Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2014, 07:37 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
Sewer Solution or 'Stinky Slinky'

Hi,
We just bought a new "Sewer Solution" for our 30 foot Classic. My question is when camping at a park with a dump station, does it take too long to set up the Sewer Solution to dump or is it better to bring the "Stinky Slinky" in order to save time and not make people waiting in line mad? My husband is skeptical about the Sewer Solution and is worried it would take too much time to dump. I'd like to hear what you folks think who have used the Sewer Solution. Thanks.
kswelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I use a sewer solution and have waited a lot longer for people using a stinky slinky. So no quilt as far as I am concerned if someone has to wait an extra minute or two for me to finish up.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:31 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have been using the Sewer Solution exclusively for eight years now. We do carry a slinky for quick gray water dumps at public dump stations. I would not consider doing a black water dump with the slinky.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
We use the slinky for everything. Dump black, dump grey, a quick rinse with the hose and all is good. The sewer solution just sounds like a lot of work to me.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
It probably boils down to personal preference and present situations. I carry a Sewer Solution and use it primarily when a campground's septic port won't allow for a decent downhill slope for the slinky to function properly or I want to use the back flush feature of the SS to rinse the BW tank. The SS works very well for me and have not regretted buying one. As for a dump station, if it is likely there may be others waiting, I would use the slinky for its simplicity and be on my way in short order. Keep in mind the SS needs pressurized water to work. I've run across dump stations that either have no supply or more commonly, the rinse hose has no fitting. In this situation, you would have to use your onboard pump and FW supply to operate the SS with a hose you won't ever use for drinking water. If you've been dry camping, you may not have a lot of water left.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:20 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
We carry a Sewer Solution, but have found that we end up using the slinky every time. We have found that the SS can take a long time to completely handle a dump and is more time consuming and complicated to set up so for 2013 at least, it up only being stored in the rear compartment.
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:27 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
Like my Granny used to say, "Different strokes for different folks".
I carry 2 stinkeys, a short one for dump stations and short hauls and a long one for when its needed. I also carry the SS for when its needed. BTW, I also have a "water thief" Water Thief Faucet Adapter - GoWesty Camper Products - parts supplier for VW Vanagon, Eurovan, and Bus for when its needed at places where thy cut off the threaded fitting on the rinse hose.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:10 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
I have a sewer solution and always use it campgrounds. I would never use it at a dump station. There are too many things to drag out, hookup and then clean up and put away while others are waiting. It is pretty much like handing your coupons to the checker in a super market after she has checked all your items, and then waiting to be told the total, before you start a full body and possessions search to find your check book. You also have to carry a water thief and perhaps a couple hose clamps, because many dump stations have no threads on the water source. (Primarily to keep "not-so-smart" people from filling their fresh water tank from a probably contaminated source, but possibly also to keep other "not-so-considerate" people from using a sewer solution).

I also don't buy the argument that is OK to delay some person behind me because someone in front of me delayed me. Someone has the break the "wasting other peoples' time" chain.
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Sewer Solution is a good clean-use product, but like many things is not perfect for all possibilities. Bring them both and you've got the bases covered. We started that way, but never use the slinky.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:43 AM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

We seldom 'hook-up' and can 'dump' from the pad at home, so a rhino-flex has worked well for us.

POI....the ride home with the BT sloshing does a lot to keep things flowing when the valve is eventually pulled.

Bob
Old 01-01-2014, 11:45 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
I have had a sewer solution for 5 years. I use it only for dumping at home into a house sewer clean-out when needed. I have been caught a number of times with holding tanks that need to be flushed or emptied after I leave the campground for one reason or another. The sewer solution is great for this. It comes with fittings that will allow you to hook to PVC pipe. I have 5 lengths of PVC side aside that I use with the sewer solution to connect from the trailer to the clean-out on the house.

I have not ever used it at a dump station or at a camp site with hook ups. I would use it at a campground or dump station if it was the only good way to dump the tanks (slope issue tanks to dump for example).
Old 01-01-2014, 11:53 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3 View Post
I have had a sewer solution for 5 years. I use it only for dumping at home into a house sewer clean-out when needed. I have been caught a number of times with holding tanks that need to be flushed or emptied after I leave the campground for one reason or another. The sewer solution is great for this. It comes with fittings that will allow you to hook to PVC pipe. I have 5 lengths of PVC side aside that I use with the sewer solution to connect from the trailer to the clean-out on the house.

I have not ever used it at a dump station or at a camp site with hook ups. I would use it at a campground or dump station if it was the only good way to dump the tanks (slope issue tanks to dump for example).
I also dump my tanks at home with the sewer solution and 30 feet of PVC pipe I have a dump pipe into the sewer inside our garage. However I also always use it in campgrounds. That is due to bad experiences with slinkys, including having a bear chew on and crush one.

Ken
Old 01-01-2014, 12:05 PM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question Wondering.....

......the few times we stayed where we had a sewer connection I didn't leave the dump hose connected....just dumped when needed....I'm in the minority?

Bob
Old 01-01-2014, 12:39 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
......the few times we stayed where we had a sewer connection I didn't leave the dump hose connected....just dumped when needed....I'm in the minority?

Bob
I leave my sewer solution connected without the water supply hose. I periodically open the valve to drain the gray tank. It is a PITA to have the shower drain backup while you are taking a shower. There are only two of us and we have never been in one place long enough to fill the black water tank. When it is time to leave a campground, I attach the sewer solution's water supply hose and dump the black tank, unless we've only been there over night.

When I used a slinky, I always left it hooked up and am sure that 90% plus of others do also. I also always carried a spare hose after the bear destroyed one.

Ken
Old 01-01-2014, 03:14 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

Bob
Same with us.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My vintage trailer does not have a gray water tank. If there is a sewer pipe at the camp site I hook up the sewer solution so that the gray water can drain away. If no pipe I us a blue tank. I only dump the black water tank when full or when getting ready to hit the road. I have only had to use a public sewer dump one time. There was no one in front of me and no one behind so no one was inconvenienced or or had to wait for me to finish. I have a sewer trap in my front yard and have used that several times. I would much rather do that if possible. My yard has a nice slope to it and I get a good drain.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 01-01-2014, 04:17 PM   #17
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Like several other posters, I have the sewer solution but only use it for dumping tanks at my house, where I have a slight uphill slope towards the drain.

The sewer solution is a poor choice for use at a dump stations. It requires more complicated setup and takes longer to drain the tanks. In my travels, I have encountered a number of dump stations that either have no water available at all or that have only a gravity tank available that does not provide sufficient pressure for the sewer solution to work. I have also encountered dump stations arranged in such a way that it would be difficult to connect the water hose to the sewer solution.

Occasionally there is a line of rigs at the dump station and etiquette would seem to require that the process be completed as expediently as possible.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have seen people washing their rigs at dump stations with trailers in line waiting on them to finish and get out of the way. Now that is rude.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:48 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I have seen people washing their rigs at dump stations with trailers in line waiting on them to finish and get out of the way. Now that is rude.
Since we all have a limited irreplaceable amount of time to live, theft of another's time should be a much greater crime than theft of mere property.

(this does not apply to the time you wasted because I sucked you into reading this)

Ken
Old 01-01-2014, 06:19 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Ken, lately I have plenty of time to waste. The joys of a second retirement.