Old 09-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Boston , Massachusetts
Shake down of The Silver Savoy

We did it! Well, sort of. May not have towed her, but stayed in her for the weekend nonetheless.

Our sales rep arranged for us to have a weekend at a campground in Brookline, New Hampshire. Our rep and everyone at the dealership has been amazing throughout the entire experience. Not only did they tow her, they also paid for our weekend at the CG. After our two hour demo, which was very helpful, our rep towed her over to the campground for us. He then stayed with us while we connected and turned on everything. He returned Sunday evening after we had disconnected everything, checked that we did things correctly, hooked her up and pulled her away. Needless to say, I shed a tear. OK, more than one.

The weekend went without a hitch (collective groans -- sorry, I couldn't resist). The campground, although small, was lovely, and we had no rigs on either side of us. A bit more open of a CG than we would have liked, but for our first trip, it was great. People were very friendly, the CG staff was very accommodating, and we were by far the smallest rig in the place (our 20 ft compared to the 30+ feet fifth wheels and class As around us).

Very few things to report about the Airstream after the trip. Some really minor issues, such as the bathroom exhaust coming on and off intermittently (and I've read that others have had problems with theirs as well), our back burner taking forever to light, the plastic clips to hold down the kitchen window blinds being off kilter (couldn't connect the blind to them), and a screw loose in my head . . . er, I mean a cabinet, which we fixed. Other than those issues, we didn't have many problems. The dealer will be fixing them this week.

We spent most of the weekend at the CG playing with things, poking our heads into storage spaces, and filling cabinets and bins. A couple quick runs to Walmart Supercenter for some I-just-realized-we-need items were our only forays outside of the park. My partner, about whom I was concerned wouldn't enjoy the experience, sat at the dinette a few times just gazing at everything saying, "I love her. I think we're really going to enjoy this." Of course, a few glasses of wine didn't hurt!

After my months of reading everything here and in all the RV books I could find, it was great to put the knowledge to use. Between that, the demo, and all the advice/tips we've read in here, we seemed to figure out quickly how things worked.

It wasn't ALL perfect. We were warned at our demo that they had to replace our systems monitor. They tried calibrating it, and it wasn't working properly. A new monitor was on back-order at Airstream, so they are supposed to get it this week. And, yes, we learned that after two days our gray water tank does get full. The inch or so of water over my feet after my final shower (navy showers, I promise!) was a red flag. "Honey, I think we have a clog." I hear him scurrying around the kitchen, "what do you mean. It's brand new!" he says. "Uh," says me, "the shower is not draining." Finally his memory kicked in and he mentioned the monitor not working and we probably just needed to drain the gray water. After drying (and dressing, of course), I went out with him, pulled out our new Rhino hose thingy, and pumped both tanks successfully. Didn't spill a drop!

Our dealer has offered to tow her once more before the snow falls if we can schedule it. We're really hoping to take him up on the offer. Even more, we're excitedly awaiting next spring when we'll have a tow vehicle and a chance to really hit the road.

I want to send out a giant thanks to all of you here who have shared so much knowledge and experience for total newbies like us to plow through. We really did glean many tips and took away some great advice. Our hats are off to all of you in deepest gratitude.

Sorry for the long winded post . . . I'll just end with a few pics from our weekend (if I can figure out how to post 'em). If I post the pics incorrectly, any advice is welcome.

David and Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TSS FieldnStream 09.2013.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	297.2 KB
ID:	196781   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dave in front of TSS.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	303.8 KB
ID:	196782  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hudson on bed.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	196783   Click image for larger version

Name:	David and the stinky slinky.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	331.6 KB
ID:	196784  

Dot Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Great write-up of what sounds like a wonderful experience. Glad the dumping went well.

The first time I dumped our trailer was at a Provincial Park. What they don't tell you is that the dump station is actually outside the park proper. So we signed in, then had to turn the beast around and drive through the dump station where I very nearly filled up our fresh water tank from the hose designed to rinse your sewer connection.

It was pouring rain, it was the first time I had done this and I almost missed the huge red sign shouting in big letters "DANGER - DO NOT DRINK THIS WATER".

Saw it just in time and pulled forward to the much smaller blue sign reading "POTABLE WATER".

andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
2006 19' International CCD
Denville , New Jersey
Welcome, what a great story. I have camped up your way, if you are looking for a much bigger campground, I use Normandy Farms, great folks very very big, I love seeing all the different rigs there.

We areleaving next Monday for a week in VT, first Greenwood Campground( as suggested by a forum member), then moving to Camping on the Battenkill in Arlington, can't wait for a week of relaxing.

Good luck with your new AS.
2006 Bambi CCD ("EireStream!!")
2010 Funfinder
2005 T@B
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:33 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Boston , Massachusetts
Andreasduess, great save on that water. That might have been disgusting. We didn't have a rinse hose at first and almost used our potable water hose to rinse out the black tank because we didn't have an extra hose. We ran off to Walmart (again) to pick up a garden hose. Water pressure was too much for the cheap hose we bought, and I think more water pushed out around the connection than got into the tank.

Thanks for the recommendations, Sbb. We'll have to check out Normandy Farms. We figure we'll be camping mostly around New England next year until we can take a week. Enjoy your week in VT. It's beautiful up here this time of year. We saw a little color last weekend, but it was still early. Hopefully it should be vibrant when you are in VT.
Dot Dave is offline   Reply With Quote