Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2018, 09:09 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
ERIE , Colorado
Sequioa Lodgepole Campground Question

Hello this is my first post as my wife and I just bought a 25' Flying Cloud two weeks ago.

Im a bit concerned about a trip we booked to Sequioa in September. I reserved a spot in the Lodgepole campground that indicates a 28' back in driveway. My wife and I used to tent camp exclusively and never really considered the size of the space we reserved. When I made the reservation I was only thinking about the trailer size and completely forgot about my tow vehicle (2015 F150).

Has anyone camped at the Lodgepole that can possibly share some options as far as parking for my truck? Did I make a huge mistake? I think I can cancel and get a refund but the trip would be a total loss as there are no more available spots during our trip.

Thanks in advance!
WadeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums!

Have you tried contacting someone at the campground directly? Is a map of the camping area available that shows your spot? Another consideration may be getting a 25' trailer into a 28' spot, if your trailer backing skills are not yet developed. You might, for instance, have to back the trailer around a hard corner in order to get it into your spot (because the spot "Ts" into the main drive, and you can't straighten out and then back straight in).

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:59 AM   #3
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Ditto on the above suggestions. Call the park service. Some spots have parking lot bumpers that you can back the rear end of the trailer over giving you room to park the TV. But many parks place large boulders at the end of the space which will limit your space. You can also park sideways if there is room.

However, I will caution you with the fact that the Kings Highway is loaded with tight hairpin turns and constant grades. We stayed at a small RV park at the very south end of the park and drove in with out trailer. I see you are from CO and may be use to mountains but don't know if you want to tackle Sequoia roads on your maiden towing adventure.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:02 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
Silver City , New Mexico
Just about all Forestry campground spots are limited to 28' and are back-ins. If you have a CG map, check the layout of 'your reserved space' - most will have room for a tow vehicle, although un-coupled from your trailer. Another option is to back your trailer in beyond the actual 'space' thereby leaving room for your TV too.

I wouldn't cancel a reservation like that, if they're so hard to get.

Good luck - happy trails - and be safe!
ursuit - FS; $$$$ - GONE
If it ain't broke I can break it
A dime still makes a pretty good screwdriver
journeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:31 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
ERIE , Colorado
Thanks for the reply's, as far as backing in to the spot its not in an ideal location but is doable as I have a lot of experience backing up trailers. The spot appears (google maps and .gov site picture) to have a tent space behind the driveway with some rocks that might be able to be moved. We are camping in spot 202.

My thought is worst case scenario if my TV wont fit I could park at the parking lot near a trailhead in the campsite or somewhere near by.

I tried calling yesterday to talk to someone but sat on hold for 20 minutes before giving up. Ill try again today, fingers crossed.

Based on some research it looks like it would be best for me to take 180 into the park, does anyone have experience on that road?
Old 05-17-2018, 10:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
We were in Sequoia/Kings Canyon earlier this month. My Wife was tired of the twisty roads when we entered Kings Canyon so we camped at Azalea CG for three days instead of Lodgepole as originally planned. The next day we drove to Lodgepole area and looked around. There are some places to park your TV but I imagine the go rather fast. Calling the CG would be the best call. Campsitephotos.com and youtube could be helpful as well.
You have other options if lodgepole doesn't work. Dorst Creek looked nice and we enjoyed staying at Azalea. There was a full hookup place outside the park on Hwy180 as well.
Sequoia was awesome! Enjoy
Old 05-17-2018, 01:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by WadeF View Post
Thanks for the reply's, as far as backing in to the spot its not in an ideal location but is doable as I have a lot of experience backing up trailers. The spot appears (google maps and .gov site picture) to have a tent space behind the driveway with some rocks that might be able to be moved. We are camping in spot 202.

My thought is worst case scenario if my TV wont fit I could park at the parking lot near a trailhead in the campsite or somewhere near by.

I tried calling yesterday to talk to someone but sat on hold for 20 minutes before giving up. Ill try again today, fingers crossed.

Based on some research it looks like it would be best for me to take 180 into the park, does anyone have experience on that road?

I talked to my wife about your situation. She recalled that there was a rather large parking area just past the kiosk at Lodgepole CG. Also, highway 180 is the way we went in and out. No problems but it is a long and winding road with a good amount of elevation change. (5000 ft???) Fuel was available in Stony Creek (cash only when we were there)
Old 05-17-2018, 02:47 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
ERIE , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosch View Post
I talked to my wife about your situation. She recalled that there was a rather large parking area just past the kiosk at Lodgepole CG. Also, highway 180 is the way we went in and out. No problems but it is a long and winding road with a good amount of elevation change. (5000 ft???) Fuel was available in Stony Creek (cash only when we were there)
Outstanding, thank you so much for looking into that for us!!
Old 05-18-2018, 09:47 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
San Diego , California
Just left Lodgepole. You shouldn’t have a problem either way. There are spots to park your truck (might not be near your spot though.) Worst case is they have a huge parking lot before you cross the bridge that you can use.
Tuna Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:13 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
ERIE , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Can View Post
Just left Lodgepole. You shouldn’t have a problem either way. There are spots to park your truck (might not be near your spot though.) Worst case is they have a huge parking lot before you cross the bridge that you can use.

Thanks Tuna Can!. The parking lot does ease my concerns, hopefully we can park in our spot but if not Ill be happy to park in the parking lot. Thanks for the reply!
Old 05-18-2018, 10:48 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Ww have been to Sequoia ... I would not cancel your reservation. Then you'd have nothing. It will work out, even if you have to park your TV elsewhere. Most importantly, enjoy yourselves! It's an awesome place.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:37 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
Welcome to the Airstream family. When towing Hwy 180 is the only safe way in.
I don't tow into Sequoia. I usually stay at Sequoia RV Ranch in Three Rivers. Then I take the twisty road in my truck. I have camped in a tent at Dorst campground. While there we drove through the loops looking for a site we could get a trailer in. We concluded that 23 feet or less would be as large as I would be comfortable with. Don't count on moving rocks. They are more like boulders and too heavy. Trees along the road near your site can be a problem. The front of your TV may not make the swing.
Having listed the possible concerns, try calling the visitors center for advice. I would not cancel my reservation just yet.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote