haven't used and cart it back into our house! I've found we can usually pick up something we've missed, on the road anyway - if we really need it!

Love that 27FB model! Great choice!
Old 04-13-2011, 07:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Oh happy times! You are smart to slow and see what you really need after a couple trips. Over 4-5 years I developed a working list of essential items for my tent camping. It was easier because I loaded/unloaded every trip and learned what to remove from the packing and what to keep. With the trailer, it seems a bit harder because I "ratted away" so much stuff that is now never used.

I bought a couple indoor/outdoor 5x8 rugs that I roll and keep by the propane tanks - but am finding that I use these less and less. The large woven RV mats (9x12 or 9x18) are much better - larger, lighter, and dry faster.

For my first few trip, I added the dishes, towles and cleaning stuff. It took me too long to finally get a proper broom (one that was stiff enough to brush the i/o mat) and leveling blocks. So you might add those to your list.

Over the past couple years, I've managed to duplicate most of my houseware items so that I don't have to drag them in/out of the house: coffee maker, toaster, blow-dryer , desk-top fan, stick vacuum, flashlights, camp chairs, etc. Some of these items came from the SPCA thrift shop...

Hope your trip is a blast! Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Some of our most frequently used items:
  • Outlet power tester
  • Magnetic level
  • Led flashlight
  • Disposable rubber gloves (dump station)
  • Lynx levelers
  • Small mat at front door - amazing what dirt you can track in!
  • Wheel chocks
  • Small toolkit with basic tools - screwdrivers, hammer, knife, wrench, duct tape, etc
  • Plastic square tub for hoses

Have fun outfitting!
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:25 AM   #6

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Since there will probably never be a shortage of "nice to have" stuff for our shared addiction...er.. hobby, there's no reason to be in a rush to get everything RIGHT NOW (says the guy who already has a shopping list and a few odds and ends inbound for his trailer before even getting a tow vehicle.)

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Los Angeles , California
Shopping is slowing down as we are getting ready for our first trip. Here is a peek at our new AS from the inside out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS Inside.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	126933  
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Old 04-18-2011, 11:36 AM   #8

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
She looks great!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Scott & Becky,
Way to go you guys! Like you, we are stocking the AS for our first 'real' trip. We leave after church on Sunday (Easter), and head to the Smokies then up to Wisconsin and home to Virginia. Yep, we've bought way too much stuff. As old tent campers, we have an inkling of what to take and what to leave home, but it's So Tempting to stock her full of nice things. From one coast to another, happy camping.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Los Angeles , California
Can't wait for our next trip!

Work is crazed and we are chomping at the bit to get out of Dodge! Our next schedule trip is to Morro Bay in mid-May for only a couple of days for Becky's birthday. Unfortunately we will miss the rally there the following weekend, but work calls... and I need to start paying for our new AS. We can't get our this coming weekend, but will try to find an open camp site in So. California the following weekend for a short three day trip. We need to figure out when we can take a week or two off and really go exploring. May not happen until Fall, but it will come.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Old 04-18-2011, 10:12 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
My favorite places to get RV items are Ross and Marshall's. TJ Maxx is good but the others are more convenient for me.
They usually have a lot of rectangular air tight containers.
I have bought all my Caphalon, Analon and Circulon pans there. I look for the ones with metal lids and shorter handles.
They usually have the smaller air cookie sheets and small jelly roll pans that fit perfectly in an RV oven. (Not needed if you have the micro option)
One of my favorites are the knives in sleeves. The brand escapes me but they have colored blades and handles.
I purchased my collapsible bowl and colander there too.
My other favorites are Target and Ikea.
The Ikea towels are great because they come with a loop for hanging to dry.
Target has great melamine and polycarbonite dishes.

All Airstreamers need Tervis Tumblers. Classics need to stick together.
I usually order direct from Tervis. I also purchase at Bed Bath and beyond. The flamingo and Airstream being pulled by a bike versions can be purchased at the Airstream website store.

Oh, and one final thing...Scott RV toilet paper can be found in the RV section of any Wal-Mart. It is far superior to any other brand.
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Los Angeles , California
On the topic of TP..... Will the Costco brand work in the AS's black tank? The packaging states it is compatible with septic tanks. Someone told me that it was okay, but would like to confirm this before we have a problem....
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Old 04-18-2011, 10:33 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Yes that is OK...it is probably 1 ply and if it says "septic tank safe" it will be fine...we use a similar TP product and have no problems. You can test it by putting a sheet or two into a jar of water and shaking it...if it disentegrates easily it's OK...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote