Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2006, 09:19 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Cincinnati , Ohio
Shakedown Cruise: New Mexico

Back (actually for a coupla weeks) from our first big trip with Toasty. Here are some pics, including a few of our precious toy in interesting locations. Perhaps I should post a couple of the AS pics here also...

http://home.fuse.net/algoma/new_mexi...006_index.html

The trip was GREAT, 16 days and about 3500 miles from Cincinnati to north central New Mexico and back. Absolutely no problems towing, absolutely no problems with the trailer. Following is a compendium of little things we learned; perhaps a few will be handy for others:

* a 16' bambi was enough space for these two adults and one cat. we are always running into each other at home, but in the trailer it was mostly a well-choreographed ballet. we camped happily for two straight weeks.

* short drives between no-hookup sites are not enough to fully recharge the battery. we only occasionally had electric hookups, and drove only 50-100 miles every few days. house battery voltage steadily dropped between electric sites.

* this may seem obvious, but washboard dirt roads shake the H#LL out of the trailer! anything not FIRMLY tied down, including nominally attached stuff like stove burners and cabinet doors will be found on the floor under the dinette later.

* you need to be able to adapt any hose or fitting ever made in order to flush your tanks. we brought our own hose, a couple of barbs, and hose clamps, and still ran into dump stations at which we could not flush due to the weird ends on their hoses.

* the fridge can successfully cool without its fan in mid-eighties temperatures IF the louvered doors over the outside vents are removed. on windy days the flame will blow out however. don't forget to put 'em back on!

* a Honda Ridgeline has enough guts to pull a 16' Bambi to 9100 feet at 45 MPH in 3rd and 4th gear without overheating or apparent strain. we hadn't intended to make this test, but happily we passed it with ease.

* got between 10.5 and 14.5 MPG. premium fuel increased mileage by about 2 MPG and was well worth the 20-cent price diff.

* a man can survive for 16 days without input of a single photon generated by a cathode ray tube. i wasn't sure this was possible, but i actually found this reading thing to be an acceptable substitute.

jon
Toasty's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
excellent photos! what camera? I'm surprised you didn't get he obligatory shot of the chapel in Rancho de Taos, I mean, everyone else has.

I've been down to Santa Fe numerous times but never heard of Tent Rocks. Will visit there soon!

Yes, you should post more--photos and text.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Jon,
What a great photojournal of the splendors of New Mexico, including the rattler! Thanks for sharing your trip with us. Mimi and I just love New Mexico for it's southwestern charm and lack of crowds. What a trip you had and how you must have enjoyed every moment.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:46 AM   #4
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty's Dad

* got between 10.5 and 14.5 MPG. premium fuel increased mileage by about 2 MPG and was well worth the 20-cent price diff.

jon
I always wondered how much you gain from preimum gas

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:59 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Cincinnati , Ohio
hi roger,

the camera's a Canon Powershot (PS1???). our first digital camera, and it by golly makes me feel like I kind of know what I'm doing! been amazed at the quality of the photos we get. i've got nothing to compare it to, but for <300 bucks i'm thrilled.

yeah, the Tent Rocks are incredible. there seems to be a fair amount of utah-quality rock in New Mexico, but it's scattered all over the state and much less well known. which doesn't exactly make me unhappy .

j
Old 06-06-2006, 10:06 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Cincinnati , Ohio
hi rodney,

it was a good test, too. on the way out we were using regular. we switched to premium late in the trip, when we realized we'd be towing at altitude (the owner's manual suggested it). when we next filled up, we said hey, what's this mileage increase?!? and drove back on premium.

we had over 1000 miles over the same terrain with and without premium, and therefore i think the observations are valid, especially since we'd had no expectation of MPG change.

of course as they say, YMMV.

jon
Old 06-06-2006, 10:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
wow. very nice trip. your report comes at a perfect time as i leave for a vintage trailer rally in chama, nm, next tuesday (6/13). love the pics.
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:53 AM   #8
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Hi Jon.

Enjoyed the photos and comments very much. Nice job with the new digi-cam.

There was one photo that looked like the imprint of a rather large animal, or if that is your foot print, I can recommend a decent foot Dr.

Glad the trip was uneventful mechanically speaking. You must be anxious to get out again.

Best wishes, and welcome back.

Jonathan
Old 06-06-2006, 10:58 AM   #9
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
kudos on the website

Nice website, I like the clean design of the main page alot! . What program was that done in if you dont mind?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 11:12 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Cincinnati , Ohio
hi jonathan,

the footprint is from a mountain lion. we stupidly didn't put anything in the pic to scale it, but it was 3 - 3 1/2" across. not the biggest we've seen, but always a treat to find one.

i'd love to see the actual cat, but they're wary and elusive, so not likely.

----

hi rodney,

the page was coded in "jon". i'm one of those few sad Luddites who write html by hand. GUI tools tend to drive me nuts - give me that old-time command prompt.

jon
Old 06-06-2006, 02:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Mucho Thanks!

Hey, T Dad, thanks so much for sharing the fantastic pictures of my home state! We can't wait to drag our Airstream up to Villanueva. We've never been there, and your photos have inspired even though of us thoroughly saturated with the beauty of this Land of Enchantment.

Glad you had a good trip. Please post your descriptions of other campgrounds visited at the "campgrounds" tab on this forum, if you haven't already done so.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:02 PM   #12
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Thanks for the wonderful travel log, great pics!

mICHAEL
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:35 PM   #13
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Thumbs up Great thread contribution! Lovely website.

So glad you had a wonderful trip without problems! I really enjoyed your photos, looks like talent to me! Best wishes for the rest of the camping season!
Old 06-06-2006, 08:40 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev
Enjoyed the photos and comments very much. Nice job with the new digi-cam.

Glad the trip was uneventful mechanically speaking. You must be anxious to get out again.
Jonathan -- like in joining us for the Midwest Rally this weekend? Bet Jon is washing up like crazy!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:25 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Beautiful!

Thanks for the pics and all the best of luck with your new AS. I"ll be in that area next summer (no AS though, backpacking in the Philmont Scout Ranch for 12 days with a bunch of teenagers - YIKES!!!). I've been there twice before and it is TRULY a beautiful place - even a couple of years ago when a lot of it burned in a forest fire.

steve
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:58 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Cincinnati , Ohio
>ike in joining us for the Midwest Rally this weekend? Bet Jon is washing up like >crazy!

Hello Canoe Stream,

Yeah, can't wait to meet you guys this weekend! We did run Toasty and his tow-er through the spray-it-yourself carwash upon our return, and burned through most of a roll of quarters.

But my plans to be spic-and-span and Walbernized in time for the rally have come to naught.

So many things in life wind up like that...

See ya there,
jon
Old 06-07-2006, 12:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
jon,
Wonderful pictures and a very nice presentation. Thanks for sharing! Folks like you are an inspiration for the rest of us to "get out there".
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:53 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
... I've been down to Santa Fe numerous times but never heard of Tent Rocks. Will visit there soon! ...
That's Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks National Monument (BLM).

http://www.nm.blm.gov/recreation/alb...sha_katuwe.htm

Lynn